It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:21 am 
Supporting Member

I had my Check Engine light come on yesterday, and there was two codes, one of whick was a Knock Sen...... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm 
Supporting Member

Inurteeth2 wrote:
I had my Check Engine light come on yesterday, and there was two codes, one of whick was a Knock Sen...... :x

The knock sensor code probably exists in almost every Nissan over a few years old. It's very common and not a huge problem except in the SC trucks. It's doesn't trip the CEL and doesn't always affect performance, which is why you don't know it until you read the code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 pm 
Supporting Member

hotwheeled wrote:
Hi,
tried this KS move on a 2002 s/c frontier after poor performance and ks code... 0328 code is gone but having other issues that i am unable to diagnose that i think were related to the knock sensor throwing a code..no power at highway speeds...boost feels all gone (feels like pullin a stubborn mule). allot of heat in the engine bay and timing still looks retarded(using a scan gauge with simple knowledge on how to use it).

i have no other codes...things i have checked,exhaust replaced...checked vacuum lines...spark...rotor and distributor...cleaned maf..running hightest 93 fuel and do not know where to go from here. dealer has inspected with no results..it checked out to them. it runs fine while its cold..about ten minutes...then it just bogs down...looked for a crack in the exhaust manifold...could see anything apparent...no noise from either side.

any help appreciated for direction on my next move.

hw

When you say the code is gone, do you mean you cleared it? If so, it may come right back. With a 328 code, which is high voltage, your knock sensor very well may be performing normally. If there is engine knock, that would cause a high voltage situation, causing it to throw a code and therefor retarding the timing, which would then cause your poor performance. It's a fail safe to prevent pinging burning a hole in a piston.

While a lot of factors could cause the engine knock, I would start by buying gas from another vendor that goes through a lot of gas. Run a few tanks and see if it goes away. You could also try cleaning the injectors with Sea Foam (there's a post on that in here as well). Dirty injectors could cause a lean-fuel situation which would cause it to knock as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:16 pm 
Supporting Member

fusionfronty99 wrote:
still after staring at my engine bay im undecided as to where to put it :(

lol

dagger, would you be willing to come down on a weekend n help me, ill get beer n pizza

Always willing to help, but getting away right now with a roof to put on is tough.

I'll have to take a look at my 2000x and try to find a good location, but most any solid-surface towards the center of the engine block, that has a good ground should do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm 
Forum User

Inurteeth2 wrote:

You have the SC too don't you? Is this the first one to go on you? Don't you just love it?? :x What was the other code?
I need to do this, I've put it off too long. I even have a knock sensor that I bought a long time ago! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm 
Supporting Member

The only tricky part is finding the correct wires. Other than that, it is easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:01 pm 
Forum User

Ya, it looks pretty easy...thanks to your pics. I'm just worried about screwing something else up! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
fusionfronty99 wrote:
still after staring at my engine bay im undecided as to where to put it :(

lol

dagger, would you be willing to come down on a weekend n help me, ill get beer n pizza

Always willing to help, but getting away right now with a roof to put on is tough.

I'll have to take a look at my 2000x and try to find a good location, but most any solid-surface towards the center of the engine block, that has a good ground should do.

i understand, im willing to drive up there too if thats cool

33s on a 3 inch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:20 am 
Noob

[quote][i]"When you say the code is gone, do you mean you cleared it? If so, it may come right back. With a 328 code, which is high voltage, your knock sensor very well may be performing normally. If there is engine knock, that would cause a high voltage situation, causing it to throw a code and therefor retarding the timing, which would then cause your poor performance. It's a fail safe to prevent pinging burning a hole in a piston.

