It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Post subject: Leaf pack skids
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm 
Forum User

I haven't taken off my leaf pack since I did my suspension lift years ago. I was wondering if there is instructions how to take it off safely to replace the shock mounts with the skids. Do I pick up the rear axel then unbolt the shackles then the u-bolts ?

Thanks

Post subject: Leaf pack skids
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm 
Supporting Member

Pretty sure u can do both sides at once. But I did one side at a time. Just in case i ran i to a problem. You can put on the skidders while the pack is bolted in. First i fully unloaded the weight by jacking her up w the hi lift and placing the jackstand under the chassis where the front of the leafspring attatches to (not on the spring tho). Then I removed only the lower part of the rear shock and removed it from the plate. Next I broke loose each ubolt nut by hand and then finished it off w the gun. Should be a piece of cake from there... If you have an alignment issue w leaves or centerbolt you can use the hi lift w the hook strap attatchment and lift up your wheel to take the weight of the axle off whatever you are workin on, just be easy... Also use loctite threadlock on those new bolts for the shocks and some antiseize on the ubolts n nuts. I believe we having a mod day coming up soon if u wana join us for some beers i can help no problemo

http://www.justinandersdenmark.com

Post subject: Re: Leaf pack skids
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am 
Forum User

I'll just add that you replace the U-Bolts/nuts when you do it all, and, that as the leaves hold up the butt, as mentioned above, you need to jack up the frame and support it on stands.

I find that generally, its easiest to jack up the frame until the shackles rattle (No tension on the pack)...so that when you disconnect the leaves, the pack doesn't try to flip out into your face, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 am 
Supporting Member

Whoops, ah yes. Thx TJ for reminding me. I used 2 "C" clamps on each side of the pack before I started working on the u-bolts and shock plate. Very important.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 pm 
Forum User

Thanks for the information guys. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:11 am 
Forum User

I changed out the leaf pack shock mounts with the skid's last night. I used Justin and TJ's information and have compiled it into a step by step writeup.

Quote:
1. Fully unloaded the weight by jacking her up w the hi lift and placing the jack stand under the chassis where the front of the leaf spring attaches to (not on the spring though).

2. Then I removed only the lower part of the rear shock and removed it from the plate.

3. 2 "C" clamps on each side of the pack before I started working on the U-bolts and shock plate

4. Next I broke loose each ubolt nut by hand and then finished it off w the gun.
    A. If you have an alignment issue w leaves or center bolt you can use the hi lift w the hook strap attachment and lift up your wheel to take the weight of the axle off whatever you are working on, just be easy...

5. Also use Loctite thread lock on those new bolts for the shocks and some anti-seize on the U-bolts n nuts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:46 am 
Supporting Member

Sounds good. But check those new shock bolts from time to time on the Darlington skidderz, they back out even with loctite on. A couple fellas here in BK welded a bolt to the top of the skidder and used just a nut like before. I will be doing this modification soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm 
Forum User

I will be doing this soon too!

So guys... anyone that is interested in the skids let me know since Joe can do a batch and this will be the only time until next year since he will be too busy to make any.

Pic of me and the X in action <-- click me