It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am

Post subject: upgrades question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:17 pm 
Forum User

I'm familiar with all the different types of mods that are common to add on the the Xterra, like skids and sliders and bumpers and lifts. But what I'm not well versed on is the other types of upgrades I should be thinking about.

I'm not going to have the money to do something like a 3" SL anytime soon. But I would like to "improve" what I can on my truck.

So...what type of suggestions do people have. I'm talking about things like idler arm brace, new tire rods, steering stabilizers, upper control arms, bushings, etc, etc.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:55 pm 
Supporting Member

Of the things you list, I would wait, save up, and do the suspension lift. Your stock steering should be fine with your setup.

If I were you, I would start adding skid plates. Buy the front and engine skid first, and then add the transfer case and then the gas tank skid. Although, if you can, the Shrock front bumper rocks, but skids, although unseen, will give you protection and confidence off-road.

The first thing I did was the SL, but that was after I broke a couple of springs so I justified it.

Also, on the easy, and less expensive side is putting in a Volant air intake. I like the Volant because it is a true cold-air intake. I have the Stillen in the new X and it sounds great, but if I were to off-road this truck in mud, the Volant is far better.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:19 pm 
i'm in the same boat as Micah, cant afford the 1000 bucks for the 3" plus the 500 for the steering system, i am planning on full skids by next spring if i can come up with the cash, hoping to order my sliders this week, i'll be happy, i'd be able to ride the skids and do more difficult trails :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:12 pm 
Forum User

Yes, skids are next on my list. I also need to get new shocks. I've already made my Christmas list for this year!

I would love to put a cold air intake in. How much did your set up run Scott? (minus the snorkle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:40 pm 
Supporting Member

Micah,

E-mail or call Dave (alliedacid) he seems to be able to get a deal on the Volant. I got mine from him. It was already pre-drilled and took about an hour to install. He got it for me for around $200.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 am 
Forum User

What about an idler arm brace? They only cost like $25...so is it worth getting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:56 pm 
[quote][i]Originally posted by mpm[/i]
What about an idler arm brace? They only cost like $25...so is it worth getting? [/quote]

This would be worth getting. Just remember that if/when you do a SL, you will have to replace the steering. When I ordered my steering system, I just got the CL and IA from [url=http://www.lpperformance.com/Steering.htm]L&P Performance[/url]. The PA is really strong and I highly doubt that you would ever bend it.

The usual path taken when doing mod's is tires first. Then, if you need them, shocks. After that, your armour. Skids and sliders. To me, both are equally important. [url=http://www.skidplates.com/products_2000-2004%20xterra.htm]Skid Row skid plates[/url] kick ass IMO.

Good luck and happy modding!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:46 pm 
Forum User

Is the IA brace worth getting>>maybe. Will it help>>possibly...for the price of it, I decided to order it from calmini when I got the shackles. It only takes a couple of minutes to put on and adds another restraining support point for the IA. At least it'll put your mind at ease that there is a little extra preventative measure taken, without really divulging into the steering upgrades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:49 pm 
Supporting Member

IMO it is worth it. I never had problems with mine before the steering upgrade, but it certainly cannot hurt.