It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

Post subject: Front ARB Locker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:01 am 
Forum User

I’m not sure if I’m fooling myself but I jumped on that eBay ARB locker for the 180 diff. that was linked to, over on TNX. In addition to getting the added traction, I convinced myself that I would be preventing possible spider gear blow ups, as well as reducing the likelihood of another front axle failure. If the diff isn’t putting all the power to the spinning axle, then it shouldn’t pop when it catches – right? So come March / April (post big snow and before trails dry out) I’ll pull the front diff out and get her installed.

Thoughts on where best to install the compressor?

Scott

Post subject: Re: Front ARB Locker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:22 pm 
Supporting Member

Very cool ,you'll love it, not sure about saving axles but definitely no spider gear issues.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm 
Events Committee Member

Scott it is a great mod, but you may want to do what Tony did with the aussie style locker insert first.
Arb is a big investment with the locker , compressor and reinstalling the gears.

I know that Tom Toms red X has an arb in his second gen and the axles have become the weakest part .
with the insert you can retain your gear setup and they don't need to be reinstalled onto the new carrier assembly and you still get more traction from the front .

if you like it, then go up to the ARB if you want.
as you go up in strength something else has to give.
the axle upgrade is $2,000 dollars with a lifetime war.
but you would still need a trail spare of some type if one was to break..

An other way to go is with a titan swap with Pathy axles and ARB
a problem is getting a matching gear set. for your X
they are avail. for titan but were on back order a while ago.
David R. is looking to go this way.
C3po and Leo have the titan in their Xs.
Diff , gears, arb, compressor and axles....

just going by what I have seen out on the trail and my 2 cents.
what ever you decide you really can't go wrong
they just have different things that go along with them.

I would get some feed back from Tony on his mini locker insert.
I believe it has been performing well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 pm 
Forum User

V8 Pathfinder axles are hard to come by, since they didn't exactly make a million of them to begin with (but the advantage is that they'll fit the M205 carrier while being of an appropriate length for stock suspension travel).

From what I hear about lunchbox lockers they can behave pretty oddly in the snow (locking and unlocking with torque). I'm sure one would eventually get used to it but for now the idea of a locker I can't control is turning me off. Plus I share my X with the lady, who hasn't quite grasped 4x4 concepts yet.

As to the compressor, which one/how big are you thinking? May as well go full OBA if you have the room, time, and moolah. I saw a great build in TNX where the compressor was hidden behind the passenger side rear quarter - you'll have to disassemble most of the interior to get in there, but it's super clean.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:55 pm 
Supporting Member

The ARB doesn't really save axles. It does save spider gears, though.

I have a lokka. I have had it installed since early august 2015 and have been out of the trails with it a number of times. I love it! My only real complaint is 4wd snow driving over 40mph. I have not broke any axles but I tend to be lighter on the skinny pedal. That is not to say it won't happen. I fully expect to break one eventually. I have broken the R180A spider gears and started to twist the inner half shaft (this was pre locker) so with the arb or lokka, just don't expect things to be bullet proof. I was behind Tom at WENT when he blew an axle trying to reverse up a steep incline. He wasn't locked at the time.

If you do go arb, I have seen people mount the compressor near the airbox. Doesn't work well if you have a volant. Some mount it inside. Somewhere that isn't likely to get covered with water would be a good choice.

The m205 upgrade (Titan swap) does take everything up a few notches, but just like everything else, those can break too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:59 pm 
Forum User

Here's a rear quarter panel install, not the original but enough to give you an idea. There's nothing behind the passenger rear fender, and it should be pretty protected from the elements.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos ... vy***.html

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 pm 
Forum User

Thanks for all the input guys. Ernie, I already dropped the hammer on this one as it was roughly $400 off for a new in box air locker. I haven't talked installation costs with CT Axle yet but I'm hoping it's not too crazy if I drop the diff off like Tony did.

As far as a compressor I'm keeping it simple and going with the ARB compact on board one. I'll still use my portable for inflating my tires. The compact was only $160 shipped from 4 wheel parts w/ a $10 off coupon.

