It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

Post subject: Winterizing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am 
Forum User

Finally got the bike running and starting good (new tires, replaced steering head bearings, new battery, new starter) and the riding season is effectively over. I don't want a bunch of problems in the spring (spent enough $$ this year on it), so I did my basic winterizing:

Full tank of gas to avoid condensation.

SeaFoam in tank, to stabilize gas and avoid moisture

Remove battery and take indoors and put on a tender.

Remove soft luggage.

Put bike in neutral and on centerstand.

Any of you riders do any additional winterizing prep?

Also, I have question. The past few years when I went to start the bike in the spring, the clutch does not seem to operate. The clutch lever, cable and linkage move fine, but the clutch itself seems not operate. The transmission stays in neutral and the clutch itself won't let me shift into gears. It is almost like it is stuck together. Once I get it started in the spring, I just have get on the bike, clamp down on the brakes, and forceably shift into gear with the engine running before the clutch breaks fee and operates. (I know, not a good practice). Anyone else ever experience this type of problem, and how do you avoid it?

k_enn

Post subject: Re: Winterizing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am 
Global Moderator

Just saw this…
Wet or dry clutch?
I’ve never had a bike with a dry clutch so cannot speak to them (even though they are sooo cool). I used to have an old Yamaha that was left outdoors through the winter that this happened to and got the clutch to break loose in the same manner you do. I don’t think it's a bad practice. It is certainly easier than taking the clutch cover off and prying the plates apart (while holding the lever) with a screwdriver and then re-oiling them.
The next year I put a Velcro strap around the clutch lever handle to hold it a little bit open and then after I got the bike started in the spring and the oil was warmed up, opened and closed the clutch in hopes of spreading the oil between the plates before trying to use it. Seemed to work…
I’d like to get a center stand for my bike but will probably end up just pulling the battery like last year…what a lazy bastard I have become…

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 pm 
Forum User

Dry clutch.

While not a common problem, it is known to sometimes happen to the old BMW airheads. It did it to me this summer when the bike was not being used for about 6 weeks due to a hand injury. This last one was the worst - While I could get the bike running in neutral, it was not running smooth and I had to keep the rpms up too high to pop it into gear. As I tried to warm up the bike so it would run smoother, I started to get smoke from the area near the gearbox - not sure if it was the clutch of some leaked oil on the pipes. I finally broke the clutch free by (1) putting the bike in first with the petcock closed, (2) pulling in the clutch lever, (3) grabbing both brakes as hard as I could, and (4) hitting the starter. The new starter had enough power to break it free.

On the plus side, the battery was still quite strong after sitting for 6 weeks and not being on a tender at all.

Winterizing again now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:21 pm 
Global Moderator

So would strapping the clutch open prevent the problem or would the plates warp?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:12 am 
Forum User

That is a matter of debate. I have heard that working the clutch (even with the engine not running) every week or so will prevent it. I am going to try that this year and see if it is true.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm 
Global Moderator

Do you let your insurance/registration lapse and re up in the spring or keep it legal to ride year round?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 am 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
Do you let your insurance/registration lapse and re up in the spring or keep it legal to ride year round?

I keep it legal to ride year round. It's my understanding that in NJ there is no refund for canceling a registration, so there is no savings there. Insurance is so cheap that any savings would not be worth the hassle of cancelling and re-applying for insurance. (Plus, it keep the comprehensive in effect in case anything happens other than riding).

This will be my 31st year with that same bike. I should be getting it ready for riding in a few weeks.

k_enn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am 
Global Moderator

I keep mine year 'round as well. My registration sticker just came for this year so I just got curious to what you did.