It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: first bike?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:30 pm 
Forum User

I echo Tom's warning. That is lot of bike to learn on -- not necessarily in terms of size or weight, but in terms of power. You can get yourself in over your head way too quick on that bike.

You might want to give thought to picking up a cheap, small, heavily used bike (almost a junker) to learn on. After you get some miles and time under your belt, start riding the yamaha.

You may feel at times that the cars are out to get you, and you would be right. So it is important to learn to ride correctly (i.e., instruction from an accredited instructor) and ride safe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:30 am 
Forum User

baf6 wrote:
1987 Yamaha FZR1000....yeah, not the bike i'm going to learn on :shock:

definitely not learning on this bike...

my dad has a v-star 650 that i am going to learn on, and maybe next year i'll start riding this one around town

I AM McLOVIN!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 am 
Noob

My first time riding a bike was an '80s Honda CB450, for maybe a total of 1/4 mile. I then bought a 2003 Honda 919 (naked based on CBR900RR powerplant).

My bike had too much power for a beginner by most people's opinion, but I was aware that it was bigger than I should start on and handled the throttle appropriately.

Did I crash it? Yes, taking a left from a stop at around 10-15mph. There was an accident the day before and a lot of debris left over. As I lowsided it, my hand was on the throttle and the bike sped off, hit the curb, then a utility pole. I rebuilt it and still ride it 5 years later.

My point is that even though it can be said my bike was too powerful for a beginner, it was the basics that I had to learn and that the power is not what caused the crash. Be aware of everything from cars to debris in turns, don't go too heavy on the throttle or brakes (avoid using them in turns by planning ahead), and remember that it's better to fear the bike a bit than to take what it has for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 am 
Forum User

baf6 wrote:
baf6 wrote:
1987 Yamaha FZR1000....yeah, not the bike i'm going to learn on :shock:

definitely not learning on this bike...

my dad has a v-star 650 that i am going to learn on, and maybe next year i'll start riding this one around town

A friend of mine had a v-star 650. His was what we used call fully dressed - floor boards, saddle bags, fairing & windshield. It was a nice bike.

If your father's is like that, just be very sensitive to the fact that it is a pretty heavy bike and can be very tricky to handle at low speed, stopped, and in emergency moves. The 650 will have plenty of power to learn on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Forum User

Teksi wrote:
<snip>My point is that even though it can be said my bike was too powerful for a beginner, it was the basics that I had to learn and that the power is not what caused the crash. Be aware of everything from cars to debris in turns, don't go too heavy on the throttle or brakes (avoid using them in turns by planning ahead), and remember that it's better to fear the bike a bit than to take what it has for granted.

Good advice on learning the basics. There is a lot you don't think about until it is called to your attention (e.g., how slippery painted road lines can be when wet, how to ride on open grated steel decks of bridges, etc.). That is why I always recommend getting some professional instruction. Just a couple of months ago, it saved my butt when some guy in a van coming the other way pulled a left turn right in front of me. Having learned proper braking and avoidance techniques, I just missed him by less than an inch. Without that knowledge, I would have hit him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 am 
Noob

k_enn wrote:
Good advice on learning the basics. There is a lot you don't think about until it is called to your attention (e.g., how slippery painted road lines can be when wet, how to ride on open grated steel decks of bridges, etc.). That is why I always recommend getting some professional instruction. Just a couple of months ago, it saved my butt when some guy in a van coming the other way pulled a left turn right in front of me. Having learned proper braking and avoidance techniques, I just missed him by less than an inch. Without that knowledge, I would have hit him.

Yea, I did it backwards; I crashed, then took the course.

Here was my bike when I bought it:

And after crash:
I believe it hit the curb, flipped up and the tank hit the utility pole.

Also, how many people have bent the front fork this bad without hitting an object straight on?

List of damaged parts: alternator cover, tank, rear plastic, front fender, front fork, gauges, headlight, handlebar, clutch lever, mirror, front left directional, some other small items.

Bodily damage: 2 small scrapes, no bruising that I remember, and my helmet was scrapped. If I didn't have a full face helmet, I probably would've had a broken jaw.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am 
Global Moderator

Ah, living life "squid", I did that for a few years of my youth and somehow managed to survive. Glad you are ok.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am 
Forum User

Glad you came out ok. Bike parts can be replaced. It's not so easy to replace people parts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 am 
Noob

Bklyn.X wrote:
Ah, living life "squid", I did that for a few years of my youth and somehow managed to survive. Glad you are ok.

Not quite; I had the full face helmet, pants, jacket, gloves, and steel toe / leather shoes on. Jacket slid up a bit on my arm so a small scrape there, ruined the gloves as well. I had a scrape on my knee, but my pants weren't torn and didn't slide up. I don't know how the pants weren't damaged but my knee was.

I tried riding without a jacket on for a few miles once, can't do it. I'd rather bake than not be protected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
Forum User

Teksi wrote:
<snip>I tried riding without a jacket on for a few miles once, can't do it. I'd rather bake than not be protected.

Been there, once. There was a time I used to ride without a jacket in hot weather. Then one day some 20+ years ago I had an unexpected situation where I had to drop the bike at 45 mph. Fortunately, I was wearing a jacket and did not get hurt.

After that, I just won't ride without a jacket. Last year I went to the BMW national rally in July, and the temperture was between 100 and 105 every day. Even then, I always wore the jacket, riding pants, gloves, boots, and full face helmet. It was not comfortable, but it was safer. Better safe than sorry.

k_enn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 pm 
Global Moderator

I like to ride wind in my hair wearing shorts, a wife-beater and flip-flops…

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 am 
Forum User

thanks for all the advice guys

i am going to look into a motorcycle school or riding class in the fall or next spring

I AM McLOVIN!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:36 am 
Forum User

baf6 wrote:
thanks for all the advice guys

i am going to look into a motorcycle school or riding class in the fall or next spring

Check into the courses run by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They have a weekend course (not sure if part of Friday is required) that includes both in-class and on-bike training. They may even provide the bikes. Last I heard was that in NJ, all you need to do get a motorcycle endorsement is to present a certificate of successful completion of the MSF course. Not sure if that is still the case, but if so it is awfully convenient.

k_enn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 am 
Forum User

Just saw this. Remember the clutch is your friend when learning. If you get nervous or are going to fast just pull in that clutch and then slowly brake. It's dangerous business riding a motorcycle, but just relax, focus, and you'll be good to go in no time. Best of luck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 am 
Noob

Definitely take the MSA course. I never rode before it and never drove a standard for that matter. After a weekend I felt confident enough to ride around the neighborhood them moved the real street. For what's it's worth take a look at the Honda Pacific coast pc800. Its an 800cc engine but gear well for beginners. It has an extremely low center of gravity, another plus, and can grow with your riding skills. Not to mention it has the power to do what you want" an trunk for grocery shopping, comfort for all day rides, and a look like no other. They are shaft driven, no chain, Honda designed them like a car. They run well over 120000 miles so you will get yours moneys worth.
my 2 cents......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next