It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Post subject: NYS: Big Brother is here!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:50 pm 
Supporting Member

Long story, but I'll try to make it short.

The Blue X has sat in the garage since November and since I was not driving it, I let the registration and inspection expire. I go to get it registered (traditionally, you go get a new registration and the give you a ten-day inspection sticker) I get to DMV; she takes my forms, puts the info into the computer and it won't allow me to register the truck since the inspection has expired. NEW RULE! She didn't even know it, but since the inspection has expired, I can't get it registered until it is inspected.

But how do I drive it to get it inspected legally if it's not registered? She doesn't know, and also thinks it is stupid, but that's the law now.

So I make an appointment to have it inspected for today. Now in NYS, if your vehicle fails the code test they have to pull the sticker and start a work order to fix the problem immediately (the code test is hooked up to the state computer). Anyway, they take the portable code reader just to check, which they are not supposed to do, and I get the ubiquitous P0327 knock sensor code, which fails the truck. I've done this job before and am not doing it again.

So I ordered an new knock sensor and a "97 Maxima wiring harness and will bolt the thing to valve cover or the intake manifold.

On the positive side, they do give UNYX member a 20% discount on parts, but still it's about $150. I did think of going the resister route, but I'm going to give this a try. It's all just very frustrating.

Well, while the truck is off the road, it's time to install the steering system that sitting in my garage. I just finished replacing the front brakes and changing the brake fluid which took me all of 45 minutes...at least that went well.

I can't believe that in NYS a knock sensor, which does nothing, and has nothing to do with emissions, fails your inspection. The techs think it is stupid as well.

Oh, and by the way, the knock sensor putting the SC in bypass mode is bunk to. My super charger kicks in just fine and the Nissan techs said that they've seen that too in other vehicles as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm 
Forum User

I can understand your frustration with this Dagger. :roll: NYS DMV is not the best of situations to be involved in.

Well personally, I would have asked to speak to a supervisor to get their advice. I would have asked that if I have a expired registration and should not be driving the vehicle since it is uninspected, how can it get to any mechanic to have the tests run to pass? Will the DMV accept responsibility for any tickets that any NYS driver will be getting to have vehicles inspected?

I can see if they wanted to not allow inspection stations that are privately owned to hand out temporary passes and just the state could issue them but this is just silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 am 
Noob

I would already know what they would say, "Tow it". But I agree that it is a stupid rule.

Knock sensor will fail it? are you kidding me, whats next, if the cig lighter doesn't work you fail???

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shiznit...what a ride!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:06 pm 
Forum User

speedy wrote:
whats next, if the cig lighter doesn't work you fail???

I'm not sure about all XTerra's,but my X didn't come with a cigarette lighter just "power ports" (or something like that.)

I think that is a stupid rule,just like having a inspection sticker to re-register a trailer/camper that doesn't have a brake system in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:48 pm 
Noob

WilsonX wrote:
speedy wrote:
whats next, if the cig lighter doesn't work you fail???

I'm not sure about all XTerra's,but my X didn't come with a cigarette lighter just "power ports" (or something like that.)

Ummm, same thing man.......

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shiznit...what a ride!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:19 pm 
Forum User

yes Speedy,but I didn't get the actual lighter part that lights the cigarette which doesn't matter to me because I'm a second hand smoker* (cheaper and it kills you twice as fast) and Patty doesn't smoke so we have no need for that part.:wink:

*I'm actually a non-smoker....the second hand smoke line is just my way of trying to be funny*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:58 pm 
Forum User

Be grateful then. Dealer almost wanted to charge me $75 for it (smoker's kit) since it wasn't considered standard as of 2001/2 (from what dealer stated) until I pointed out the list cost of about $20. :roll: Worst part was when they told me I had to come to get it installed and just wound up being the ashtray "cup" and lighter element to "INSTALL". Well after they mistakenly had ordered the Maxima part due to a U instead of V in the part number. :roll: Let me just say this, I only recommend Geis (now Curry Nissan) in Peekskill for the proximity to the buyer. I wil say they did do me "right" in the new purchase due to a "contact" ini the parts dept.

If anyone ever wants the "Nissan Smoker's Kit" just do yourself a favor and get the ashtray from Xterraparts (Ford ashtray) and pick up a cheap element to the lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:43 am 
Noob

Maryland is similar, You only have to get it inspected once (for as long as you own it) but it has to be inspected to get the registration. They make it simple though for a extra $45 you can buy a 10 day tag.....