It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Post subject: NY ride
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:56 am 
Forum User

This past Sunday, I took a motorcyle ride through parts of NY state. I rode with a co-worker and some people from his sport-touring club. The route was all back roads through Rockland and Orange Counties, across the Hudson at Bear Mountain, and up through Putnam and Dutchess Counties. We had lunch up around Red Hook, and then headed back. We rode in excess of 250 miles, and the pace was very spirited. We had a guy on a Ducati Superlight, a lady on Kawaski 750 sport bike, a guy on a BMW K13 GT (sport touring), and myself on a BMW K13S (sportbike).

It was a great trip. I never knew there there were so many fun back roads in that part of New York. We were so far off the main roads that we encountered only one gas station. Despite my having over 30 years of riding experience, the other riders were much quicker and smoother than me through the turns. I would like to think that is because they had ridden those roads before, and because I was still not fully settled in on the new bike. However, they are probably just better riders. I had to do some real fast riding on the straights to catch up with them sometimes.

It was a good chance to get some serious saddle time before my trip out to the New Mexico in October. I think I have the bike about 95% set-up for the way I want it for the trip.

Next shake down ride - Labor Day weekend to the BMW Finger Lakes rally near Watkins Glen. That one will be a test of fully packing as I would be packed for the New Mexico trip. Non-BMW's can attend, so it you are interested let me know.

k_enn

Post subject: Re: NY ride
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 pm 
Global Moderator

Very nice. I used to ride up that way a lot back in my "squid" days. Not sure I'd be able to keep up these days especially on the cruiser...