While a lot of factors could cause the engine knock, I would start by buying gas from another vendor that goes through a lot of gas. Run a few tanks and see if it goes away. You could also try cleaning the injectors with Sea Foam (there's a post on that in here as well). Dirty injectors could cause a lean-fuel situation which would cause it to knock as well."[/i][/quote]

Hi daggerdoggie

after the KS relocate,i cleared the code and it has not shown up again. performance is poor still. it takes 5-10 mins but peddle goes sluggish with no real throttle response..it couldnt climb a hill even if as suggest by my son, to strap a rocket on the back end. i am on the second tank and it hasnt gone away...timing looks still retarded with a scan gauge and my poor understanding on how to use it. sounds funny but i thinks it may be worse with the ks relocate.

thanks for the tips...gonna try a different dealer...wish i could diagnose this as the last dealer says it can find anything wrong after a full inspection.

what he missed was burnt out cats,leaking muffler and straight pipes.
tire feathering,wheel alignment,bushings,two upper ball joints and a few other things so far.these have been fixed at a muffler shop and a suspension shop...didnt want to throw any money at the dealer.

i bought this at a private sale for my son in june (was described by the cop that i bought it from as " a truck that wont disappoint").i test drove it cold and the KS issues were not there until it wars up. i then had the frontier inspected at the dealer before i paid...only thing they found bad was wiper blades, so i went ahead with the purchase.my son has been patient cause he hasnt said much but i know he want to drive it...its looking more and more like i was a sitting duck and got taken.

hw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 pm 
Supporting Member

Well the other is an Eval Leak... SOmething to do with My gas tank or fuel sensor.... i dont know, i have to look underneath and see if i knocked something off while i was wheeling on thursday. Everything look find but i dont know what it could be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:54 pm 
Noob

[quote="LuxuryDetailer"]try the relocation hotwheeled, If the code is present then It is def. causing you the problems.[/quote]

already was done at the time of my message...no code..still performance issues...maybe even a little worse since relocate...tried about everthing i can with limited mech knowledge...went over FSM and tried a few things there...gonna have to take it to the dealers on the 4th as i bought this used

it ran great cold when i test drove it...and it also passed the dealer inspection(laugh)..once it warmed up...it lost all power...i have looked for manifold cracks and couldnt get at the heat shields myself ( none were said to be found and have to check this myself as i didnt see any tool marks on the heat shields after i got it back from the shop)...had exhaust changed...All driveline fluids changed and oil.

new tires and some front end bushings and ball joints,check gas cap running high octane gas...tried different gas stations cleaned CAI...checked vacuum lines and all hoses i can get at...no other codes or symptoms to point me in a direction.

also pulled a history of the truck...does not look like it ever seen the inside of a dealer...all small town mechanics work(1200 people)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:24 am 
Supporting Member

ok i had my truck looked at and i guess my Check engine light is on for two things....

One is the Knock Sensor... I'm not to worry about that cause thanks to scott there a work around! yey for 02 superchargers!

The Second is the Eval Pruge Volume Control Solenoid....
I went to see if i could buy one and there was a few options.. i dont know which one to go with.

The part is 14920.. When i was talking to Firestone he said that, there are a few differnt ones and one i should get is a blue one... i guess there is a difference in the colored value.

Heres the link

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_ ... ?keywords=[14920]+\(wd22&cPath=532_14_47_446

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 am 
Supporting Member

If you look at it theres also a difference in solenoids... ones 14956VA and the other is 14920

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 am 
Supporting Member

I looks as though one is for the NA truck and one is for the SC. Not sure which number is for which model, but if you call Nissan, they could tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 pm 
Noob

knock sensor
ok so here is my first post @ nexterra
i just did the sensor re-do, because i've been throwing a 328 high voltage code for more than year (audible knocking).
then i clear the code with a OBD2 scanner
and now i'm getting a 327 low voltage code...
2002 v6 N/A, 80K miles

the only thing i could think of is the place on the manifold does not offer enough surface area for the sensor, thereby not generating enough voltage...

any thought?

in the past gettting gas in new jersey has helped clear the code by it's self...go figure

Last edited by coastie on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next