It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Post subject: Wiring question...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 am 
Forum User

I am attempting to wire in some new turning signals that are being mounted in my Shrock bumper. They are LED lights and have a red, white, and black wire. The White is the obvious ground. In connecting them to the regular turn signal lights however, the stock wires are green, black, and blue...How should this be wired up to work correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:49 am 
Forum User

Where are these wires that you are tapping into located?

When I wired my turn signal lights on my ARB, I just tapped into the wires right by the turn signal bulb - there were just 2, can't remember the colors though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 am 
Supporting Member

Since Nissan changes the wire colors even within a year, I always make a small cut in the wires and test with a multi-meter or a cheap test light before splicing. That way you can be sure it will function the way you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:03 am 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
Since Nissan changes the wire colors even within a year, I always make a small cut in the wires and test with a multi-meter or a cheap test light before splicing. That way you can be sure it will function the way you want.

I believe I have a mult-meter (got one a while back) but have never used it...how doest one go about using it to test the wires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:49 am 
Forum User

Turn your MM to VDC or Voltage with a straight line.

Make sure the black lead is in Negative and the red wire in the positive.

Quick test is put the red lead on positive battery terminal and negative on a good chasis ground. You should see voltage.

To test the turn signal you need to put black on a good chasis ground and the red on the wire you need to test.

You should see the voltage go from 12-13ish to 0 as it flashes.

This is why a test light is sometimes easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 pm 
Forum User

OK...hooked them up correctly...with the truck lights on the turn signal works just fine. Without the truck lights on the turn signal only flashes VERY, VERY faintly...I assume it needs some sort of relay, resistor or the like. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:52 pm 
Supporting Member

Sounds like you have a bad ground. Make sure you have a clean, metal to metal connection.

Perhaps the flasher is not strong enough, but I doubt that since it will handle trailers just fine.

What kind of lights are you using. Maybe they are drawing too much power, which would make them dim. If you were using say a 55 watt bulb, thinking it would be brighter, that would draw too much power and be dim. Flashers draw comparatively little power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:06 pm 
Forum User

Well if the LEDs were meant for turn signals, maybe one of the wires is supposed to be the relay wire, one to + and one to -. There wasn't any install sheet or information from the manufacter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 pm 
Noob

Doing car audio for 6 years and i've never seen anything have a "relay" wire. Aside from a remote car starter.

The way a relay works is it acts as a switch. It takes a signal input (ex: 12v from your turn signal) to activate the relay, which tne supplied power from your battery.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
See link for much better explaination.

LEDs should only have a + and a - input. Can you take pics? Link to what you bought?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:18 am 
Forum User

JMLoughrey wrote:
Doing car audio for 6 years and i've never seen anything have a "relay" wire. Aside from a remote car starter.

The way a relay works is it acts as a switch. It takes a signal input (ex: 12v from your turn signal) to activate the relay, which tne supplied power from your battery.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
See link for much better explaination.

LEDs should only have a + and a - input. Can you take pics? Link to what you bought?

Yes, one positive, one negative and a ground...as I said, the lights work just fine (all LEDs lit and flashing) when the headlights are turned on but only flash VERY weakly when the headlights are off....