It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Post subject: Sprung a Leak
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm 
Noob

Well, I thought it was from the TB, as some say it does leak at times, but today it has to be coming from the water pump. (center of truck, drips from the splash guard)

SO any tips, on locating a kit (Water pump, belts, tbelt and what ever else I need) and how long does it take? its it like a normal Timing belt? (I have 5 tbelt installs under my belt with the 4G63T) but this is a different monster...

I just got promoted at my job, and time off isn't as what it used to be, and being with out a car isn't an option, so I would have to do this on my days off, and want what ever i'm going to need in front of me etc...

on other news, one garage told me I needed wheel bearings (in another post) got that done yesterday and didn't need them, needless to say , I'll never go to that garage again....

Post subject: Re: Sprung a Leak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm 
Noob

Anyone?

Its above the ALT, I pulled the shield off and waited for it to start, and it did but its hard to see what's going on.

I have it set to go in next Weds for Water pump/timing belt/front shocks but would like make it as cheap as I can ( I have all the parts but new to this breed of animal and no local help) so i'm stuck on where and who I can trust.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:27 pm 
Club Vice President

Is it a power steering leak? When I had mine, I think it was dripping from the same general area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm 
Noob

no its antifreeze for sure...

I've looked and looked, only way to get into that area is removing the air box and maybe the TB to even see behind the alt, as I do not want to remove it.

I pop the rad cap and it spits so its holding pressure but it has a leak and finding it, isn't easy on this engine as well , no room lol...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm 
Supporting Member

Somebody posted this link a while ago, helped me indefinitely...

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/

Im no mechanic, but I heard to do TB takes almost a whole day. I had my harmonic balancer go recently as well, the whole job ran me almost 1k at a shop. TB, water pump, radiator, harmonic balancer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm 
Noob

Yeah, the bill has run me $170 (Tb/Wp/TB acc's/Drive belts) and the guy doing it says its an all day project but doesn't charge near the normal rate (do the math on front bearings, I bought the bearings, he put them in, packed them, such, only cost me $52)..

but its something I need done ASAP as we are down to one auto and with my work and her's one car isn't working , having to find rides etc, it pain's me to see the xterra sitting out front, and I have the tools, but to go messing with the timing on an engine this size and unknown waters.... i'll leave it to him...

it just stinks and stings right now... :cry: