It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am

Post subject: Rancho RS5000 schock question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:29 am 
Forum User

Hi Guys. I am in need of new shocks on the X and being as mechanically dysfunctional as I am, I intend to take it to our local pep-boys who do good work on my other car. They can get the Monroe Reflex which hasn't gotten exactly stellar reviews and the Rancho RS5000 which are getting great reviews. I can get them for around 75 bucks apiece. Anyone got any experience with Rancho's? I don't intend on lifting the truck anytime soon now because I'll be wanting to park it in our garage for the next few years, so that isn't a factor.

Thanks
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 am 
Forum User

i run rs5000s at all 4 corners, and for the money, i couldnt be happier....

yeah, the ride is kinda rough, but they are exponentially better than the stock ride, and they are MUCH cheaper than bilsteins.....i've put them through some serious shit, and they still work nicely...plus, they make a cool "hissing" noise when they compress...hehe

$75 a pop is kinda high though, i snagged all 4 through 4x4parts.com for $125 over the summer....

I AM McLOVIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 am 
Forum User

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/index. ... 92_405_541

$43 a peice, and even after shipping you will save a bundle!

plus, you can get the shocks meant for the 3" suspension lift now, as they will compress enough to ride at stock height, and if you ever decide to go with a lift, you already have the right shocks

I AM McLOVIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 am 
Global Moderator

I agree with Brian, $75 is too much. Changing the shocks is really one of the easiest jobs that can be done on our trucks (even I can do it :oops: ). You should be able to accomplish this with a 5mm hex key and a couple wrenches. It would be a great leaning experience and you?d get to know your truck a bit better with the least amount of risk of F?ing it up. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
I agree with Brian, $75 is too much. Changing the shocks is really one of the easiest jobs that can be done on our trucks (even I can do it :oops: ). You should be able to accomplish this with a 5mm hex key and a couple wrenches. It would be a great leaning experience and you?d get to know your truck a bit better with the least amount of risk of F?ing it up. :wink:

Tom I can sorta disagree. Last time I went to take off my shocks (installing my new rear leafs) I broke the welded on top mount and couldn't get the bottoms off due to the mounts being rounded off from offroading. So anything could happen..;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:50 pm 
Forum User

I'm pretty sure that mine aren't going to be worn down from off-roading, but broken stuff could suck a lot. The ones that are on there now have at least 50K on them and I do have a bit of a rust issue going on too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:25 pm 
Supporting Member

The Ranchos are okay, but get Bilstiens and you'll never have to replace them again. Well worth the extra $40.

If you have your stock shocks on there for 50k, they were shot 30k before this.

I agree with Tom...yes, anything can happen, but have one of us give you a hand just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:04 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:

If you have your stock shocks on there for 50k, they were shot 30k before this.

Lol. I don't know if they're the original shocks. I bought it used, but I can tell you that they're done now for sure. I had about a thousand bucks worth of groceries in the back a while back for where I work and it bottomed out when I hit a speed bump....and I remember thinking "Well that ain't good!". Thanks for all the advice guys. I knew I could count on you.
Ed