It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 am

Post subject: Re: Chris924's Xterra Titan Swap is a go!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
Noob

Updated the OP with some titan swap goodness:)

Also, added some new pics from wheeling at the Shocker run and a couple runs before that.

And here is the results of that run haha. And no, I was not trimming my fenders for larger tires:) I managed to do whats in the pictures below, put a big dent on the driver side fender in the same area, and mash a big dent just above the tail end of the passenger slider, apparently extended sliders do not cover everything lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 pm 
Forum User

Getting an early start on the fender trimming for the titan swap?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 pm 
Noob

Ha, something like that! I washed the truck the other day, it looks so much worse haha. Oh well, I think I'm just going to bedline the rocker panels and up high enough to atleast camoflauge that a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm 
Noob

So, I did the titan swap this weekend with the help of some great friends. I will post pics up later and list everything that went into it.

Post subject: Re: Chris924's Xterra, pictures of Titan swap added
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Noob

So, just realized I never updated this post with the actual pictures. I added the pictures to the end of the original post. Should be 3 or 4 of them there now. Unfortunately I havent been able to get it out wheeling yet so they are just driveway shots but hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:28 pm 
Forum User

So you are ready for a taste of the black trails now! :cheers: Looks good Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 pm 
Noob

haha thanks Tom! I honestly havent decided what trails I'll run now. I think with my skill levels I'll run blues a little longer and basically just gain more experience. I dont think I wheel stupid now but there are times where I realize afterwards that I could have picked a much better line etc lol. I wouldnt be opposed to running some blue/blacks before to long though and testing it all out properly. I kinda like blues though, fun trails to run without putting yourself at to much high stress.

Post subject: Re: Chris924's Xterra
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 pm 
Noob

So, my truck has a couple votes over on www.thenewx.org for the Truck of the Month picture. If anyone wants to go over and check out the April TOTM competition, please feel free to vote for my truck:) Oh, and on that forum my screen name is Killswitch. Just need to get it changed here still.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:09 pm 
Noob

How much trimming did you have to do to fit 33s with the TS? Any pictures of the trimming?

Post subject: Re: Chris924's Xterra (lots of updates)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Noob

I'm back on here, hopefully to be more active. I have updated the build thread with a bunch of new stuff.

-Tom Woods custom driveshaft
-New M226 rear axle
-Lots of electrical stuff
-A bunch of work on the transmission bypass and coolers etc
-I have linked How-To's that I have done on the rear axle swap, the electrical, and some basic info on the trans cooler I did with a thermostat controlled fan etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm 
Supporting Member

I made somethin like the bule sea box, but I think im just gona cop one now... thx 4 the diagrams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm 
Noob

No worries. If you need to be able to zoom in on the diagram or anything, just let me know and I can send you different links to them. I didn't post the links because they can actually be edited and I didn't want someone messing up my diagram to where I can't fix it since I still refer to it when adding new accessories etc.

I like the blue sea alot though. Definitely simplifies things when wiring lights and what not.

Post subject: Re: Killswitch's Xterra (Lot's of new updates)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
Noob

Since there is enough threads out there on different lighting setups and what not I figured I'd just add what I did to my build thread instead.
First off, there are a couple threads you should go through if you want to do a proper install. XJ-Terra did a fantastic job on this thread:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37578&highlight=How-to%3A+roof+lights
And then you have his collection of pretty much ALL useful threads on the lighting subject:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12860

So, with those two sources, here is what I did:

BLUE SEA:
A while back I installed a blue sea fuse block behind the glove box. I was starting to collect wires coming through the engine bay and it was getting hard to keep everything neat and clean looking. I literally followed XJ-Terra's lead exactly on this install as I didn't see any reason to try and improve on something that looked great to me.

