It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Post subject: My trip to W.V.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:20 pm 
Forum User

As you may have read in my original thread, Stacey and I went to W.V. While we are down there, my brother in law and I go mountain biking. Now, he isn't as crazy as I am, so we usually don't go balls out. Well, he doesn't anyway. We try to hit a different trail every year. This year was the hardest one so far.

This trail was labeled as "difficult" on the map. We talked to a couple locals and a bike shop about the area, and we figured we would give it a shot. Being an actual trail and not a downhill (which was what we originally wanted to do) we figured we could make it as hard as we wanted.

All was good until e came to a really awesome downhill. As I came around a corner, the trail just disappeared. I stopped and looked to survey my plan of attack. Also, to see how hard it was going to be for my brother in law, Nate. I found my line and hit it. The trail was a tree slalom in the beginning followed by a rock that was a couple feet tall that you had to go off of, then it landed you in a heavy rock/root garden.

I went down first and made it with no issues. MAN WAS THAT COOL!!! Nate followed with his rear wheel locked up and screaming "I'm gonna die!" the whole way down. He also made it with no problems.

This was where the ride went south. After we both went down, Nate pipes up and says "Hey, I have my camera. Go down again and I'll film you. You made it the first time, you can do it again."

Of course, with my mental capacity, all I heard was film and I was all over it. Well, here is the video... (turn up your speakers)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=64nisvC5gkQ

Lets just say, there is a reason I wear a full face helmet. I was going faster than the first run and drifted off my line. Sending me into the unknown. Which turned out to be a lot of rocks and tall grass. The video doesn't show me hitting the ground too well. When I hit, my ankle got pinned between my bike and 2 rocks, I was all cut up from the rocks and roots that I landed on, if you listen carefully, you can hear my helmet hitting a rock. Glad I had it on! The impact trashed my bike though. My rear d?railleur was smashed into the spokes. I was able to pull it back out and reset the chain. 20 ft down the trail, the d?railleur had tension on it and bent itself back into the rim locking the wheel completely. I untangled everything and when I pulled the d?railleur back out, it broke completely. Leaving me to walk/carry my bike for 2.5 miles back to the truck.

It was still a good day though. Any time I can wreck and get up, it's o.k. The bike is fixable. :wink:

"The Retired General Weee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 am 
Club President

It's good you're OK, Joe, and a good thing you wear the proper protection. Sounds like you had a good time, even though you had the crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 am 
Forum User

mtdewmike wrote:
It's good you're OK, Joe, and a good thing you wear the proper protection. Sounds like you had a good time, even though you had the crash.

It's always a great time to get out there and ride. Like I mentioned, I got up. That was the important thing. That just gave me the excuse to tear my bike apart and go through it. :wink:

"The Retired General Weee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 pm 
Supporting Member

Ouch that looked like it hurt a little.. Ok alot!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:51 pm 
Supporting Member

joe that does look like fun!!

I wish i had my fall on camera. I really think all of you would cry from laughing at me.. the fall was soo good I riped me underwear! :oops: