It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

Post subject: Parking brake return spring reinstall??
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:23 pm 
Forum User

So I put the rear drums all back together and could not figure out one part...the parking brake return spring...the Haynes manual doesn't even mention it and the Nissan guide shows it but doesn't detail exactly how it goes on the steel cable that attaches to the pulley inside the rear drums...Anyone??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:50 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok, this is from memory, so bear with me. there are two parts. There is a cam that attaches on the back of (axle side) of the dust cover of the brake. The brake cable attaches to the top of the cam. The bottom of this level goes into where the brake shoes are. There is a cable in there that attaches to that which has the return spring on it. The spring goes between a washer-like part before the cable end. Attach the inside first before connecting the cable that goes to the e-brake.

I'm sure that's as clear as mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:13 pm 
Forum User

Yeah, see, the problem I'm having...is that in the pic above (provided by Brent) and the way I "think" it may go on is that it is not compressed at all--there is nothing on the non cam end to attach to...the wire end isn't large enough to retain the spring and it just kind of hugs up against a little knob on the PB Lever...on the other end is the cam and that little vertical washer through which the wire passes...the only way I can see it going on currently is to just thread it over the wire, completely uncompressed and on one end up against the PB Lever and on the other end up against the cam...I just felt weird about putting it on there with nothing really retaining it or holding it firmly in place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:37 pm 
Forum User

figured it out...I hadn't noticed the metal "U" that is on the back of the PB lever into which the knob on the end of the parking brake line fits...the spring is put over this parking brake line and ends at the metal washer...phew...thats all done now...