It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

Post subject: modifying daily driver
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:45 pm 
hey guys......

just throwing a question out there:

my project has always been my 400 HP turbo civic. now the more i did to the car, the less reliable it got, to the point where i wouldnt drive it out of town anymore.

so i bought my truck as my daily driver, a nice reliable 4wd.

now here i am, being the wacko that i am, im modifying my truck. my question is, in the long run, how well doe shte truck react to modifications over the long run? suspension problems down the line? drive train/steering issues? im just asking if this is something worth getting into if i cant afford to keep the truck reliable.

any thoughts comments would be appreciated.
(Tim, who JUST got around to washing his truck from XF3 lol....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:44 pm 
Supporting Member

Tim, If you do it right, all the modification really don't hurt your on road performance. Mine (both) are daily drivers, heavily modified, and drive great on the highway. The biggest problem is a few less mpg. I've beat the shit out of my truck the last two weekends and it is still fine and drives great.

You will break things from time to time, but it can be fixed. Actually, you'll learn how to fix it yourself and will be less likely to t be stranded on the highway.

With all the mods, I think they drive better than stock. You just have to work on it to get things dialed in.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:12 pm 
Forum User

I've been beating on (off-roading) my Frontier for 5 years and it has 145,000 miles. Only problems as a result were the lower control arms cracking (Fix with a weld bead) and a tranny that was slowly going bye-bye (possibly but I doubt due to off-roading). Clutch was original until I replaced the tranny and did the clutch while it was apart.

I will say that other than the locker and manual hubs, the driveline was stock. No big HP boost, just rough off-roading.