It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:48 pm 
Supporting Member

fusionfronty99 wrote:
daggerdoggie wrote:
Do you mean an air ratchet? Like this?

I have an older Stanley one that has an all aluminum housing that has held up well for years. Do know, however that air ratchets don't have the oomph of an impact gun, but are great to speed up lighter work. Most are less than 50ft lbs; my gun is 600 ft/lbs.

you have an air ratchet that does 600 pounds???????

No. I meant my air gun, not my ratchet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 pm 
Forum User

great idea...wish I had a garage....

Tow Rig: '04 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:12 am 
Noob

best tool ive ever bought

Post subject: Re: the Tool thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Global Moderator

OK, back to reality for the rest of us poor slobs. :(

A cool thing worked out for me yesterday so I thought I’d share…

When I wanted a punch to make a mark for drilling a hole into a piece of metal I was like most folks scrounging around for a nail to smack with a hammer.

This;
works so much better especially if you have clumsy fat fingers and it does not require a hammer. You just push the point down where you need to start a hole and the spring action will automatically kick back to produce a precise punch every time.

It puts the mark right where you want it.

This tool came in unexpectedly handy last night as I was trying to change the bearings in my SLR center-link.
The split ring that holds the bearing in one side had rust welded into place. When I tried to get it out with a pick it would not budge. When I tried a flat screwdriver I broke the tip of it off. Now there was nothing to grab. I even tried pressing it from ether side while soaking it with PB blaster for a day. No luck…
I decided to try and drill a hole in the end of it to fit a pick into. I hit the split-ring with the auto punch a couple of times to start the hole and the end broke off some more. f@ck.
I then had an epiphany; I hit the split ring with the punch a few times about an inch from the end and it pushed that inch out enough to grab with a needle nose! Yanked out the split-ring and pushed out the worn bushings. Easy peesy Japanesey.

I’ve seen them priced as low as $3 and as high as $30. I believe they all work the same and therefore have a cheap one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:01 pm 
Forum User

I got one of those I use it 4 work when I have to drill tiles marble etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
Global Moderator

mixxali4 wrote:
I got one of those I use it 4 work when I have to drill tiles marble etc.

It doesn't crack the tile?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Forum User

it works the same way as on the metal

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm 
Forum User

Bass4Runner wrote:
On the lighter side of repairs, a multimeter is a great tool to have around.
Unlike older vehicles, you can't just go probing @ wires with a test light to find electrical problems in certain systems.

The only problem for me, with a tool like this, I haven't a clue as to how to use it. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm 
Forum User

I got this bad boy as a Christmas gift from the wifey. It takes off lugs in a snap.

By asesack at 2012-05-24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Years ago when I first started this game with my Xterra I would change out my Mud Terrains for a set of AT’s for street use. It was such a PITA that I ended up selling my AT set up and just ran my MT’s into the ground.

Now that I’m running 35’s I plan to swap them out to my old 33’s when I’m not off-roading. There are a few reasons I’m going this way. The first is that the 35’s cost a bit more than the 33’s so I’d like them to last a bit longer. The second is that the local beaches don’t allow tires larger than my 33’s. If I want to go fishing they need to be changed. Then there is the fact that I wouldn't get much for my worn out 33's on the beat to shit rims they are on.

Remembering what a pain it was to change them I spent some Christmas cash on a new tool;
It’s a Milwaukee 2767-20.

We’ll see if it makes the job any easier…

murphy wrote:
Nice impact! I used one on a mod day a month or so ago. It blew the pants off of my Ridgid 18v 1/2” impact. If I didn’t already have 6 batteries and 5 other tools that are Ridgid I would seriously consider the Milwaukee.

I convinced myself I would swap my 285 Duratracs out when I wasn’t wheeling. I had 265 Toyo’s that I was intending to daily drive. The 265’s finally went to someone on Craigslist. I literally never put them back on the truck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm 
Events Committee Member

nice... I love my battery impact

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 am 
Global Moderator

Good call. I too intended to swap back to the ATs just never did!
It’s fortunate that I don’t put too many miles on the old girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 am 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
Years ago when I first started this game with my Xterra I would change out my Mud Terrains for a set of AT’s for street use. It was such a PITA that I ended up selling my AT set up and just ran my MT’s into the ground.

Now that I’m running 35’s I plan to swap them out to my old 33’s when I’m not off-roading. There are a few reasons I’m going this way. The first is that the 35’s cost a bit more than the 33’s so I’d like them to last a bit longer. The second is that the local beaches don’t allow tires larger than my 33’s. If I want to go fishing they need to be changed. Then there is the fact that I wouldn't get much for my worn out 33's on the beat to shit rims they are on.

Remembering what a pain it was to change them I spent some Christmas cash on a new tool;

murphy wrote:
Nice impact! I used one on a mod day a month or so ago. It blew the pants off of my Ridgid 18v 1/2” impact. If I didn’t already have 6 batteries and 5 other tools that are Ridgid I would seriously consider the Milwaukee.

I convinced myself I would swap my 285 Duratracs out when I wasn’t wheeling. I had 265 Toyo’s that I was intending to daily drive. The 265’s finally went to someone on Craigslist. I literally never put them back on the truck.

Torque sticks are a great add on to that, otherwise you may overtighten. Nobody likes a snapped lug!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:29 am 
Global Moderator

BostonX wrote:
Bklyn.X wrote:

murphy wrote:

Torque sticks are a great add on to that, otherwise you may overtighten. Nobody likes a snapped lug!

Truth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 am 
Forum User

I just picked up a set of the 3/8” Pro tite-wrench. Can be used with impact to some degree. Looks useful.

http://www.tite-reach.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next