It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:31 am

Post subject: Hi-Lift as a Winch?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:47 pm 
Ok,

After XF3 (my first outing) and drooling over scotts rig and a few others i realized i NEED some more goodies! now, dont get me wrong, id LOVE a new front bumper and Winch combo, however its just not in the cards for me right now. the confidence that comes with that set up must be incredible, knowing you can get youself into some situations that you normally wouldnt attempt without the winch.

now, i was doing some reading and came across a Hi-Lift "off road kit" it looks like it came with a Tree-saver strap, some cable and some other goodies.

Could you use the Hi-lift as a ratchet action "come-along" or make-shift "winch?" if you were to strap it to the tree and tie off to your hook and use the hi-jack in a horizontal manner as a come along as opposed to the vertical "jacking" action?

i could be way off here, but if so this could be a much more cost effective route for me to explore.

just looking for some ideas from you experienced guys.

-Tim (who refuses to wash the mud off his truck from XF3 because he loves the fact that its ruining the day of his hoity-toity neighbors as it drips mud onto the freshly paved parking lot when it rains hehehe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:24 pm 
Forum User

Yes, that is true. It can be used as a winch, just as you explained. I don't have one yet, but it's definitely on my wish list!

And I also enjoy keeping the mud on my truck for at least a day. It's always a good head turner!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:39 pm 
Supporting Member

While the high lift can be used as a winch, and can get you unstuck, remember it doesn't have much pull distance. It can get you out of a tight spot, it won't give you the confidence of a winch. I have a 2 1/2 ratchet winch that I used to use that worked many times. They're about $135 in 4x4 magazines...a lot less than a winch and they work great.

Actually, if anyone is interested in mine, I may be willing to part with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:43 pm 
Scott i could be interested, is it more of a come-along? or can it be used as a jack also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:09 am 
Supporting Member

It's more of a big mother come along. I used it to pull my truck out many times. I have rarely used my high lift, but when you need it, there is nothing else. You can pick up a high lift jack for about $50 at Tractor Supply Company.

Let me know, I'll bring it on the next trip.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:45 pm 
TSC also sells Larin Lifts, which are the same thing as the Hi-Lift, for $27.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:02 pm 
good to know! thanks for the tip. (are they red?)

ok so now ive seen the hi-lift, seen them in person and know how they work, but when would you use one in our 4x4 world? i mean aside from jacking up for a tire change, when else do you use them?

ive heard of jacking up and actually driving off of them in stuck situations?

help a new guy out lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 am 
Supporting Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Agent Boost[/i]

ive heard of jacking up and actually driving off of them in stuck situations?

help a new guy out lol [/quote]

I've seen that done, and it works, but it can create damage and is not the safest thing to do. You can also jack up the truck when high-centered to place stuff under the tires to get traction, pull the truck away from an obsticle, clamp broken parts together for repairs, compress spring packs to repair broken shackles, etc.

They also can be very dangerous. I've seen trucks fall over on them. Never get under a truck lifted by just a high lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:17 pm 
Forum User

Question for all of you with a Hi-Lift

Being that my 05 is stock for the most part where do you guys mount your hi-lift?

I was thinking of getting the clamps and mounting it to the side of my roof rack. just a little nervous that the screws will not hold up to the weight of the lift when wheeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:04 pm 
Supporting Member

I bungee mine to the back seat floor. Some of those mounts are pretty sturdy, but what's funny is they never like to take them off because it's a PITA. On the last two runs we used someone's bottle jack because no one wanted to take off their Hi-Lift. It's no good if you don't use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:31 pm 
lol, wtf?! isnt that the point of the hi-lift? unless they just throw it up there cause it looks cool.

i was checking the website from ECXC and there was a sponsor there that makes a roof rack mount kit....dont recall the company though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:09 pm 
Supporting Member

Your right, Tim, but that seems to be the plan these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:49 pm 
found it:
http://www.fourtreks.com/hi_lift_roll_b ... 1_75_.html

i might pick one of these up for my hi-lift......

however i just realized, i dont have my sliders yet so i dont really have a jack point? unless you can give me some tips scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:23 pm 
Forum User

I like the FourTreks mounts but now have to figure out how to keep someone from taking it.

I guess I could always use a cable lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 pm 
sad isnt it....