It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am

Post subject: sub boxes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:23 pm 
Forum User

Right now I've got 2 12" subs in the back and it eats up a TON of space. I'm looking at making two custom boxes that fit on the sides of the x.

Has anyone made boxes? And any recommendations. I'm trying to keep the cost to absolute minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Supporting Member

Thats funny, i'm actually doing the same thing. I just pick up and Single box today for 40 bucks! My 2 10'' take to much room. As for the second gens i'm not sure what they make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 am 
Forum User

I've made sub boxes, used to sell them too. It's not very difficult, as long as you take accurate measurements and draw up your plan in advance.

I always use 3/4" MDF, 1 1/2" screws, and vinyl caulk, for the construction, and predrill the holes so as not to split the MDF.

For carpet you can either use felt upholstery, or automotive carpet. More expensive, but nicer looking, vinyl is also a nice option. 3M spray adhesive in the black can works great - spray a layer on the box and a layer on the back of the carpet, and then apply the carpet when the glue gets tacky. Don't use car headliner adhesive, it holds for a while but eventually the carpet will come loose.

To save some money, you may be able re-use the materials from your current boxes. Particularly the fronts, so you won't have to re-cut the holes for the subs.

The most important thing to consider is the volume of the airspace inside the box. Make sure you stay as close as possible to the recommended cubic ft. set by the manufacturer, otherwise the sound quality can suffer, and you can even damage the subs.

edit: wow, sorry - didn't mean for that to be so long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:05 am 
Forum User

I haven't yet installed one in the X but it's on the to-do list. I've got a couple 10's in my ranger and I built the boxes for them, almost the same way as anthony explained it, but I used 1/2" plywood as I had a spare sheet laying around.

Def go with the 3M adhesive, it withstands moisture a heck of a lot better than the headliner adhesive (good for trunks that leak a little)

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:49 am 
Global Moderator

I?ve got an Infinity Basslink apm?ed 10? sub in the back of my junk and it?s is plenty for an old guy like me (rear view mirror shakes when it?s turned up).
You can find them for between $160 and $250. It had provided enough bass and was cheap enough to discourage me from building something. Vertical mounting dimensions (with mounting feet): 15"W x 15"H x 10-1/4"D; horizontal mounting dimensions (with mounting feet): 15"W x 9-3/4"H x 15-1/8"D takes up a fraction of the space taken up by a box. Maybe something to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:40 pm 
Forum User

JL makes a box for us as well, but it's a waste of money if you ask me. If I remember correctly its in the $300 plus range and I don't think it's amplified.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 pm 
Forum User

I have a RF box with 12's in the back, definitely takes up a lot of room, I'd like something that doesn't take up much space but still sounds good. I've beenthinking about upgrading my system. Get some speakers for the rear doors, an amp and a subwoofer instead of the box.
This leaves plenty of room in the back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:14 pm 
Supporting Member

There was someone a few years ago on XF or XOC that built some very nice built-in sub boxes out of fiberglass. That would be slick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:54 am 
Club President

Jeff, I think there's someone over on thenewx that made some custom enclosures to fit in the rear cubby spaces.