It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:47 pm 
Supporting Vendor

Tom

good run Yo

thx

Dave

AKA TVG

INSTAGRAM #bandit4x4

BDT Facebook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:49 pm 
Forum User

Tom, thanks for organizing such a great run. And thanks to AC for the cert.

Carnage was light on me -- dropped the front skid early in the day. Also, got the typical slow leak at the rim on one of the tires.

Things got interested in late morning. Andy had been leading, but I took over for spell for some of the trails on the south section. When we got to Lake Christy, it was decided that we would go down to the lake. I took the lead on the usual approach from S-1. Haven't been down that way in a while, and I noticed that the mud/water hole on the approach was bigger than I recalled. It also go a name --- Black Hole. Thinking that was the name and not the trail rating, I skirted the right edge of hole and was doing fine until one of my back tires hit something and slid the back end further into the hole than I wanted to be. This pulled my front end a bit too.

I could not traverse the hole , even with the front locker, because the bottom was too soft. Andy pulled around in front of me and tried to pull me forward with his winch. No go, it was just pulling his truck towards the hole. Things weren't too bad - the water level was just little bit above the door seam, with very little seepage. It was decided that Tim would try to winch me out from behind. Again, the winch was pulling his truck in, not pulling mine out. Next, Tim strapped his truck to tree to anchor it, and tried to winch me out. Still no luck. However, with each attempt, the truck was sliding sideways in the hole, getting deeper and on more of angle with driver side down. By now, my left boot was wet, and so was my lower pant legs.

It was decided that Tim would re-position his truck, and get a straighter pull on mine. Same shit, Different try. His was being pulled to mine, and I slid a little more into the hole. Tim could not tie directly to a tree, so he tied off to Chris's (Picachu) truck. His winch was pulling both of them in to me. I think they then tied Chris to a tree, but this was still not enough. Chris had a pulley, so they attached the pulley to my recovery strap, and double the winch back to Tim's truck to increase the leverage. Still not enough. By this point in time, the water was just about up to the hood seam, the lead light submerged, the engine had stalled, and the water was in up to the level of the driver's seat on the right side and less than an inch below the fuse panel. Finally, Andy came around to the back, and added his winch to the effort. The truck had such a lean to it, Chris was assigned to stand on the passenger side slider to help keep the truck from tipping. Finally, with three trucks, two winches (one with the line double with the pulley) they were finally able to extract me.

Once out the the hole, we checked the air intake. The air filter was soaked, and there was some water in the bottom of the air intake box. Andy pulled the intake from the box the engine, and it was dry. (So I did not do a TJ). After moping out the air box, and with a new filter from Tim, the engine fired up. However, I thought the clutch may have been messed up when I pressed it in and it did not return. After pulling it back up, it seemed to work ok, so probably it was just mud obstructing the cable.

At lunch, Tim noticed that the headlight was fill of water/mud. Using a hex wrench and lighter, he poked a small drainage hole, and it drained the rest of the day. He also had some silicone spray for my alternator, and I check the voltages to make sure it was still putting out (it was).

Thanks to all of you for getting me out of that mess.

Later, I noticed a slow leak at the tire. I topped it off back at the office, with the hope I could make it home on it. I sort of did, with one air refill from Brian on the way home. But by the time I got home, I was running on less than 15 psi.

Question -- how do you get Rausch Creek mud out of your carpet and seat? Answer -- use a carpet steam cleaner if you have one. I don't have one, but I do have a wet-dry shop vac. So I used dish detergent in a bucket of water and scrub brush, scrubbed the carpet and seat, hosed it down a bit more, and used the shop vac to extract the resulting mess. after about five times, it was running pretty clear.

Final problem emerged on Monday when I went to get the slow leak taken care of at the tire shop. The key for my locking lug nuts was nowhere to be found. (Good thing I did not totally trash a tire Saturday). Called the local Nissan dealer, they did not have keys, and they are a special order item and they say you need the number code for the particular key (I have no idea if have the code or where it would be). So I had the tire shop remove all four locked lug nuts. (Not too bad a job, with an impact hammer and chisel -- just bite into the edge of the nut and use the hammer and chisel to rotate it counterclockwise). Tire repaired, I then got some regular lug nuts to replace the old locked ones. Wish I had gotten rid of the lock lug nuts long ago -- just a disaster waiting to happen.

Once again thanks to all for organizing a great run, and for the great recovery job the guys did on me.

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 pm 
Noob

Thanks again for this run. I had a blast, got to test my new set up, and enjoyed meeting new peeps.

See you guys at ECXC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 am 
Forum User

Kudo's to Tom for pulling this off, and making it a mini ECXC!

:D

We had like no pics/vids...but Mike did shoot us doing a wee rock garden...a Rubicon, a TJ and a few X's.

I'm the LAST one through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVs2dHL ... r_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 pm 
Noob

k_enn wrote:

Carnage was light on me -- dropped the front skid early in the day. Also, got the typical slow leak at the rim on one of the tires.

Things got interested in late morning. Andy had been leading, but I took over for spell for some of the trails on the south section. When we got to Lake Christy, it was decided that we would go down to the lake. I took the lead on the usual approach from S-1. Haven't been down that way in a while, and I noticed that the mud/water hole on the approach was bigger than I recalled. It also go a name --- Black Hole. Thinking that was the name and not the trail rating, I skirted the right edge of hole and was doing fine until one of my back tires hit something and slid the back end further into the hole than I wanted to be. This pulled my front end a bit too.

I could not traverse the hole , even with the front locker, because the bottom was too soft. Andy pulled around in front of me and tried to pull me forward with his winch. No go, it was just pulling his truck towards the hole. Things weren't too bad - the water level was just little bit above the door seam, with very little seepage. It was decided that Tim would try to winch me out from behind. Again, the winch was pulling his truck in, not pulling mine out. Next, Tim strapped his truck to tree to anchor it, and tried to winch me out. Still no luck. However, with each attempt, the truck was sliding sideways in the hole, getting deeper and on more of angle with driver side down. By now, my left boot was wet, and so was my lower pant legs.

It was decided that Tim would re-position his truck, and get a straighter pull on mine. Same shit, Different try. His was being pulled to mine, and I slid a little more into the hole. Tim could not tie directly to a tree, so he tied off to Chris's (Picachu) truck. His winch was pulling both of them in to me. I think they then tied Chris to a tree, but this was still not enough. Chris had a pulley, so they attached the pulley to my recovery strap, and double the winch back to Tim's truck to increase the leverage. Still not enough. By this point in time, the water was just about up to the hood seam, the lead light submerged, the engine had stalled, and the water was in up to the level of the driver's seat on the right side and less than an inch below the fuse panel. Finally, Andy came around to the back, and added his winch to the effort. The truck had such a lean to it, Chris was assigned to stand on the passenger side slider to help keep the truck from tipping. Finally, with three trucks, two winches (one with the line double with the pulley) they were finally able to extract me.

Once out the the hole, we checked the air intake. The air filter was soaked, and there was some water in the bottom of the air intake box. Andy pulled the intake from the box the engine, and it was dry. (So I did not do a TJ). After moping out the air box, and with a new filter from Tim, the engine fired up. However, I thought the clutch may have been messed up when I pressed it in and it did not return. After pulling it back up, it seemed to work ok, so probably it was just mud obstructing the cable.

At lunch, Tim noticed that the headlight was fill of water/mud. Using a hex wrench and lighter, he poked a small drainage hole, and it drained the rest of the day. He also had some silicone spray for my alternator, and I check the voltages to make sure it was still putting out (it was).

Thanks to all of you for getting me out of that mess.

Later, I noticed a slow leak at the tire. I topped it off back at the office, with the hope I could make it home on it. I sort of did, with one air refill from Brian on the way home. But by the time I got home, I was running on less than 15 psi.

Question -- how do you get Rausch Creek mud out of your carpet and seat? Answer -- use a carpet steam cleaner if you have one. I don't have one, but I do have a wet-dry shop vac. So I used dish detergent in a bucket of water and scrub brush, scrubbed the carpet and seat, hosed it down a bit more, and used the shop vac to extract the resulting mess. after about five times, it was running pretty clear.

Final problem emerged on Monday when I went to get the slow leak taken care of at the tire shop. The key for my locking lug nuts was nowhere to be found. (Good thing I did not totally trash a tire Saturday). Called the local Nissan dealer, they did not have keys, and they are a special order item and they say you need the number code for the particular key (I have no idea if have the code or where it would be). So I had the tire shop remove all four locked lug nuts. (Not too bad a job, with an impact hammer and chisel -- just bite into the edge of the nut and use the hammer and chisel to rotate it counterclockwise). Tire repaired, I then got some regular lug nuts to replace the old locked ones. Wish I had gotten rid of the lock lug nuts long ago -- just a disaster waiting to happen.

Once again thanks to all for organizing a great run, and for the great recovery job the guys did on me.

k_enn

had a great time wheeling with you Ken as always. happy you made it home safe and sound. see you at ecxc.
tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 am 
Noob

OK, Whichever one/ones of you ? mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging hominid- wannabes ? tried to use (AND BENT) the light bar on my ARB-bumper as an anchor point, owes me a case of good spiced rum in place of the sever A$$ kicking you deserve ... ? especially since you didn?t have the common courtesy or the balls to man-up and tell me what happened at the time ? ? ? :evil:

k_enn wrote:

Things got interested in late morning.

<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>

-- just a disaster waiting to happen.

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 am 
Forum User

Pikachu wrote:
OK, Whichever one/ones of you ? mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging hominid- wannabes ? tried to use (AND BENT) the light bar on my ARB-bumper as an anchor point, owes me a case of good spiced rum in place of the sever A$$ kicking you deserve ... ? especially since you didn?t have the common courtesy or the balls to man-up and tell me what happened at the time ? ? ? :evil:

LOL

Those damn ARB bumpers, no recovery points, and people get confused and think things that are strong on other bumpers will be OK on the ARB too, and break the poor ARB's.

:D

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm 
Forum User

Pikachu wrote:

It could not have been me -- I was stuck inside my truck throughout the recovery.

Buyt, I'll see if I can remember to bring a bottle out to ECXC.

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm 
Noob

Pikachu wrote:

k_enn wrote:

Things got interested in late morning.

<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>
<SNIP-SNIP SNIP>

-- just a disaster waiting to happen.

k_enn

that would be me that strapped to your truck.....do you want liters or 1.75's? captain morgans or sailor jerry? or if you want to get it fixed and charge me that's just fine by me......you taught me a valuble lesson Pickachu-i'm sorry i damaged your truck and will compensate you for the damage in ANY way you see fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:34 pm 
Noob

Wow had a great time. Thanks for the great trip. Can't wait for ECXC. Too bad my leaf springs are on back order 12-14 weeks. Hey ken i am going to post up the picks soon as i open up a snapfish account or something. Hopefully by weekend or before. Hey Queens I will put in with you on that bottle. it wasn't like you did it as a joke or on purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 pm 
Global Moderator

ex-terror wrote:
... Hey Queens I will put in with you on that bottle. it wasn't like you did it as a joke or on purpose.

Way to step up Terry.

I did not witness this episode but WTF. After Ken got stuck did everyone but Tim leave their truck and go for a walk while he tried to get Ken?s truck unstuck? Sorry but one guy can not be blamed for this unless everyone else in the group left him by himself.

I'll chip in for the Rum also Tim as should everyone in the group since everyone is to blame especially if they were just standing around with their thumb up their ass while it happened and said nothing or was not helping.

Part of wheeling is sticking together, helping each other out yo...or is that just a NYC thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm 
Noob

NO ONE is to blame but me. Pickachu is right....i should have asked him before anchoring to his bumper. He has a right to be pissed....again-my apologies and the case will entirely be on me (or repair to your bumper) which ever you choose. Thanks for the offer guys....but i take SOLE responsibility.
do the crime, you do the time.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 am 
Noob

Sailor Jerry would be way cool, liters or whichever size is easiest to get ? and THANKS for stepping up and owning up to it ? Sorry I had to call ya? out like this. I realize you didn?t do it with malicious intent but I was still, understandably, a like hot when I noticed it was bent the other day
?
Like Bklyn.X said ?Part of wheeling is sticking together, helping each other out?, looking out for each other, etc. ? ? ? Yes, stuff can and does go wrong and things seem to always have a way of getting more complicated or really f?ed up in hurry, whenever there?s a problem, especially in our sport where mud, steal and rocks can make a pretty unforgiving combination ? but? most people also have zero problems with anyone asking questions or taking the time and showing someone how to do something correctly/safely especially if they?re not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:15 am 
Global Moderator

queensxterra wrote:
...i should have asked him before anchoring to his bumper...

Ahh, that is the "crime". Yes you must ask first. Still, where the F was everyone else when the "crime" took place? :? Taking a walk? Eating lunch? Smokin a blunt? Just standing around watching?

Sorry but no fucking good.

If Tim is there by himself then everyone else is equally to blame for walking away and not helping. If you are standing around watching Tim hook to Chris' truck without asking then you are equally to blame for not saying something.

Tim, you should not take the full hit for this. Being one of the guys that put this run together I?m embarrassed that this happened to you when you were just trying to do what was right; please let me help you out.

Next time I'm out with you guys and ya get stuck I might think twice before I get out to help...I'll bet Tim will also.

Last edited by Bklyn.X on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
Forum User

was there even anyone else in the group? we know ken was also there, but he was stuck in his truck, and terry was there, also helping in getting ken unstuck....if it was just the 3 trucks, then i'm not sure if anyone else is to blame

I AM McLOVIN!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next