It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:35 am

Post subject: Need Help ASAP - Power Steering High Pressure Hose Line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am 
Forum User

So I'm trying to replace my leaky power steering gearbox, which I've reached a bit of a stumbling block.

In order to get the high pressure line off I had to cut it since the ferrule was so corroded not even PB Blaster would touch it after 2-3 weeks of daily treatment.

My dilema is this: Trying to find a whole new replacement line since it doesn't appear that making a new end piece is an option since it is high pressure. If it is an option I'd love to have some guidance on where to get parts since I checked with 6 different places and came up empty handed.

The challenge is in finding the right part that I need pretty fast (next few days). NAPA has it, but will take into early next week to get it in stock (too late for my needs).

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0397252943

Autozone could get it in two days, but it seems to be missing the port for the power steering oil switch.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 89385_0_0_

My question is, what does the switch do and is it necessary? Only asking since I just noticed the switch connection was unplugged; no idea for how long or how it happened - but steering was working fine without it.

Any help you guys can give I would greatly appreciate it since I need to order a part today so I can fix it over the weekend since I need to drive to the airport on Monday next week (creek...paddle...wait...where's the paddle).

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Need Help ASAP - Power Steering High Pressure Hose Line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 pm 
Club Vice President

Ricel (Curt) was parting out his first gen. He's in RI. You might want to reach out to him if you want to see if a used one would work.

Post subject: Re: Need Help ASAP - Power Steering High Pressure Hose Line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 pm 
Forum User

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I wouldn't have any way of getting down to RI due to my truck being out of commission, so I had to move forward with ordering the part from NAPA and taking my chances that it might come in time (if not I have alternate arrangements).

Still curious, but what does the switch for the power steering pump do? LIke I noted before I just saw that it came unplugged somehow, but steering was working fine (outside of the leak) without it being connected.