I've already replaced my spare axle, if I pop another I'm thinking the life time warranty ones. Mean while I hope the additional locker keeps me out of trouble. Just curious, has anyone broken an axle while being locked? The explanation I've read for the failures have to do with the open diff putting all the force to the spinning axle and when it catches grip, the inertial load and the full power going to that wheel torsionally overloads the axle and it fails w/ the classic 45 degree cone that my axle displayed so beautifully.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 pm 
Forum User

Well, the nice thing about a lunchbox locker is that it would lock a free-spinning wheel without your intervention.

›»»»›‹«««‹

Post subject: Front ARB Locker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:26 am 
Club Vice President

Scott Farris wrote:
Just curious, has anyone broken an axle while being locked?

TomsRedX had his axle break on OFR with the front locker on...but it was climbing up over the a crazy cliff/boulder at OFR. It can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:46 am 
Supporting Member

Even with just a stronger set of internals (think ARB unlocked), the axles are now more likely to break because they just became the weak link. Locking the diff makes it worse. This doesn't mean you will be snapping axles every weekend, just that the locker isn't a solution to axles popping.

If you were to upgrade to those sexy RCV axles, then you just made something else the weak link. Probably the U-joints or the diff case. Again, this doesn't mean you spilt a diff case every time you go wheeling but if you are using lots of skinny pedal and then grab a bunch of traction, the energy has to go somewhere...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:54 am 
Forum User

As for mounting the compressor, I had the ARB compressor in my firt gen. I mounted it under the hood, on the passenger side, along the inner fender and a little bit off from the firewall. There was something already mounted there (I am not sure, but I seem to think it was a componenet of the cruise control system). I simply unmounted the existing component to make room for the compressor (and zip tied the component to something else to keep it from flopping around). The compressor control wires were routed through the grommet in the firewall near the steering column, and the switches mounted in the lower panel of the dash. Not too bad of an install.

If you have never had a front locker, you will like it. It helps pull you over obstacles, not push you into them. Just keep in mind that if you get both wheels spinning (mud, snow, loose soil, etc.) you may lose most steering control. Also, if you are on a surface that is sloped to one side when both wheels are spinning, your front end may slide down that side. It does not take long to get used to what it does if both wheels spin free. But it is always best to engage it only when you need it only for as long as you need it.

Enjoy.

k_enn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:41 pm 
Forum User

I have broken 5 axles and the side shaft in the r180 since installing the ARB. I tend to use the skinny pedal more than I should so most of the breaks were my own fault. I mounted the compressor under the hood by the air box. I have a volant and it fits in there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 pm 
Forum User

Locker and compressor have arrived! We'll see how long I hold out before tearing out the diff and getting it up to the shop.

TomsRedX I try to stay off the skinny but at the Gremlin I was loosing way and traction and I just eased the peddle down a little more and Bang! There went the axle. I'm really hoping without the spinning and lost traction (locker) I'll simply climb that darn hill.

K_enn, thanks for the relocation suggestion, I'll keep "making space" in mind as I look for a compressor mounting spot. One certainly hasn't jumped out at me yet but I'll find one. Getting used to the locker, yeah that's a fun problem to deal with :lol:

LizardKing I've made a career out of upgrading coal pulverizers. I understand chasing weak links and how frustrating finding the next week link is but as they get addressed failure frequency drops off as it takes larger loads to fail the next week link.

Best all!
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm 
Supporting Member

Nice.

No worries here. Just trying to pass on knowledge. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:59 am 
Forum User

Dropped her off this AM for CT Axle to install the locker. Sure is a funny feeling driving around with my butt 8" off the pavement :shock: looking up at crossovers (wife's Legacy). Found out last week that Peter (CT Axle) didn't want to go back in with the original carrier side bearings so I had to scramble to get two bearings in time - with new seals it was only an additional $100. Thankfully it's not a boat or it would have been another $1000. (BOAT - Blow Out Another Thousand)

Sure looking forward to the second easy button!