It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: April Fools Run 2016 MA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:54 am 
Forum User

APRIL FOOLS!

Uh, maybe y'all should check the Cracker Barrel in case old habits kicked in?

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:38 am 
Forum User

NOOOOOOOO we missed the muffins!!!!!!

Hope everyone had a great day up there. Post some pics!! We're sorry e couldn't make it, Rausch ended up in the vet hospital and his bills set is back. Ugh the puppy life.

Catch you all next time.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" - Phil. 4:13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 pm 
Club Vice President

Had a great time today at the April Fools Run. Thanks Ernie for putting the run together & for all the folks who came to wheel.

We has a total of 15 rigs (4 Jeeps, 1 Monster 4Runner, 2 Frontiers, 1 K10 Chevy & 7 Xterras). The sky showered us with rain most of the day making the trails muddy, the puddles deep, the hills & ledges very slippery. Everyone did great, picked good lines & didn't incur any major damage.

Two new trails were also featured today in addition to our regular ones at Gremlin. First one was the alternate entrance/exit from the gate to the landing. The second one, a loop near Diaper Hill on the other side of the 'Mass Pike'.

I added the pics I did take to http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8882.
Please post your pics/videos from the run there as well.

Catch you at the next one!

Created a post for the pics & videos. Please use the link below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:14 am 
Noob

Guys awesome run yesterday. I got home and my rear diff leaked all over driveway. I'm going this morning to get some new silicone and re seal it. Any suggestions send them my way

Cheers
Chaz

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 am 
Events Committee Member

Great time at the run :woohoo:
Thank you all for attending and not letting the rain wet your spirts.

I only have a couple pics from the landing.
sorry to hear of the diff hope it's nothing to bad.

3-6 inches of snow there today .. LOL
welcome to New England ...LOL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:11 am 
Supporting Member

etayehjr wrote:
I got home and my rear diff leaked all over driveway. .... Any suggestions send them my way

I assume you peeled the bottom lip of the diff cover back and it's leaking there, correct? If so, plan on getting a heavy-duty diff cover. If required, grind/file the bottom lip of the cover to make it flush with the housing - that way it will slide over rocks & stumps easier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am 
Club Vice President

jac04 wrote:
etayehjr wrote:
I got home and my rear diff leaked all over driveway. .... Any suggestions send them my way

I assume you peeled the bottom lip of the diff cover back and it's leaking there, correct? If so, plan on getting a heavy-duty diff cover. If required, grind/file the bottom lip of the cover to make it flush with the housing - that way it will slide over rocks & stumps easier.
Sorry to hear about that. I second what Jeff said, consider getting a heavy duty diff cover. I have the ARB diff covers & quite happy with them. Hopefully, resealing works till then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:11 pm 
Supporting Member

A couple addendums to Suresh's post. We also had a monster Chevy K10 at the run. A first for Nexterra?

I also munched up my driver door on a rock. I had to hang on it to get it to close again, and it's bent up in an arc shape on the bottom. The weatherstrip still seems to be holding. No biggie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 pm 
Club Vice President

MainerX wrote:
A couple addendums to Suresh's post. We also had a monster Chevy K10 at the run. A
Fixed my post, thanks Jordan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:30 pm 
Noob

Hey guys, ended up just being the cover. For now I took it off cleaned it and grinded it a bit down then put a bead of "the good stuff " then closed it up.im letting it cure for the night but the fluid was black and a bit white maybe water got in. Should be good for now.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:43 pm 
Club Vice President

Cool. Milky look usually means that it's contaminated with water. You should be good to go, assuming you cleaned the diff & filled it with new fluid too. Just make sure your breather hose is connected. Maybe even consider extending it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm 
Noob

I changed the oil and checked the breather bit worried why I'm at only 8k mile and it's black milky water from yesterday a few deep areas but black .... don't know . In 5 k I'll check again .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:02 pm 
Club Vice President

Looks like the black color might be ok. Seems like it's down to the kind of fluid that was used - http://www.jkowners.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2478.html.

Keep an eye on it. I'm curious too. I changed my diff fluid last year & checked again in the fall for water contamination... don't recall the fluid being black. However, I don't tow anything, so except for wheeling my diffs have it pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:10 pm 
Supporting Member

DirtySocks wrote:
Keep an eye on it. I'm curious too.

Me too. The rear fluid will typically turn dark rather quickly (as compared to the front), and it will get a little bit of a metallic/glittery look to it. That's normal. The milky look isn't good - it means water contamination. You should check your breather (which you said you extended, which is good). Check that the hose is a tight fit on the axle fitting, and on any fittings you used to extend it.

I've been through some deep water crossings with my Jeep and never had an issue with water contamination with my extended breathers. If/when you do your lift, make 100% sure that the breather hoses have slack at full droop (as well as all the electrical wires and brake hoses). I had to move my hoses quite a bit and I'm only running a 2" lift.

IMO, diff guards/skids are the way to go - you don't have to worry about clearance issues and they can take a beating. I run the Warn diff guards, but the Mopar ones are the same and cost less:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92023_1002.htm

Just don't use the hardware that comes with them - get slightly longer flanged head bolts at the hardware store. Also consider adding the AEV rear diff slider, which may require a bit of trimming. PM me for details if you go this route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:17 am 
Noob

update on my leaks....

1. good news, it was only the cover that pealed like a tuna can. i ended up replacing them pictures to come, and replacing some of the clips that hold the breather hoses down. i assume the water got in from the seam. as it wast a lot. about the oil i guess the stock mopar oil is dark. but the new stuff i put in is clear so i will see in 5000 mile or so.

2. about the front while on the lift i found my driver side manifold cover was cracked. After a dig deeper i found it is under my emissions warranty and now chrysler jeep has to do the work for me and a replacement. i hear that this is a very common thing with jeeps but i like to find a long term solution. If any one has any ideas what i have read so far is to rap the manifold with heat tape and insulation. i guess when it gets hot then when it hits cold water it cracks or shrinks fast.

3.Long term i finally got the 2.5 in lift with a 1.25 body lift total 3.75 , with the wheel spacers as well photos to come.

cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next