It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: Rust!!
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm 
Forum User

I haven’t been on here in quite some time but I still have my X. It’s been sitting not really getting used for the past 3-5 years. I want to get it back out there but there is so much rust it’s insane. Most of it seems just surface rust but there are a few small rust holes in the rocker panels. I’ve started ordering all new parts to rebuild the suspension, brakes and eventually new rims and lightbar. Has anyone else had such a big issue with rust? Also I’m looking to prevent this from happening again and I’ve looked into some products to do an undercoat with. I will not use a coating that is almost like a bedliner. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories. Krown was one company that seemed to make a pretty good product. Any suggestions? I’m hoping that I can get the rig back on the road and possibly join you guys at ECXC.

Post subject: Re: Rust!!
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 pm 
Supporting Member

joshsxterra wrote:
I haven’t been on here in quite some time but I still have my X. It’s been sitting not really getting used for the past 3-5 years. I want to get it back out there but there is so much rust it’s insane. Most of it seems just surface rust but there are a few small rust holes in the rocker panels. I’ve started ordering all new parts to rebuild the suspension, brakes and eventually new rims and lightbar. Has anyone else had such a big issue with rust? Also I’m looking to prevent this from happening again and I’ve looked into some products to do an undercoat with. I will not use a coating that is almost like a bedliner. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories. Krown was one company that seemed to make a pretty good product. Any suggestions? I’m hoping that I can get the rig back on the road and possibly join you guys at ECXC.

Man, this is the NORTHEAST Xterra Club. We ALL have rust issues! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:10 am 
Supporting Member

knock on wood, not yet 2009 and pretty much rust free on the body.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 am 
Noob

I should be at ECXC. When I bought mine it was a rust bucket. Guy used to surf fish on Long Island and took the truck to the beach constantly. I had to replace everything including the oil pan and all front suspension components. It was a total pain in the ass. To keep the rust at bay I use this stuff called Fluid Film. It’s by far the best stuff I’ve ever used. I get it in the gallon paint can and they use a undercoating sprayer to apply it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm 
Club President

PonyBoyXterra wrote:
I should be at ECXC.

Make sure you sign up HERE.