It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Post subject: How-To: Official Stealth Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm 
Forum User

Ok, so after a few requests and my own desire to give back to this community of modding Xterra owners, I have created a "how to" for stealthing or blacking out your stock silver rims.

Please forgive if I leave things out, this is my first "how to."

Step 1: What you need.

Medium & Fine grit sandpaper. Small sanding block. Can of Aceton cleaner. 2-3 cans of Dupli-Color Bedliner. Painters Tape or Masking Tape. Flat head screw driver. Newspaper. A jack and jack stands.

Step 2: Safety First!

Support the X with the jack stands after you jack it up to assure that b*tch won't fall!

Step 3: Get to the sanding!

Start by cleaning off the wheels with the Acetone to remove, dirt, dust and grease. Now, flip the wheel over and use a flathead screw driver to pop out the hamburger plate that holds the Nissan emblem. It may be a little stuck, so use some downward pressure to push it out the front of the wheel. Now separate the emblem from the plate.

Next, use the medium grit sand paper to sand every inch of the wheel to a nice scuffed and rough finish. It is not necessary to use a power sander or dremel tools, but it may save time if you're lazy. I did it by hand and it doesn't take too long. Once the wheel is all sanded, use the fine grit sandpaper to go back over the wheel and smooth it out.

Now, blow off the dust and clean the wheel one last time with Acetone to assure a clean surface for paint.

Step 4: Tape 'em off!

Use the painter's or masking tape to tape off every part of the tire so you don't get the bedliner on it. If you get it on the tire, it looks like sh*t and it impossible to get off. Be very methodical about taping. The more time you take the safer you are. Newspaper works very well and is free, so use it all you want. Also, tape off those valve stems, you got to protect them too.

Step 5: No turning back.

OK, game time. Place the wheels together and maybe use a drop cloth underneath them to protect your driveway or garage. Shake the can for a minute before you start to spray.

Evenly spray each wheel with the bedliner about 4-6 inches from surface in a sweeping motion. Once each wheel is coated, wait 5-10 minutes between coats. Apply 4 coats to ensure quality coverage.

Step 6: Let them dry over night.

Don't touch 'em! Resist the urge to the take off the tape and slap them back on. Let them dry overnight or at least 5 hours and go to bed or the bar.

Step 7: Enjoy this kick ass mod!

Remove the tape and stand in awe of your accomplishment. Put the wheels back on and go laugh at anyone you know who spent $$$ to buy new rims when you just spent under $50 and have a kick ass looking truck!

OK, that's it! Hope this helps and separates you from the pack. I can't stop staring at my truck now and it's much "stealthier" at night!

Also, here is a link to the different color combinations that thenewX.org members came up with.

Stealth Color Combinations

Rock on:

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack