It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

Post subject: Turkey In a Bucket
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 pm 
Noob

If you got a group of Xterra owners all out on a trip...this is the way to go!

This is the way to go I tell ya! Wild turkey or store bought turkey its gooooood. This sure is better than cooking turkey any other way.

Turkey In a Bucket:

For the Bucket Oven, you will need:

5 gallon tin bucket
long tongs
charcoal briquettes
matches
heavy duty aluminium foil
shovel
wooden stake or 1" diameter dowel 6" longer than than the bird
hammer
hot pads
platter

Ingredients:

1 whole turkey
seasoning salt or salt and pepper

Directions: Get fire started in fire ring, allow charcoal to get red hot, about 30 min. Clean and season bird. When coals are hot, take shovel and move coals to one side. Spread aluminium foil on the hot ground. Pound stake into ground about 6". Take about 18" of foil and crush into a ball around top of stake in shape of ball. Put turkey on stake, legs down ( ball of foil in body cavity will support bird). Put bucket over turkey , be sure no part of bird touches bucket. Shovel coals around the bucket piling around sides as high as they will go. Place another 12" piece of foil on top of the bucket. Shovel about a dozen coals on top of the bucket. Add about a dozen pieces of charcoal every 30 minutes. Cook for about 1? to 2 hours depending on size of bird. (An 11 lb. turkey takes about 1? hrs., a 16 lb. turkey takes 1 hour and 50 minutes to 2 hrs. Remove coals and take bucket off. Turkey will be golden brown. Using hot pads, pull turkey off stake and place on platter. * If you prefer to do a chicken: prepare the same way but a chicken only takes 1 hr. to 1 hours 10 min. ** Pie can be baked this way too: Put pie on 3 stakes set in ground in triangle , cover with bucket and bake 45 min.

Soon To Come - Black Rock Lobo Rims

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:15 pm 
Supporting Member

Sounds great! I love rustic cooking. I've been doing a lot of smoking lately and my next project is to build a bigger smoker.

Recently I've smoked some baby back ribs, pulled pork and right now I'm smoking some Landj?gers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:37 am 
Forum User

This is awesome...I'll pass this along to my extended family who are dedicated campers....very interesting1
Thank you!