It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Post subject: Tips requested on popping CV axles back into place
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 pm 
Forum User

What’s the secret to popping a front CV axle back into the front diff? After getting new seals and snap rings, I tore into the axle assembly Saturday to replace the damaged ring and oil seal we had to reuse in the field. Everything went well until I was unable to “pop” the axle back into the diff. I tried for a while before giving up and calling Jeff up and twisting his arm to come over and help. He too was unable to pop it in on his own. We as a pair were able to do it by having Jeff position it from underneath allowing me to take the play out of the assembly and I was then able to pop it in. What a pain, and back to the original question, how do I press it in if I’m by myself?

Next pain was in taking the engine skid plate off to change the diff lube the three frame nuts popped free. The replacement 8mm riv-nuts should be waiting at home today – I love McMaster-Carr! I hope to have them in place and skid back on for a run this weekend (Assuming there’s no ice to fish on).

Sunday Jeff opened up his garage for the skid plate effort. I thought I’d share a few pictures – 3 bays wide, 2 cars deep with his prize possession safely tucked away behind the heavy plastic curtain.

And of course friends like me, bring all sorts of dirt and mud into the pristine garage. Check what was on the transmission skid plate. Every nook and cranny was full of dried mud.

I felt so bad dragging Jeff into the middle of what turned into a two day job, that when I got home I asked Barb (my wife and truly great baker) if she could double up on Sunday night's desert. And when done, I delivered the hot apple pie, fresh out of the oven.

Post subject: Re: Tips requested on popping CV axles back into place
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:43 pm 
Supporting Member

I'm not sure there is an easy eay, I had a heck of time getting my driver side one in after replacing it. I put a little grease on the snap ring that is on the cv and used some pliers to flatten it as much as possible. From there,lining it up almost straight so no pressure on the joint and pushing it in and cross your fingers it seats. I've used a little persuasion from a hammer on the end too and that worked,the biggest thing I've found is just lining it up straight..
What a garage, I'm going to have to check that out someday and that sweet ride behind plastic..
Glad you got this all back together..oh, my frame bolts were crap to, I ended up drilling through and using longer bolts with a nut, but a pain too..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 pm 
Events Committee Member

Yeah as tony said it's not easy...
trying to get it as straight as possible and kind of use it like a slide hammer and work it into place. sometimes turning the axle gets the snap ring to drop just right works too.. we had a job getting it in at GG as well.

Very nice prize possession ... The Collector Bart Simpson poster..
Oh, the Camaro was nice too..LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:11 pm 
Supporting Member

Bass4Runner wrote:
Yeah as tony said it's not easy...

OK, now I feel better. We were both thinking "this should be way easier, what are we doing wrong?".

Bass4Runner wrote:
Very nice prize possession ... The Collector Bart Simpson poster..

Now I'm feeling really old. Thanks Ernie!
I had that poster in my dorm room when I was a freshman in college - 25 years ago!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:26 pm 
Events Committee Member

Cowabunga Dude !!!
LOL !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 am 
Forum User

I just did this, had to replace a CV.

Getting them in is a pain to do by yourself.

I used a jack to lift the LCA to make the CV shaft perfectly straight. I placed the 32mm axle nut on the end and ysed my longest breaker attached to the socket. Press in to take up the slack in CV joints. The long breaker will be touching the ground, and I used my foot to hold inward pressure to the CV end. This is key.

Imagine the breaker bar and socket as a sort of door stop to keep inward pressure towards the diff, with your foot holding it in.

Now you have both hands free. Use a dead blow hammer as to not damage the bar.