It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

Post subject: Mud 'n Water 'n Manual Tranny Shifting...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Forum User

Not sure if I'm asking a painfully obvious question since I couldn't find anything after searching here but did find some info on other sites; am I correct in understanding that you shouldn't put your clutch in if you are in deep water or mud?

How deep is too deep to use your clutch on the X? I'm guessing anything at the top of the tires where the tranny is submerged and that if you stall you should just get pulled out since the only way to restart the X (at least the 04's...I HATE that feature) is to have the clutch in for some silly "safety" reason probably?

Obviously the issue is with sucking in dirt and other junk that would hurt the clutch and cause other tranny issues.

Just asking since I'm sure with all the snow this year there will be some pretty deep holes once it all melts and mix in lots of spring rain; I just don't want to do something noob/knob like to hurt my truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:08 pm 
Supporting Member

IMHO it's not going to make any difference either way. If you are going to get mud, water or whatever else in there it will happen with the clutch engaged or not and once you are out, it will find its way on the clutch plate surfaces anyway.