It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am

Post subject: XVTer's Rigs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 am 
Forum User

Well, I'm not an Xterra owner anymore, but here are my rigs. Now, I just need to find some time to work on them :cheers:

Wheeler:

1995 Toyota 4Runner
3.0L, 5-Speed, 4WD

Modifications:
16" Wheels from a 2003 Tacoma
245/75-16 Tires
Pioneer CD Deck
4D Maglite and Mounts
New Front Bumper Face Bar
New Battery
New Gas Tank
New Fuel Lines (Custom w/AN Fittings)
New NGK Spark Plugs
New NGK Spark Plug Wires
Cobra CB Radio
4" ProComp Rear Lift Springs
WARN Manual Hub Conversion

Future Plans
The goal is to start as a (relatively) inexpensive, mostly road-legal rig and go from there. It'll be a fairly slow build as I don't have a lot of personal time for working on my rigs.

On the To-Do List:
Install Front Shocks
Install Front Balljoint Spacers
Install Front Differential Drop Spacers
Replace Driver's Side CV Shaft
Install Rear Shocks
Install Panhard Drop Bracket
Install 3" Body Lift
Distributor Cap
Rotor
New Rear Bumper Ends
And then finally install the pile of offroad goodies I have waiting to go on it. It's going to be a long process, but I get excited and come up with more new ideas every time I get the chance to work on it.

Daily Driver

2000 Toyota Camry LE
2.2L 4-cyl 5S-FE Engine
Automatic Transmission

Emily and I bought this car with 190,000 miles off of her parents to use as a commuter car to replace my old silver Volvo V70XC which I sold. The biggest problems were that the exhaust was rotted off, it needed a tune-up, and the suspension was worn out. These were the first things to address.

Modifications:
Clothes Bar for Back Seat (Business Trips)
Custom Exhaust (Lou’s Custom Exhaust in Portsmouth, NH)
Exhaust Paint – Flat Black (Duplicolor Header Paint)
Painted Valve Cover
All-Season 205/65-15’s on Steel Wheels
Winter 205/65-15’s on Steel Wheels
Custom Front Grille Cover
Visor CD Holder
Cold Air Intake System – eBay Special
Pioneer Bluetooth Double-DIN Deck
3M Di-Noc Carbon-Fiber look dash insert covers

New Parts List:
Haynes Manual
Blue NGK Plug Wires
NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
Coil Packs
Gas Cap
Valve Cover Gaskets (Including Spark Tube Seals)
PCV Valve
PCV Valve Grommet
Wheel Covers
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Fuel Filter
Bosch ICON Wipers
Rear Suspension Rebuild
- New Pair of Left Side Lateral Links
- New Pair of Right Side Lateral Links
- New Pair of Rear Spring/Strut Assemblies
- New Control Link Bolts/Nuts
- Painted Rear Sub-frame
Front Suspension Rebuild
- New Pair of Front Control Arms
- New Pair of Inner Tie Rods
- New Pair of Outer Tie Rods
- New Pair of Ball Joints
- New Front Sway Bar End-links
LoTek Lowering Springs
Power Steering Fluid (ATF)
Automatic Transmission Fluid
Engine Oil/Filter
Left Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly
Right Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly
Window Vent Visors
Rear Window Sun Visor

Parts Waiting to Go On:
Window Tint
Rear Sway Bar End-links
Engine Coolant
ATF
Transmission Pan Seal
Transmission Filter
Differential Fluid (ATF)
Grounding Kit (8-ga wires, like I did on my Silverado)
Silicone Vacuum Hoses – Blue
Heated Leather Seats from a Lexus ES300

Future Plans:
I will really be only doing maintenance to this car. Plan is to get it back running new(ish) and drive it. When parts break, I may replace with better, but the goal is ‘cheap transportation’

Em's Rig:

I traded in my 2008 Silverado Crew for this in July 2013. This won't see any trails but will slowly get upgraded with better/additional parts to make it less of a 'Soccer Mom's Car.' We decided to go with the previous body style as we really don't like the new Pathfinders and think that they're a little too 'minivan-ish'

This one was just off-lease and only has 27,700 miles on it so we decided to buy it.

General Info:
2010 Nissan Pathfinder S
4WD, 4.0L, Automatic
3 Row Seating (7)
Trailer Package
245/75-16 General Grabber AW tires
Nissan 16x7 Aluminum Wheels
6,000# Towing Capacity

Dealer Options
Carpeted Floor Mats (All 3 Rows)
Remote Starter

Modifications
Emergency Road Kit from my old X
Upgraded First Aid Kit
Weathertech Floor Liners
NISSAN Hood Protector
NISSAN Running Boards
NISSAN Front Mud Flaps
Reese Tow Hitch Plug
BELL Visor CD Holder
Plasti-Dip
AutoZone Clear License Plate Protectors
UHAUL Hitch Ball/Mount
THULE 450 Foot Pack for use with our old Cross-Bars
Husky Cargo Area Liner
ScanGaugeII

Waiting to go On
4D Maglite & Mounts
Airlift 1000 Rear Spring Helper Bags
6" LED Driving Lights

Future Plans
Window Vent Visors
Fog Light Kit (lights and interior stalk)
20% Window Tint all around (except windsheild)
Seat Covers

MY OLD XTERRA: http://www.nexterra.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2133

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Last edited by XVTer on Thu May 22, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 48 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm 
Events Committee Member

Very Cool Bobby 8)
Just a Heads up....
I may have some Stuff Available for the 4Runner over the Summer.

I have a set of New Yukon 5:29 gears for the front diff.
a used complete open front diff with Yukon 5:71 gears
a used complete open front diff with stock 4:10 gears
a New Detroit locker (no gears) for the rear diff.
and a used Trailmaster 4" lift for the front end

I'm thinking of SASing the 4Runner this summer.
and
I have some parts that I bought a couple of....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 pm 
Forum User

Sweet. Let me know!

***UPDATE***

I found some more pics of the Volvo; they were on my other camera.

I sanded down and bedlined the rocker panels. The plastic panels that are on there worried me a little as I thought that there might be some rust under there, but it was just a little bit of surface rust. I hit it with a coat of bedliner and reinstalled the rocker guards.

And here are the big 'ol studded snows I stuffed on it - they're a bit bigger than the worn-out all seasons that were on it when I got it :)
I had to do some hammering of the pinch seams in the fender wells as well as trimmed a little of the plastic rocker guards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:52 pm 
Forum User

I finally got a chance to do some work on the cars:

My dad is scrapping his '98 blazer due to a blown transmission so I pulled off a few things before it went out. I grabbed the almost-new Interstate battery, the roof rack, the Auto-Dim rearview mirror and the overhead console along with the associated wiring. I also grabbed the trailer hitch, the wheels, and the alternator.

Volvo:
I replaced the front wipers, but found that AutoZone has the wrong length listed for the rear wiper. I went with an 18, but it is, in fact, a 16. I figure that when I replace the windshield, I will also install the Auto-Dim mirror I grabbed out of the Blazer. I also had a spare key made since I didn?t have one before.

Unfortunately, I busted the front emblem while I was opening the hood, but I have plans for the grill, anyway, which don't include the emblem. you can see my super-fine bedline job as well:

4Runner:
It doesn't have any sort of roof rack and it's the first SUV that I've owned that didn't have one. I decided to grab the one off the blazer to fab up, but it's going to need some modifications since it is too wide.

I grabbed the trailer hitch off the Blazer in hopes to one day make it into some sort of rear recovery until I can get a decent rear bumper. I also got a chance to clean out the interior, which it needed pretty badly. I need to get a chance to look at the rear hatch since the window won't go down. I also replaced the air filter and put in the almost new Interstate battery that I pulled from the blazer.

