It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Post subject: Sensor removal question...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:55 pm 
Forum User

Anyone ever remove/disconnect the dual sensors that plug into the blue Hitachi labeled part on the left side of the throttle body?? I have the pair and the Hitachi labeled part seperated from the throttle body but can't get the plugs to seperate from the Hitachi part...It looks like they have a little tab you can push down and they should come apart but I haven't managed to do it yet....Any help??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:13 am 
Noob

the part you are referring to is the throttle position sensor. They are supposed to release by pushing on the tabs on them on the side and pulling. You could try using a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the latch off of the tab it latches on to on the sensor.

Because you removed the sensor you will need to set the adjustment for the idle position for it. You will need a multimeter with the ohm function and a feeler gauge set. After that you will need to perform the procedure for re-setting the sensor's idle positon memory.

If you need to know how to do the previously mentioned things let me know and I will go in to detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:09 pm 
Forum User

saltus440 wrote:
the part you are referring to is the throttle position sensor. They are supposed to release by pushing on the tabs on them on the side and pulling. You could try using a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the latch off of the tab it latches on to on the sensor.

Because you removed the sensor you will need to set the adjustment for the idle position for it. You will need a multimeter with the ohm function and a feeler gauge set. After that you will need to perform the procedure for re-setting the sensor's idle positon memory.

If you need to know how to do the previously mentioned things let me know and I will go in to detail.

Oooooooo....sounds involved...yes, please detail and I have one off so far...have to work on the other...they are on there TIGHT!! Also...anyone know the part # for the throttle body gasket? Going to have to replace that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:06 pm 
Forum User

OK...finally got the other sensor out...what a bitch...I hope they are readily replaceable because I am worried about all the strain I put on the plastic plug to get it undone...put it back together with some di-electric grease to hopefully improve things in the future...Got the new throttle body on and turned the truck over...starts and idles just fine...gotta take it out for a test drive but I definately learned a lot in doing this mod....will have a full report forth coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:37 pm 
Forum User

any improvement with your "new" throttle body?
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:59 pm 
Forum User

O1SalsaX wrote:
any improvement with your "new" throttle body?
:)

Haven't road tested it yet...just turned it over and played with the throttle in my garage...Let me tell you one thing though...if you have not disconnected the air intake tube and cleaned the throttle body with TB cleaner.....you HAVE to!! I was SHOCKED and a bit frightened to be honest with you, as to how much black oily gunk was to be found on the walls of the throttle body and further upstream into the main intake manifold...it was CAKED on there...Now I'll state two things--1-there was NO black oily gunk caked on the air filter side of the TB so I know it was not due to the K&N or JWT airfilters I have on there 2-There has NEVER been even the slightest burning of oil/smoke coming out of my exhaust, no drop in oil levels, nothing....
So I'm not sure where all that black oil gunk came from but I was glad I got rid of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:53 pm 
Forum User

Wow.. That is good to know.
I guess I'll be pulling the throttle body and doing some heavy cleaning soon.
At 105k miles I'm sure its a mess.

Thanks for the heads up.

You might want to leave your battery disconnected overnight so everything resets itself for the new throttle body. It might help the ECM realize it's getting more cfms. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:46 am 
Forum User

I cleaned mine with deep creep a while back. get the engine hot, kill it, pull the intake, open the throttle body and hose everything down... Worked good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:05 am 
Forum User

O1SalsaX wrote:
Wow.. That is good to know.
I guess I'll be pulling the throttle body and doing some heavy cleaning soon.
At 105k miles I'm sure its a mess.

Thanks for the heads up.

You might want to leave your battery disconnected overnight so everything resets itself for the new throttle body. It might help the ECM realize it's getting more cfms. :D

That was the first thing I did in doing the swap...I almost always disconnect the battery when working on the engine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:20 pm 
Supporting Member

spalind wrote:
OK...finally got the other sensor out...what a bitch...I hope they are readily replaceable because I am worried about all the strain I put on the plastic plug to get it undone...put it back together with some di-electric grease to hopefully improve things in the future...Got the new throttle body on and turned the truck over...starts and idles just fine...gotta take it out for a test drive but I definately learned a lot in doing this mod....will have a full report forth coming...

They are readily replaceable, but if I remember correctly, it's around $100, I replaced mine a couple of years ago.

Nissan connectors are a bitch. Saltus is right, the small screwdriver works great; sometimes it is easier to have two people and have one person push down on the tab with a small screwdriver while the other person pulls on the connectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:04 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
Nissan connectors are a bitch. Saltus is right, the small screwdriver works great; sometimes it is easier to have two people and have one person push down on the tab with a small screwdriver while the other person pulls on the connectors.

Since normally alone working on the truck I do the screwdriver on the locking tab but also put a locking vise-grip needle nose onto the connector plastic. That way my dominant hand (right for me) works the screwdriver for more control and my left hand can pull on the vise-grip to give a tug once I get it "unlocked".