It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: What do you ride?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 am 
Global Moderator

I try and ride to work (about 3 miles each way) at least 3 times a week depending on the weather. I get to ride through Prospect Park that is closed to traffic during the day for about 2 ? miles out of my commute so it is nice and peaceful for the majority of the ride. On the way to work in the morning it is mostly up hill including a killer during part of the last mile. A great start to the day. The trip home is mostly downhill so it?s an easy trip after a long day at work. I had an old road bike but it just took (and gave me) too much of a beating on the streets of Brooklyn. In the spring of 2009 I bought a used GT Avalanche 3.0 hard tail non disc Mountain Bike for $200;
I put some flashing lights, front and back, on it but otherwise it?s stock. It?s nothing fancy but does the job.

So tell me a story and post a picture; what kind of riding are you doing these days and what are you riding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 pm 
Forum User

Nice Tom. GT makes some good bikes, they have gotten a little bit cheaper in the last few years but they are attempting to reach a bigger market.

Probably not a bad move going with suspension on the front if it was really taking that big of a beating on you. You'll find a lot less effort needed if you used a road bike though. :)

My ride...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 pm 
Forum User

Nice bike. I ride a GT too, and I like it.

I notice that you still have what appears to knobby style trail tires. Most of my riding is on paved surfaces, and I switched to a more street friendly tire by Bontrager - http://bontrager.com/model/07796 It makes a noticeable difference on the pavement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 pm 
Global Moderator

A road bike would be great if I just had the park and no street. They have road races in the park on some weekends so the road is in nice shape but the streets around work and home are pretty banged up and its only 3 miles each way.
The knobbies came with the bike and I?m to cheap to buy new ones until they wear out? plus its only 3 miles each way. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:38 pm 
Forum User

I hear you. Keep in mind when you are ready for new tires that the Bontragars are sized for the rim on mountain/trail bike, and have decent side edge tread for off-road but more of a road surface in the middle. They give a mountain/trail bike better road manners, and require less effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Supporting Member

You've all seen mine in my basement if you came here. Litespeed Toccoa, IMHO the best cross-country hard-tail, mountain bike out there.

It's all titanium. I bought it new for 1/5th the list price. It came without pedals and I purchased titanium eggbeaters with the bike. Everything on the bike is titanium, with the exception of the aluminum hubs and stainless spokes, built by Wheelsmith, and the XT components. It is light, light, light...you can pick it up with one finger, I think in total it weighs less than 19lbs.

Great for banging the trails and for just cruising around town. I bought sandals with clipless mounts this summer for just that purpose.

I have thousands of miles on this bike and love it.

Litespeed builds the best bikes available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 pm 
Forum User

i have nothing fancy all i got is specialized hard rock(light weight frame ,adjustable suspension, disc brakes) i took it today 4 15 mile round trip from my house to Riis park and back!!!my wife got it for me as birthday gift it was brand new and she paid 890 for it!!!!sorry dont have any pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Litespeed Toccoa :shock:

Holy crap, I've never heard of them (I must admit I am ignorant to most bike on the market) but I googled it. A $5000 bike is way, way out of my league. Sweet rides. :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 am 
Supporting Member

I have two bikes that I, frankly, don't get out on enough.

My mountain bike is a 1994 Gary Fisher that is still in great shape after all these years and is a lot of fun to take out on the trails as it goes pretty much everywhere, is predictable on the loose stuff and is light enough that I don't fight my way up the hills.

My road bike is a 2010 Specialized Allez Elite (pictured in red below, but mine is the White/Black version). In the time that I've owned it, I've already put a couple thousand miles on it and will start getting serious about doing some century rides in 2011 with it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45685&menuItemId=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm 
Forum User

Just upgraded earlier this season from my Kona Dawg Deelux to last year's Trek Remedy 9 model. Got a killer deal on it and full maxxed out with the goodies, but I'm a bit envious of this year's 9.7's and up that have the full carbon frames that are SICK, strong and light. Next party next time.

My rig is still pretty light coming in at 29 lbs, especially for an all mountain/semi downhill bike with 6 inches of travel front and rear and 8 inch rotors for CRAZY stopping power. It's great feeling like you're floating on air when you're going over junk.

I'll admit, what I lack in automotive knowledge I WAY overcompensate in bike knowledge so if you guys have any questions on gear or bikes or repairs let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:10 pm 
Forum User

GT iDrive

2010 Honda Fit Sport 5-Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm 
Forum User

Here's my mountain bike, built this monster sometime around 1999. Access aluminum hardtail frame, RockShox Judy XC fork, Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes, Shimano Deore/Alivio drivetrain, IRC TrailBear 26x2.5" tires on...ah crap, forgot what brand rims I went with. Whatever they are, they're tough as nails! Pretty sure they're Sun Rhyno Lite rims laced to Shimano Deore disc hubs. Oh, and that's a Coda saddle, made from Italian leather. Fancy! ;)

This is my wife Allisonn's mountain bike, built this one in 2008 as part of an effort to get her out onto the trails with me. She does really well, I'm proud! Nothing special on the frame, just a cheap Huffy frame/fork combo for now; currently outfitted with Shimano Deore/Alivio drivetrain and brakes, Easton MonkeyLite riser bar, Mavic rims, Panaracer tires.

And here's my latest project, completed January/February 2010. Started life off as a DK General Lee dirt bike, now transformed into a dirt/street cruiser/stunt bike. Goodies on this include custom paint job (rattlecan with some two-tone graphics, bedliner bars and forks) and a mishmash of parts from Poverty, AME, Coalition, Eastern, ACS, Alex and Tektro to name a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 pm 
Forum User

2009 cannondale rush 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Vinny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:21 pm 
Forum User

Here is my '06 Haro V2. Started out being Dark Blue and Silver, but was painted to this after a rebuild from being wrecked in West Virginia. For those that remember the "General Wee" the bike was painted to match and did pretty well. It's pretty heavy but for what I do... it's all good. 8) Image

My buddy has a Haro Sonix that I LOVE. I'm waiting for him to upgrade so I can buy it off him :wink:

"The Retired General Weee"