***UPDATE 4/19/11****

I took a couple days off before my next trip and got some work done on the cars again. I picked up a set of 16" wheels from a 2003 Tacoma so that I can eventually mount up my 35's from the Xterra. The 245/75-16 tires on these wheels aren't bad and came free with the wheels. I like the look better with the 16's than with the steel 15's; almost makes it look newer.

Here are the wheels/tires:

Before:

After:

I also removed the rear mudflaps and started to take off the running boards. I was met with some rot on the rear bumper. This is going to eventually get replaced so it's not really a big deal.

Also, my brother-in-law's brother was going to use the all-weather floormats I took out of the Xterra but he ended up buying some weathertechs. So, I tried them in the 4Runner and they actually fit pretty well!

I also got a chance to fix the fuel line where a chipmunk had chewed a hole in the return line:

...and, last but not least, I cut off the exhaust system which had a gaping hole in it. For now I put in a turn-down, but eventually I will weld on a muffler. My welder ran out of wire and I didn't have a chance to get to the store to get some more.

**UPDATE 4/29/11**

I finally got a chance to install the muffler on the Volvo. Getting closer to road legal!

**UPDATE 5/6/11**

I got a little more time to myself. I cleaned out/washed/waxed the Silverado. It definitely needed it as I have been neglecting it the past couple months.

I also got a chance to change the power steering fluid in it. It was in dire need. My guess is that it hasn't been changed yet. I was a little bummed that I saw that I have a leak in the Rack&Pinion, but, after some research, I found that it's a common problem on the GMT-900 Trucks. Currently 53k on my truck - I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

This ain't Root Beer:

Shiny and New:

Old stuff back back in bottle - quite a difference:

Last edited by XVTer on Wed May 11, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: XVTer's Rigs
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 am 
Forum User

I have been neglecting Emily's car over the past few months so I figured it was time to get a little work done on it.

My To-Do list for this past weekend was:
Oil/Filter Change
Drain/Fill Trans Fluid
Change Power Steering Fluid
Headlight Restoration
Tint Windows
Wash/Wax

Luckily the weather held off for me on Saturday and I ended up getting everything done.

I started with the easiest part wich was the power steering fluid and the oil changes. I got a big shipment of some Amsoil and went with their signature 0W-30 for the motor oil and their synthetic PSF. This took me about an hour or so and then I decided to go to the car wash and give it a good scrubbing. After that, I towel dried it and cleaned the door jams and then waxed the whole car.

Since I was on a roll, I decided to start with the headlights. It's a common thing on the XC90 for the headlight lenses to start to fog after a few years. Road debris and UV damage is what typically causes it. I fixed this by wetsanding with some 800grit sandpaper and then again with some 1500grit. I followed this with some of the PLASTIX polish and they turned out looking brand new:

you can see the fog here:

Sanding complete:

After first round of polishing:

Finished Product:

I also took on the task of draining/filling the transmission fluid. It only replaces 4 of the 12 quarts of fluid in the system, but I figure it was better than nothing. After seeing the fluid, I have decided that I will be doing a full system flush and filter change in the near future. After the change, I noticed that the shifts are a lot smoother and the car seems to coast a lot better.

I also wanted to tint the front windows to match the rears. I had previously installed 35%, but it didn't really look right. After some research, the tint on the rear windows is actually around 15%. Trying to match this would be pushing it as far as legality. I decided to install some 20% and I am very happy with the results. I will get a VLT meter on it to se what it actually measures out to, but, chances are, I'll have to remove it for inspection this winter.

As you can see, i also removed all of the badging on the rear. I think it makes it look much cleaner.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:26 pm 
Forum User

You've been a busy man. Still lots to do and so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:57 pm 
Forum User

Haven't updated this thread in a while, but here's a quick update:

4Runner is still a work in progress; my brother-in-law put a rock through the back window while mowing the lawn and it's got a hole in the gas tank. Hope to have these fixed and be able to have it on the trail in the next month or two.

With the wedding and traveling, I haven't had a lot of time to work on anything. I did get a chance to detail my old Volvo:

And also got a chance to finally do the brakes on Emily's XC90. I went with high-perfornace drilled and slotted rotors as they were the same price as the OEM rotors. Also got new parking brake shoes, hardware, and all new pads:

Worn-out Parking Brake Shoes:

New Rotors:

Mounted Up:

I went with the zinc coating; we'll see if it actually keeps the rotors from corroding. More to come soon

One other thing I had been meaning to pick up was all-weather floormats for the XC90 as well as a cargo-area liner. I ended up going with Volvo OEM all-weather mat set and also got a rear cargo cover while I was at it. I am very happy with the quality of the OEM mats, and they aren't too bulky like some of the other floor liners.

****UPDATE 9/28/2011****
As many of you saw at the B2S run, I recently tinted the taillights on my Silverado. I was going for the Sierra Denali look, but they ended up a bit darker than I was anticipating. I have since re-sanded them a little and re-polished and they're looking a bit more legal now (you can actually see red when it's in the shade):

I also decided to remove the 4x4 stickers off of the fenders and I think that it looks much cleaner - this is the start of more emblem shaving in the near future

And finally, I picked up a new-to-me set of tires to replace the worn-out all-seasons I've got on it (and since I don't currently have a spare tire):

****UPDATE 10/9/2011****

Had a new windshield put in the Silverado but it leaks a little (Safelite will be fixing it).

I also have had three of my speakers blow over the course of the past month. It's a bit annoying. Doing a little research online shows that it's a pretty common issue with this body style silverado, so I ordered two pairs of Rockford Fosgate Prime 3-Way speakers for replacements. I'm still under warranty but I'd rather not replace crap with new crap. Here's a couple pics:

I also got a chance to change the rear differential fluid in my silverado:

I am going to paint the axle sometime soon as the surface rust bothers me. This week I hope to have my tires mounted up as well as get the front diff and transmission fluid/filter changed.

:cheers:

Last edited by XVTer on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am 
Club President

Nice work on your fleet of vehicles, Bobby!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Forum User

Just made a big step toward getting the 4Runner on the trails.

Thanks again to Ernie for hooking me up with his leftover parts from his SAS.

Front Diff w/ 5.71 Gears

Rear 3rd Member w/ 5.71 Gears and Detroit Locker

***UPDATE 12/2/2011****

I ordered new selas for the rear axle and front differential as well as a few cans of POR-15 for treating the undercarriage and axles.

Updates to come soon

Last edited by XVTer on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 am 
Forum User

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:30 pm 
Events Committee Member

Looking good Bobby :mrgreen:
I didn't know you had flanges on it.
I could have given you another locking hub :roll:
If you are going to trailer it, running the flanges are fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm 
Forum User

No worries. I plan on doing the conversion to manual anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:55 pm 
Events Committee Member

XVTer wrote:
No worries. I plan on doing the conversion to manual anyway.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:48 am 
Forum User

Well, I haven't updated this in a month or so.

I got the new-to-me fuel tank in the 4Runner, but ended up busting one of the lines when installing it. I had to drop the tank again and noted that most of the hard lines were rotted. Next on the list will be replacing them with either some new hard line, or, more likely, some AN- adapters with some braided hose.

Here's the Silverado at the moment, sporting Hankook Dynapro MT tires. I also finally got a chacne to do the transmission filter and flushed and filled with some new low-viscosity, high fuel efficiency, AMSOIL ATF. Shifting seems to be a bit cleaner now, though I haven't run a whole tank through to determine if my fuel efficiency has improved any.

I busted one of the center caps as you can see, so I'm going to need to track down another one.

Emily also knocked my passenger side mirror on a tree, so I'll be getting some replacements soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm 
Forum User

Trucks looking good Bobby!