I bought an amp install kit as I had free time on weekend and really wanted to get it done that day but you can save a bit of money by buying a kit like this
http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-LQ44-Contaq-Gauge-In-Line/dp/B0007L8ANQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=29L53CBWSTTTU&coliid=I3C21H2D0BJQOP

DIAGRAMS:
Once I had the blue sea fuse block installed I set about figuring out how I wanted to set everything up. There is a site (http://www.circuitlab.com) that is actually fairly decent for drawing out a diagram if you feel so inclined.
Here is what I came up with. I decided what I wanted to run and how I wanted to do it. You'll notice that it displays the switches as ON/ON but my switches are actually ON/OFF/ON (SPDT). I realize I can still only run 4 accessories at a time but that is fine. Just take the time to figure out which switch you want to run what accessory so you never find yourself in a situation where you can't turn on the item you need without shutting another one off.
The other thing I did was re-wire my transmission fan. I have an aftermarket cooler with a built in fan that runs through a temperature switch in the cooler. So, I leave the switch in the first ON position at all times as it feeds power to the temp switch. If the temps reach around 185 degrees the switch closes and the fan turns on. I had found, after a few wheeling trips, that I wanted an override so that at certain times I could just manually turn the fan on. I installed a second circuit which bypasses the temp switch and now the fan is controlled by one of the SPDT switches where up leaves it on constantly and down lets the temp switch control it.

SWITCHES:
My next diagram was for the switches. The switches are fairly simple but because I had a specific idea in mind I wanted to draw it out. I wanted the ROCK/REVERSE lights switch to be able to come on even with the truck off so I brought its power directly from the always on ACC outlet (For this switch, I could have completely skipped the relays and run it off the Blue Sea as it's a 12V/20A switch). The only reason the one switch has constant power is I wanted to be able to use the reverse lights as a way of lighting up a camp site etc etc. For my other switches I had to use relays for everything because I wanted everything to shut off with the keys. My switches draw power from the keyed ACC outlet so when the key shuts off so does everything else.
So, here is what each Pin number is:
Pin 1: Outgoing to accessory
Pin 2: Incoming from source
Pin 3: Outgoing to accessory
Pin 7: Upper light ground
Pin 8: Upper light positive
Pin 9: Lower light ground
Pin10: Lower light positive

I had planned on tapping the dimmer circuit but opted not to during the install. I tried it out (hazard lights would be very easy to tap into) but because of the way I wired my switches it would have bothered me to dim the light even with a switch turned on.

Here is the diagram. Basically, as you can see, the upper lights will come on with my dash/marker lights. The caveat to that (and the reason you see extra diodes) is that even if all my dash lights are off, I have jumpers set up so if the switch is turned on each individual light will still come on.
Pictures of the diodes you see in the diagram. Everything is actually soldered and not just crimped in there.
with dash lights on

RELAYS:
First off, for many people, you DO NOT need relays. I'm pretty sure there are a few people that are bothered that I actually relayed everything but hey, I had a plan and I'm good with it. Most of OTRATTW's switches are 12V/20A switches so unless your drawing 20+ amps you don't need relays you can just go through the switch. Because I powered my switches from the keyed source though, I needed relays.
Here is where I put all my relays. This is much cleaner than it looks in this picture. This was mid install so wires were everywhere. There is plenty of room under here so if you go this route, get all the wiring run and then divide each bundle (incoming to relays/ outgoing/ switch incoming etc) into it's own bundle and use wire loom or something of your choice to clean it all up and I just ziptied everything in place after that.

ROOF LIGHT:
Alright, once all that was figured out I started installing everything. I actually had the blue sea and the roof/bumper lights installed several months ago but just this weekend got around to doing the rock lights.
So, for the roof lights here are some of the key things i used:
Cord grips for going through the roof:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BPV9TY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wire to use with the cord grip:
Will get a link for this eventually but it's basically two wires insulated together into one thick wire so the cord grip can seal around it. (see pictures)

BUMPER LIGHTS:
The bumper lights were pretty simple. I ran the wire from the relay straight out into the engine bay. I kept it tucked down under everything and inside of wire loom but the exact route is up to you. Once I go out to right behind the grill I installed some quick disconnects. I bolted the lights on the bumper and that was pretty much it.

ROCK LIGHTS:
Now, for the rock lights, I tossed a lot of ideas around on this before deciding what I wanted to use. In the time that I have been wheeling this truck I've had it offroad at night 3 times. Only ONE of those times did I truly need rock lights and wish that I had them. So, this particular project was more about me entertaining myself than anything else. With that in mind my goal was to minimize the cost of everything.
Here is what is installed right now:
These are not great quality and would not buy them again. I will test them and see how long they last but were I to do it over again I would use the little rubberized LED strips that I have inside the wheel wells.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CSVPK4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are both on order:
These ones will go inside the shrock bumper. If you look just above the radiator skid there is two large holes. These will not sit directly in the hole but actually to one side (bolts to hold rad skid on are right to the side of each hole) The point of this is I did not want them shining in the mirrors of a truck in front of me or in a spotter's eyes. The point of the rock lights is to be able to shut off all other lights so as to preserve everyones' night vision and still be able to see for yourself. So, these lights will sit to the side and basically the beams will cross low to the ground in front of the truck.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1OW0IO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These lights will actually go right below the rear step on the rear corner plastics. I am going to drill through the bottom of the step and recess these inside to light up the back corners of the truck.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PBPI68/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I didn't really conserve cost NEARLY as much as I wanted but hey, might as well have them if I ever need them haha.

Here are pictures:
For the routing of the wire, I basically started at the front driver fender and made a loop ALL the way around the truck along the outline of the frame. From there I cut and soldered into that main wire for each light coming off of it. I ran a hot wire AND a ground wire all the way around so that I could ground all the lights to the blue sea box which I know is grounded properly.
This is cleaner than it looks. This was mid install and I was using a black, brush on sealant to hide the chrome on the lights as well as blend them with the mirror. I will try to take better pictures of this once I get it all cleaned up and blended. Walking by the truck you really can't even see these.
For the wiring for the mirror lights I fished wire through the rubber grommet in the door.
This is a HUGE pain in the ass!
Here is what I have in the front fenders. These have 3M tape on the back. I alcohol swabbed everything but just to be save, I bought a clear Goop and brushed it on over the whole thing. I've had these particular lights on for several months and wheeled with them several times with no issues. I drilled a very small hole through the plastic inner fender liner and just put the wire through there, gooped it up and and now the wires were inside the engine bay for me to tap them into the main wire I have running around the vehicle for all the rock lights.
I next installed two of the LED pods along the underside of the body on the same bolts that the stock step rails used to use.
I used some spare tabs to tie the wiring inside the loom up to the second bolt that the stock step rails used.
One thing I did (not sure if I would take the same route again or not) was to come back in from the engine bay so I could tap the wires for the mirrors more easily and then go down through the body right here so that my wires came out right by where the stock step rails used to mount.
I mounted the two lights in the back right on one of the frame cross bars where the spare tire mounts. (I don't have a spare stored under there so it worked for me) These don't really get light out to the sides of the truck though which is why I ordered the two eagle eye lights I linked earlier. These really just ended up looking like I was trying to make ground effects like a rice rocket or something.

Finally, pictures of the results thus far on the rock lights:
These are not edited to make it look more bright or anything like that. This is actually pretty accurate on the light spread. I snapped these lastnight on my cell phone so they're a little grainy but they do show the light.
Discovered I was missing a marker light :(

REVERSE LIGHTS:
Have them sitting around but not installed yet

SIDE LIGHTS:
Still need to be ordered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm 
Club President

Wow! Nice work! I'll keep you in mind when if I ever install some exterior lights. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
Noob

Wow this looks great! I just got the same rear recovery points, i hope to install them this week. I never got the the template and i'm searching for a how-to write up. any tips on the rockymtn recovery points?

question. I'm debating on the the PRG advanced coilover kit vs the titan swap. how much more performance do you feel from the titan swap. is the adv. coilover kit good enough for someone who wheels MAYBE once a month?
I was also considering the OME lift kit since its the cheapest.

thanks!

-Shrockworks Rock Sliders
-Bfgoodrich TA KOs 33"
-Rocky Mtn Rear Recovery Points