It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:50 am

Post subject: cranking the torsion bars? refresher please.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 am 
Noob

I have done this before but i am looking for a quick refresher.

I am cranking them to match the add a leafs i just installed and the upper a arms.

after the level ground, jacking, measuring....etc - i loosen the upper nut and then tighten the bottom adjustment bolt (righty tighty) then check... then if all is good re-tighten the upper nut to lock the adjustment?

also, can you do this with shrock armor? I can see the bottom nut and i should be able to reach the top one, right?

if i am missing a step here, let me know. trying to get this done soon.
thanks guys

life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive, well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars and screaming, yahoo! what a ride! my truck on the other hand, i keep that body nice

Post subject: Re: cranking the torsion bars? refresher please.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:11 pm 
Forum User

It seems like you have it. By jacking you do mean you will be taking the weight off the front of the truck right? You'll need to hold the bottom nut while you count the turns you make to the bolt on the adjuster - so it will hopefully be even. I don't know about the Shrock armor - mine is notched to allow for this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm 
Noob

yeah, the truck will be up with the suspension weight off. Is the bottom nut you speak of the one just above the crossmember? then you bring the top nut down against it like a jam nut?

thanks for the input.

life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive, well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars and screaming, yahoo! what a ride! my truck on the other hand, i keep that body nice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:44 pm 
Club Vice President

I remember Mike (Svendog) helping me when we did mine - thanks Mike. It might be tight with the skids though. I have new torsion bars & an idler arm brace sitting in my bedroom waiting to be installed. All the nuts & bolts on my X seem to be rust welded... arggg!! Hoping PB Blaster helps.

Let me know how it goes with the skids on... would be good info for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:35 am 
Noob

the driver skid was in the way when i used the larger socket and a breaker bar. i used a smaller wrench and shallow socket and an extension and it worked great. top bolts were very easy to see from the back. super easy job, if you keep your adjustable bolts greased. be careful not to crank them all the way up or alignments are a nightmare. just had one done and they said it was almost not going to work. I left 1 in to the bumpstops too.