It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

Post subject: Penobscot River
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm 
Noob

Years ago I bought a jeep Cherokee and drove up to the Penobscot Rive for a rafting trip. I ended up camping in an area that 4 wheel drive was needed to access. I remember we ended paying a fee at a road block with a supply store. I was told to we could access any of the lakes in the region and camp. the access roads went on for miles, depending on which one someone choose. However, there was no power, no bathrooms, and no buildings once you drove in. I ended up being the only one on this lake front beach; and the beach went on and on.

By chance do any of you happen to know the area I am talking about? I see that there are many camping spots, though, the place I am talking about was not nearly build up like the ones I have seen online. Or, do you happen to know if there are any other places like this in New England other then ME?

Jay

Post subject: Re: Penobscot River
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm 
Noob

Was it the North Maine woods....

http://www.northmainewoods.org/camping.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 am 
Club President

I went on a white water rafting day trip many years ago on the Penobscot. It's a very nice area, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it back there since.

Another area I would recommend would be the Saco River. My friends and I used to canoe down a 13 mile stretch of it over the course of 2 days, staying overnight on a section of beach along the river. That was a fun time, and sounds similar to what you're describing. We used to rent canoes from a company in Fryeburg, ME, which dropped us off and picked us up at the end of the trip. I want to say that we got the canoes from either Saco River Canoe & Kayak or Saco Canoe & Kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:40 am 
Noob

Dave99,

That may be near the area!! I wish I could remember.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Noob

I am sure it was. I did some research last year and its a big area once you enter its fend for yourself time!

I ended up staying in Baxter state park and climbing the Kathadan (sp?). That was a good time.

Rafted the Penobscot as well but the water was so big they wouldn't take us down the grade 5 stuff, to dangerous! Has fun ont he grade 4 stuff though.

Personally I havent experienced the solitude you get in Maine in NH/VT/MA etc.