It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Post subject: Anyone know what the draw is...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:53 am 
Forum User

on the front side/marker lights? Additionally, anyone know what would occur if you snipped off the maker light "plug" and just wired it directly to a new light? Would it still blink like a turn signal? Stay on permanently? Not come on at all??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:39 am 
Forum User

probably 35W, like the OEM fogs

if you cut the wiring to the stock corner lights and wired it to a new light, it would behave exactly the same as the old corner light, as long as power draw was similar(i.e. the OEM wiring/blinker switch might not be rated for more than 55W)...much more than that you will probably fry the wiring or blinker switch , or blow a fuse....pull the bulbs from the corners and see what there rated at, and use those bulbs in whatever lights you are wiring in(if possible)

sounds like you are wiring the corner lights on an ARB or TJM bumper?

I AM McLOVIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 am 
Forum User

just checked xterraparts:

if its 00-01, its a 27W bulb(weird?)
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_ ... ?keywords=[26120A]+\(wd22&cPath=532_14_53_58

02-04 with separate side marker
http://www.courtesyparts.com/26180a-bul ... -5835.html
(not sure on Watts for this one)

I AM McLOVIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:55 am 
Forum User

baf6 wrote:
probably 35W, like the OEM fogs

if you cut the wiring to the stock corner lights and wired it to a new light, it would behave exactly the same as the old corner light, as long as power draw was similar(i.e. the OEM wiring/blinker switch might not be rated for more than 55W)...much more than that you will probably fry the wiring or blinker switch , or blow a fuse....pull the bulbs from the corners and see what there rated at, and use those bulbs in whatever lights you are wiring in(if possible)

sounds like you are wiring the corner lights on an ARB or TJM bumper?

Good guess on your part...I have an '00 and I am tired of the stock marker lights not fitting quite right in my fiberglass fenders and am just ditching both stock marker lights and the plastic "grill" (tired of that cracking and such as well though I'll miss the Nissan symbol...)

Going to put some durable LED marker lights in my Shrock bumper and be done with it...just need a plasma cutter or a bunch of REALLY sharp bits...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:14 am 
Supporting Member

If your talking about the top side marker lamp, they're just 194, Miniature Lamps. They only draw .27 amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:22 am 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
If your talking about the top side marker lamp, they're just 194, Miniature Lamps. They only draw .27 amps.

What about the light as a whole? Manufacturer lists the draw of the ones I just bought at 170 miliamps (0.17 amps)...love those LEDs...now time to strip the front of the X I suppose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:48 pm 
Supporting Member

Signal Light:

Bulb Type:GT-8
Electrical Rating:12.8/14.00 Volt 28.54/8.26 Watt
Candle Power:30/2.25

Total of 8.53 Watts

If you replace the bulbs with led's you will probably have to replace the flasher...most led manufactures sell after market flashers to compensate.

If you stick with the stock flasher, I believe if will flash fast, as if one of your bulbs was burned out. They are designed to do that so you know it's a problem...unlike the old flashers that relied solely on a bi-metallic strip to flash and would just stay on if you had low amperage draw. I'm quite sure your stock flasher would still flash, just quickly with the low amperage draw.

Now the trick would be to make it so it will pass inspection. It seems as though MA is a PITA like NYS. What ever you do, the lenses will need a DOT mark and the location could be a problem. The lights would probably need to be visible from the front and side like stock. I don't know, but that could hang you up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm 
Supporting Member

Dan's in NH.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:21 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
Signal Light:

Total of 8.53 Watts

If you replace the bulbs with led's you will probably have to replace the flasher...most led manufactures sell after market flashers to compensate.

If you stick with the stock flasher, I believe if will flash fast, as if one of your bulbs was burned out. They are designed to do that so you know it's a problem...unlike the old flashers that relied solely on a bi-metallic strip to flash and would just stay on if you had low amperage draw. I'm quite sure your stock flasher would still flash, just quickly with the low amperage draw.

Now the trick would be to make it so it will pass inspection. It seems as though MA is a PITA like NYS. What ever you do, the lenses will need a DOT mark and the location could be a problem. The lights would probably need to be visible from the front and side like stock. I don't know, but that could hang you up.

Yeah, I'm not exactly concerned about it...it will be visible from the front and side due to where I am going to place it on the shrock but I have so many mom and pop places it will be no problem...So what is it that causes the flash? The bulb or plug itself or something between the stalk on the column and the light itself? I'm just not sure what you mean when you say "If you stick with the stock flasher"...there will be no more side light pod at all...no marker light, no turn signal, nothing...just the new LED pod flushed into the shrock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm 
Supporting Member

spalind wrote:
daggerdoggie wrote:
Signal Light:

Total of 8.53 Watts

Yeah, I'm not exactly concerned about it...it will be visible from the front and side due to where I am going to place it on the shrock but I have so many mom and pop places it will be no problem...So what is it that causes the flash? The bulb or plug itself or something between the stalk on the column and the light itself? I'm just not sure what you mean when you say "If you stick with the stock flasher"...there will be no more side light pod at all...no marker light, no turn signal, nothing...just the new LED pod flushed into the shrock...

The flash is caused by the flasher. It's a separate plug-in unit under the dash. It's easy to replace if you have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
spalind wrote:
daggerdoggie wrote:
Signal Light:

Total of 8.53 Watts

The flash is caused by the flasher. It's a separate plug-in unit under the dash. It's easy to replace if you have to.

So if I'm not touching that, you're saying that the light on the other end will still flash on and off, just faster than normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 pm 
Supporting Member

It should. The low amp draw will have some affect, but most flashers don't use bi-metallic strips anymore. I'm not sure what our Xterra's use, but pretty sure it's electronic.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash).
These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

I'd recommend using these.