It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:29 am 
Supporting Member

Overview:
Started off with the land access reports from each of the members that have a state responsibility. A couple of the states were missing, but in general, it looks like everyone is approaching this topic at a state level, in a systematic and positive manner. The big thing that I took away from this is that there?s a big debate around what defines an off road vehicle ? with many state legislators assuming that it means a quad or dirtbike. While trucks do get some attention, many states are missing the value that having hosted locations can bring, by way of fees and grants.

Meeting locations:
The next one will actually be about 10 minutes away from my house and the one after that could be back up in NH. Each club hosts a meeting, so this might be an opportunity for UNYX to do the same ? but possibly in western MA, since it?s a long drive if it?s near Scott?s house.

Fall Crawl:
This is a big event that had 120+ drivers last year and over 200 people. The costs are minimal to attend ($50 for a night of camping, wheeling and a catered dinner) and it?s something that I think we should all make a play for once it?s formally announced. Based upon the discussion, it appears as though the runs are split between more stock friendly and more technical.

Member Status:
Initially, the rule appeared to be that a club was voted in as a probationary member, but once an officer had done a club-hosted run with that group and made an assessment, they could be voted in as a voted member. However, in reviewing the by-laws, it appeared as though that rule wasn?t written in ? although it may have been in the past. Because of that, it was possible to hold a vote and upgrade the UNYX group ? which was done with 100% approval.

Access for all vehicle:
This is an effort by the NEA4WD group to build out a vehicle that is capable enough to take on Class VI roads and is setup to allow for a disabled person to ride as a passenger, enjoying the sport when they might not otherwise have the chance. While there are some discussions about liability and standards, a project manager has been assigned, who has the responsibility of making sure that the truck moves through the steps needed to get it trail ready. As of this past weekend, the truck had been through the initial steps to get it running and road-drivable.

Dues Increases:
Last year, the per fee member increased from $3 to $5. However, even with that increase, there is a gap between the core operating costs (which are currently covered) and the costs that would be incurred if a lobbyist were to be engaged, counselors hired and state presentations made. The idea was proposed (and generally agreed to) that, rather than increase the dues, the association would look to the member clubs to possibly contribute proceeds from a group gathering to the NEA, rather than keep them. For example, if we asked for a contribution for the B2S run, that could suffice.

There was more discussed than I covered above and, once the meeting minutes are published, I?ll see if it?s possible to get a link posted here, but those topics above are the key items that I believed were of note. We should still arrange for a member club to ride with us on a run, but it appears as though that is less of a priority for the time being.

We also have access to private lands that other members have available, but we need to participate in the care, upkeep and development of those lands. So, if we want to start looking for trails and events, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 am 
Forum User

Wow, great write-up! And thanks again for your work!

So are we full member status now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 pm 
Supporting Member

Yes. UNYX is a full, voting member of the NEA4WD organization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:05 pm 
Supporting Member

Again Mike, thanks for taking your time to attend the meeting.

That is great information for all of us. Now we have to work on getting some things set up.

Oh, and excellent summation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 pm 
Forum User

I was surprised to hear we were voted in already. Great news. I'm guessing the fact that we don't have another club run planned until September helped!

It would be great to set up some runs on the land available to us through NEA. It would also be great to acquire access to some of our own land. I'm hoping NEA can work with us and give us tips on doing that.

My concern with the Fall Krawl is that its the weekend after the Back to School Run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:41 pm 
Why not hold the B2S run at the Fall Crawl? :idea: