It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

Post subject: Re: the Tool thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm 
Supporting Member

RomeoEJ wrote:
I just picked up a set of the 3/8” Pro tite-wrench. Can be used with impact to some degree. Looks useful.

http://www.tite-reach.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to see if these have real value. Looking forward to a review!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm 
Global Moderator

RomeoEJ wrote:
I just picked up a set of the 3/8” Pro tite-wrench. Can be used with impact to some degree. Looks useful.

http://www.tite-reach.com

Is there a specific job you're doing that required that wrench?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm 
Forum User

Jess’s jeep (fucking jeeps) thermostats is bad and it only has 55k miles on it! Some of the bolts are very hard to reach so I hope this will help when it warms up a bit.

Post subject: the Tool thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 pm 
Club Vice President

Last month finally got myself a 1/2” impact, a Ridgid 18v. Nothing fancy but makes removing lug nuts easy.

What kind of sockets do you guys use to remove the brake calipers & such where the impact won’t fit? One of these bendy sockets?

I guess the tite reach tool would work too. <Edit> scratch that, I’m too cheap to pay $200 for the 1/2” TiteReach. Will stick to manual wrenches & cursing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm 
Global Moderator

DirtySocks wrote:
...What kind of sockets do you guys use to remove the brake calipers & such where the impact won’t fit? One of these bendy sockets?...

I use this;

Craftsman 1/2" Universal Joint. I've had it for many years and it's never failed. I use it with a 1/2" drive 22mm impact socket and a 1/2" drive 6" impact extension. I have the type you pictured to use with hand tools but the spherical ball design is better for the heavier load of an impact wrench.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm 
Club Vice President

Cool, thanks Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 pm 
Club Secretary

I agree with Tom. I’ve blown apart a few of the universal type swivels. I’ve had the same style, different brand 3/8” and 1/2” ball type swivel with no issues.

I have the Ridgid 18v 1/2” impact. It works well enough for most projects. Some tough nuts need a breaker bar to start with the impact to finish. If it’s the same generation tool as mine, it has 300 ft/lbs of torque. More than enough tightening power. I wish it had more breakaway power.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 pm 
Supporting Member

DirtySocks wrote:
Last month finally got myself a 1/2” impact, a Ridgid 18v. Nothing fancy but makes removing lug nuts easy.

What kind of sockets do you guys use to remove the brake calipers & such where the impact won’t fit? One of these bendy sockets?

I guess the tite reach tool would work too. <Edit> scratch that, I’m too cheap to pay $200 for the 1/2” TiteReach. Will stick to manual wrenches & cursing.

I have this cheap-a$$ wobble extension set. And it might be one of the most used tools in my garage!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/9-Piece-Wobb ... 3=&veh=sem

edit: obviously not for use with an impact wrench

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 am 
Supporting Member

DirtySocks wrote:

I use reg 3/8 drive ratchet and shallow impact socket. Otherwise I have 3/8 flex head breaker baror 3/8 IR 20V ratchet. Picked up a set of SK swivel 3/8 sockets 5 years ago they work great.

10 Piece 3/8" Drive 6 Point Swivel Metric Impact Socket Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRB52/re ... HAbCE7VS37

https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/e ... tchet.html

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 pm 
Club Secretary

I’ve been eyeballing a set of Gearwrenches for a while. The price has been fluctuating from the high $120’s to the $160’s. I finally pulled the trigger today. $128.99 with Amazon Prime. They won’t be in stock till Friday. I should see them early next week.

This is them. Gearwrench 9602 metric 16 piece reversible ratcheting combination wrench set. It has 8mm-25mm except for 20mm and 23mm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
I’ve been eyeballing a set of Gearwrenches for a while. The price has been fluctuating from the high $120’s to the $160’s. I finally pulled the trigger today. $128.99 with Amazon Prime. They won’t be in stock till Friday. I should see them early next week.

This is them. Gearwrench 9602 metric 16 piece reversible ratcheting combination wrench set. It has 8mm-25mm except for 20mm and 23mm.
I use gear wrenches everyday at work (plumber). And I have them for the X. They're amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:46 am 
Club Secretary

I used them while helping Will pull apart his old X and rebuild his new one. But they were the extra long straight ones, that you have to flip to reverse. They were great to use, but a pain because they didn’t have the offset.

I thought the swiveling set was the way to go, until I got a 5 piece SAE set from Harbor Freight for work. I found that the swivel is less helpful than I would hope. And irritating at times. I get that in certain situations they are priceless. I imagine the swivel would get in my way more often than it would help. So I landed on these.

From memory, I have used 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24, 32, and 36 on the X.

The sizes below 8mm are mostly dash fasteners. A ratchet and socket would be just as easy to use. The 36mm was an aftermarket CV nut that I no longer have..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Old thread revival!

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my brakes felt a bit “spongey”. Checking the brake system, I noticed the MC was a bit low and then that there was fluid coming from the back of the passenger side drum brake. The “Cylinder Assy-Rear Wheel” (Nissan # 44100-7Z800 is “Currently Unavailable”, compatible part is easily available) was shot and needed to be changed. As a rule, ya always change both when ever one goes.

Anyways, bleeding the brake system on my truck has never been an easy task in the past so I decided to try the Capri Tools CP21029 Vacuum Brake Bleeder I have seen work on youtube.
Cost more than I had hoped and maybe more than one guy should pay for a tool they will seldom use. I have lots o those :oops: so WTF, it's only money...

It worked for me as advertised! So if’n ya need your brakes bled in Brooklyn, come by and I’ll do it for ya! Cost ya a couple of beers, you bring and take away any brake fluid exchanged.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:43 pm 
Club President

Cool. Good to know, Tom! Thanks for sharing!