It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

Post subject: Gen1 heater core replacement question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:44 pm 
Noob

On my 2001 X, The heater core tubes that go into the engine bay both broke off. The hoses are now shunted but with winter approaching it's time to get the heat back on.

The parts diagrams seem to show that the firewall tubes are separate from the core itself. Is it possible to just replace the tubes and can they be purchased separately?

Yar

'95 Pathfinder 5-speed, RIP
"If it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, it's useless."

Post subject: Re: Gen1 heater core replacement question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:31 am 
Forum User

Yes it is possible to replace just the tubes. I will be doing it sometime after work in the coming months. I have a separate topic started with YouTube install videos that I'm going get to use. There is one video where you can get away from removing the whole dash by just removing the ac core but you then need to recharge your ac which is worth it to me based on the time savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:36 am 
Forum User

RomeoEJ wrote:
Has anyone replaced the tubes on their heater core. Install manual says take apart the whole dash. BUT there are multiple videos on YouTube showing people pulling out the glove box and AC coil and are able to get at the heater core. About a 2-3 hour project vs all day or two project. Obviously you need to recharge the AC but I would rather do that then remove the whole dash.

Example video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:24 pm 
Noob

I keep forgetting about YouTube as a place to check for these things. The video you linked to is useful but half of it is the guy complaining about how hard the fourth screw is to remove.

The chains are the only places open on the weekend and none of them want to do an evac unless they are also doing a recharge. Also, NTB wanted $160 for that servce. So much for getting this done over the weekend, I'll take it to a great independent shop (Natick Auto Clinic) this week to get coolant evacuated at a fair price.

If anyone else is interested, the Dorman part number for just the tubes is 902-099
http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=65602&SEName=902-099
All the local shops can order it, only Advance Auto had it in stock. For some reason the metal heater core replacement is less expensive than these two plastic molded tubes.

This guy has a useful video that's much shorter. The lotto ticket on the seat is a nice touch.

Yar

'95 Pathfinder 5-speed, RIP
"If it doesn't have 4 wheel drive, it's useless."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:42 pm 
Forum User

I got off my butt and changed the heater core tubes. While taking out the AC box and reconnecting and charging the AC it took around 3 hours.

Disclaimer: it is very difficult to screw and unscrew the 4 small screws on each of the tubes. I highly recommend a magnetic Philips screwdriver. Also for the top hose, take out all 3 screws and leave the one screw in the top right corner loose. You can slip the tube out with the screw loose. If you unscrew it fully i dont know how you would get it back in.

Good Luck! No matter how easy it looks in the you tube videos, the small screws on the heater core are extremely difficult because you are running blind. or my big head couldn't fit so i couldn't see what i was doing.