It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Post subject: New one in the stable
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:33 pm 
Forum User

My wife and I taking a trip this year to New Mexico. I decided I woudl kill two birds with one stone and that I would also do something I always wanted to do -- take a motorcycle trip to the southwest. The plan is that she will fly out there and meet me. One problem: my old motorcycle just is not up to such a trip. So . . . . .

I just purchased a new motorcycle. I stayed with BMW and bought the K1300S. It is a 1300 cc sport / sport touring bike. It is a water cooled, 4 cylinder engine that puts out 175 HP. More than enough power, even for a big guy like me, since I ride solo.

I am keeping the old airhead, for more of less local (NY, Conn, Vt. Pa) riding.

k_enn

Post subject: Re: New one in the stable
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:06 pm 
Global Moderator

Niiice. Pictures please.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm 
Forum User

Here are a couple of pictures.

Last edited by k_enn on Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:35 pm 
Global Moderator

k_enn wrote:

Sorry about the size, but I don't know how to resize it.

Can't see it but I want one of your bike, not a stock photo...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:13 am 
Club Vice President

Nice! Weather is turning warmer, should be getting mine back on the road soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 am 
Forum User

I picked it up from the dealer Saturday morning. Went up to Sussex County and did some riding around the Vernon NJ and Warwick NY area.

The bike is really sweet. It took a little riding to get used to it, but once I got used to it, it handled really nice. Great on the highway, and plenty of fun on the back roads. More power than I would normally need, but is nice to know that it is there if I ever need it in an emergency. It is comforting to know that it has traction control, to handle that power until I get used to it. It has a really smooth engine, and a smooth gearbox. I wasn't sure I would like the "shift assist" (lets you upshift without using the clutch as long as you are accellerating), but it shifts smoother and quick than you can shift using the clutch. The brakes are awesome. They are semi-integrated - the handlebar lever applies both the front and rear brakes, while the foot lever applies only the rear brake which is good for trailing braking in the corners.

I was surprised to find that the footpeg location was actually pretty comfortable for at least up to a couple of hours of riding. I won't know until I do about a 400 mile day whether I want to lower them for the trip to Santa Fe. The handlebar postion was good for an hour or so, but after that my hands started getting numb. A set of riser bars will quickly fix that. It is going to be a great sport-touring machine.

With the plan to ride to Santa Fe, I will have to take a number of "warm-up" weekend trips to prepare for the big one. I may be swinging up to Rockport Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Gettysburg Pa, and Washington DC as some of the warmups.

k_enn

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 am 
Global Moderator

Nice, picture please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:00 am 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
Nice, picture please.

I put up some pictures. Weren't they showing? I could see them.

I tried using a different posting method now. If that doesn't work, then I can't figure out how to post them and you all are SOL. :D Take my word for it, it is a beautiful bike.

k_enn

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:55 am 
Global Moderator

Ah, could not see them on my phone but see them on the PC. Looks great!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 pm 
Forum User

One weekend, 300 miles. Not a bad start. At that rate, I will have it through the break-in period sooner than I thought. Then the fun begins. :wink:

By the way, on my way home from work yesterday on the bike, I happened to be on a a nice some-what local road and enjoying the bike's handling when I saw a cop coming the other way. I looked down, and found out how easy it is to exceed the limit on this bkie. I backed off, but as I did, the cop hit his lights. I figured "there goes my PBA card." As I looked in the rear view expecting to see him turn around, he just turned off his lights and kept on going. So I still have my "get out of jail free" card for use when I really need it. I have a feeling I will need it on this bike.

k_enn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:55 pm 
Forum User

Well, I did it. Took a trip on the new motorcycle from NJ to Santa Fe, NM and back. What a trip it was. Six days to get there (could have done in five easily, especially if the weather cooperated on one not-so-good day). Not much of old Route 66 is easily findable and travelable - you need a guide in front of you with turn-by-turn instructions for many parts of Route 66. Also, it is paved over in a number of places by the interstate. And yes, Texas and Oklahoma really are as flat and big as people say.

Santa Fe was a great town. Not too big, a little upscale but not overdone, with good food, good sights, and good shopping. The Sangre de Christos mountains north of Santa Fe are beautiful and provide for good riding.

At times it was an adventure, at different times I was running into a hail storm, snow, and fierce cross-winds (steady at 20+ mph and gusting to over 45). It is a trip I will always remember, and have plenty of stories to tell.

k_enn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Sounds great! You should touch base with Scott when you're ready for a more "local" trip.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 am 
Supporting Member

Nice Bike, Kenn.

You should get in touch and do a ride.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am 
Forum User

Fired both bikes up this weekend, both started pretty easy and ran well. As much as the new bike is an awesome monster, the old R65 650 twin is still a lot of fun to ride.

I think we need to do a Nexterra motorcycle run some time. For a single day ride, my normal areas are northwestern New Jersey, New York along the Delaware, Rockland/Orange counties, the lower Catskills, and up to Rhinebeck. Ovenight trips are also a possibility, with or without camping.

We need find out who is interested in a trip, where they are located (northern NJ for me), when they are available, and whether they want a one day or two day trip. Then, we can figure something out. Also, if there is interest in any of the rallys (Americade, Laconia, etc), that is a possibility.

Oneonta is a bit of a haul for me to do a one day round trip after allowing for scenic riding during the day. Perhaps I could meet Scott around Kingston as a decent time in the morning, and still have time to ride some of the lower Catskills and both make it home that evening. That should not be too far for Tom, and perhaps Tom and I could meet up earlier and head to Kingston.

k_enn

Last edited by k_enn on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:54 am 
Global Moderator

I’m not really interested in the rally deals any more. Did a few when I was younger…
Riding for me these days are more of a meditative, on my own kinda deal.
Why don't we start with some type of simple meet up. Maybe some halfway point between Brooklyn/North Jersey and Oneonta? Meet for lunch maybe?
Once we get that done we could plan something more involved...two day or rally etc.