It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

Post subject: Then vs. Now
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 am 
Club Secretary

I had this thought while talking to a friend and a NEXterra Member.

I have the same level of fun now, with my highly modified Xterra, as I did with my Frontier when it had a 2ā€ Daystar spacer/shackle lift and stock Pro-4X skids.

Iā€™m not talking about ā€˜itā€™s more capable, so I can do more hard things with itā€™. I mean excitement going to the property in the morning, shaky hand, hard swallowing adrenaline feeling coming up to a new obstacle. The enjoyment you receive from this hobby.

What do you guys and ladies think?

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

Post subject: Re: Then vs. Now
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am 
Forum User

Pure enjoyment.

Last edited by Carpy on Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 am 
Club President

I think the thing that has helped me over the years is not just modifying the truck, but also listening to and watching the veteran members of the group. Their advice and lessons have helped put me at ease numerous times, and in doing so has made many trips that much more fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm 
Supporting Member

I'm thankful to have a community that's much closer than, say, Xterra Crew. We may not always agree, but we're always respectful of each other and our rigs. I don't make many runs a year for multiple reasons, but I can tell you that my wife just wishes I would shut up about a week out. Then the anticipation, the final check for tools and fluids........it's a unique and special hobby that we share.

Also, can I fit 37's on a melt mod? (j/k, that was a shot at Xterra Crew)

Post subject: Then vs. Now
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:24 pm 
Global Moderator

I bought my truck new back in 2001. I bought a front bumper, sliders and skid plates in ā€™03 and headed to my first Off-road event, ECXC in 2004. Iā€™ve been daily driving and wheeling my truck ever since.
Before my parents got too old two get in and out of the truck it was my families only vehicle and made trips to south Jersey and PA as well as getting wheeled almost monthly.
My wife has a CX9 we got in 2007 that we use for family now, but I still drive my truck to work if the weather is bad; below freezing, raining, snowing, etc. If itā€™s nice I ride my bike. I enjoy driving my truck in the city and prefer it to the CX9. No one cuts me off and it doesnā€™t look like almost everything else driving aroundā€¦certainly not like any of the thousands of pristine cookie cutter Jeeps.
I drive my truck to and from the trail. As anyone that has been on the trail with me will attest, I wheel her but that doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t worry about breaking something. I built my truck to survive the trails I want to wheel. Those trails get tougher almost every time I go wheeling. If youā€™re happy wheeling the same Green or maybe Blue trails year after year thatā€™s cool but Iā€™d get bored. I donā€™t think I have modified my truck to stroke my ego in any way. I do a lot of the modifying myself or am fully involved with the process. Modifying my truck is half the hobby.
Last weekend I drove my 2001 Xterra to Rausch and wheeled Black and, for the first time a few Red trails. I wonā€™t lie and say I didnā€™t get some damage or do one or two stupid things but for me itā€™s part of the fun. Afterwards I drove my truck 150 miles back to Brooklyn, got my broken glass fixed yesterday all good.
This weekend Iā€™m hoping to change my 35ā€™s to my 33ā€™s in an attempt to save them from the city wear and then California Cat Delete the truck. This, to me, is a good time. :freak: beer1

Not for nothing, I havenā€™t come across any modifying of ego in this club. I havenā€™t come across bragging or pushing parts in this club. Who are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm 
Club Secretary

I agree. Modifying my X is part of the fun of wheeling. Every time I get to add some improvement it feels like I have a new truck again. Iā€™m excited to see how it handles after. And what new obstacles or lines I can run.

Something I have noticed, from myself and others, is that the more modified the rig is, the more the driver is willing to try. The greater risks donā€™t necessarily come with greater enjoyment, but the chance of damage and level of damage does increase.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:37 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
I agree. Modifying my X is part of the fun of wheeling. Every time I get to add some improvement it feels like I have a new truck again. Iā€™m excited to see how it handles after. And what new obstacles or lines I can run.

Something I have noticed, from myself and others, is that the more modified the rig is, the more the driver is willing to try. The greater risks donā€™t necessarily come with greater enjoyment, but the chance of damage and level of damage does increase.

Pushing my rig helps me understand what it needs. I was going to get a winch next, but after making an ass out of myself barreling through the rock garden, I've switched to finishing off the HF skid set. The Ballistic Fab C200K cover is already to go if the weather ever stops sucking.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm 
Forum User

Can't wait to get back out there.

Last edited by Carpy on Thu May 02, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 pm 
Forum User

murphy wrote:

Murphy, you and ripper and Alicia have been an amazing start for me, to get me to a comfortable area in this hobby. I also gained 3 great freinds on the sidelines. You 3 also led me to an amazing group that has also been helpful, with advising on lines to pick and being there for a guide to help make better decisions to help avoid damage. There are those who can and want to go further and push harder for there rigs capabilities, and like blkn X had mentioned, greens can get boring for his preference. But that depends if your comfort level reaches bigger rocks. I can say what it's capable of doing, is by far more then I ever anticipated. Do I want bigger? Sure I'll take a titan swap, but the question is I have to ask myself after an event is, do I really need to. Probably not, considering finances, and possible breaks i, a larger expense. The bigger the lift, the more it costs to replace. Not something I could do. But if I break something now, it's tough but not that bad. Plus mine is built for more overlanding then rock climbing. Still fun to impress the jeep clubs though, lol.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:

So much this. I recently did a brake upgrade and I was like a kid on Christmas for about a month afterwards

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:13 am 
Noob

The community here has helped me become more confident in my rig. I've been out on three events and leave every time with a huge adrenaline high, a new shopping list, and some new friends. i'm looking forward to putting skids on the X a gain more confidence in crawling over obstacles.

My first outing was ecxc2018 and i pulled up behind Jeffpro4x for the green group. dude immediately came over introduced himself along with a few other people. i knew nothing about airing down tires, hell i didn't even pack food because i assumed rausch would have a food truck... :freak: when we stopped for lunch the couple next to me noticed that my buddy and i werent eating and asked if we had food. they gave us two of their sandwhiches.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 am 
Noob

This is all so true what we all say!! I love wheeling and have done different kinds! I am always still learning how to do it figuring tings out building skills and learning new ones! I have had fun in the desert with an 88 2wd single cab ranger goofing around with friends and I have wheeled other built 4x4s and its ALL FUN! LMao no matter the level of the vehicle. Mine is also a Daily driver and I have had to fix a lot and have been careful on trails but yes they brake. But with everyone together we help each other fix it with tools parts and the labor...its all LOVE!
For me it has been hard to make friends here and this group was easy and friendly. I have made friends and gained a family ! Honestly I couldn't have asked for a better group of people!
Besides the people the fun is in building your rig to something! Wether its major wheeling, overloading or just a few things and mostly stock. I love looking for parts, complaining, reading reviews, DIY and all of it! Taking ideas for each other and building on it for your needs.
This is what its all about. Building rigs and the offroad family!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:01 pm 
Global Moderator

I love my ā€˜04 setup even though I canā€™t get out anymore much at all, it still gets driven often. Up here we get some snow and couple feet really doesnā€™t phase the truck so long as there is something to grip.

So far as trails Iā€™m just as happy trail riding so long as Iā€™m not being pulled through crap, no one wants to be part of that so itā€™s good to know what you have and are capable of doing. That way everyone has fun.

I miss wheeling but I miss my brothers more I think.

Hey gang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 am 
Supporting Member

^^^ Agreed. I haven't wheeled nearly as much as I'd like the last couple years, but I miss hanging out with the crew more than I miss hammering through the woods. But, so long as I get out there a couple times a year, it'll have to do.

I wheeled the truck basically bone stock. Just full armor... At Rausch on the blue's. Smashed the bedside in on a truck that hadn't had a full year of payments yet. That hurt, but I wanted another piece of the trail that bit me so I built the truck to run blues with impunity. That morphed into what I have now and as the truck go to be more capable, so did it's driver. With lots of help from this group on spotting lines and what to do, I got more comfortable behind the wheel.

Once it was paid for and built (and with another car in the driveway) it turned into 2nd gear, dump the clutch and hope for the best.

I will say that once I didn't have to worry about the truck getting me to work anymore, and knowing what I've put it through and it's always come back for more, made it a lot more enjoyable and relaxing to go and try some stuff I never would have before.