It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 am

Post subject: Maintence Tools Info
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 pm 
Forum User

OK guys/gals I been going crazy on my next decision of purchases for tools. Please help with any information you might have.

In reviewing jack stats, let just say this... :roll: To be nice, it has just been driving me insane. So for those who have their own jacks..
    What is the maximum height lift & weight limit of the unit you have, along with model/manufacturer info? (i.e.: lift:21", 2.5K lbs, [site info, etc])

If the jack still works for you after all your modifications, what mods do you have in regard to lifting do you have?? (i.e.: SL, BL, etc with hieght numbers)

Now since I haven't seen anyone's jack to date... I am more interested in the details to the infamous "Blue/Yellow Lift" jack :lol: everyone has used (HINT Dagger) :lol: :D :roll: Hey if I can I will tease....

Secondly, been looking into a compressor but since I live in an apt. building there wouldn't be an available electical hookup so...
Does anyone own a gas powered compressor or know of any information that I could look into. So far from what I have seen it is going to be double the cost of a "home electric" unit so anything that would be helpful is much appreciated, especially cost wise :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:38 am 
Forum User

don't buy a Craftsman jack what ever you do... they are garbage and Craftsman will not warrant repairs after 1 year which is when all the seals go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:53 pm 
Forum User

Quote:
don't buy a Craftsman jack what ever you do... they are garbage and Craftsman will not warrant repairs after 1 year which is when all the seals go.

I've had my craftsman floor jack for over 8 years with no issues whatsoever.
Of course now that I said something it will die on me. :roll:
Another thing to consider is how much the jack weighs.
My old craftsman jack weighs over 70lbs and SUCKS to drag out in the gravel driveway. :(

Might want to consider an aluminum one if it will even lift your truck.

Good luck and post up what you end up getting. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:23 pm 
Forum User

Shmittey wrote:

Well actually that is why I posted this topic. The one jack I do have is a Craftsman and is well over 15 years old, rusty as an old exposed frame left sitting in a field and still working but not tall enough to reach even stock height jack points. :lol: It also weighs probably 70 lbs. What jacks do you have & or use when working on your trucks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:07 pm 
Forum User

THe key point is your jacks are 8 + 15 years old! they suck now trust me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:08 pm 
Forum User

They don't build 'em like they used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:42 pm 
Forum User

My craftsman floor jack starting leaking after only a year as well.

My craftsman floor jacks are great though.

Post subject: Re: Maintence Tools Info
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:08 pm 
Forum User

DMpmfd wrote:
Secondly, been looking into a compressor but since I live in an apt. building there wouldn't be an available electical hookup so...
Does anyone own a gas powered compressor or know of any information that I could look into. So far from what I have seen it is going to be double the cost of a "home electric" unit so anything that would be helpful is much appreciated, especially cost wise :wink:

CO2 tank. Pick up a 10 or 20lb tank and you'll have air for the house along with a trail tank...

# Chris
# Looks like he drove down the tacky aisle with the crap magnet turned on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:57 pm 
Forum User

Already have a 20 Lb tank for off roading but was thinking the compressor would work better when performing maintanence. Since the X is my only vehicle available, makes it a little hard to run for CO2 if I run out in middle of the maintanence. :lol: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:18 pm 
Forum User

Is there any particular reason why you need a compressor? I can do 99% of my work without air, it might take a bit longer but nothing horrible...

Pick up a spare 5-10lb tank, and just make sure one or the other is always filled it you'd be worried about it.

# Chris
# Looks like he drove down the tacky aisle with the crap magnet turned on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:49 pm 
Forum User

That's easy to answer sheer laziness!! :lol: :lol: Actually I have been checking on information since the first body lift we did at Dagger's place with his compressor. Just made everything do a lot quicker and I just getting old. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:32 pm 
Supporting Member

I have a floor jack from NAPA that is heavy, but had a limited lifetime warranty.

I'm looking at a compressor package that's at Home Depot. It's something like $250 and appears to be more of a starter setup than a professional one, but if it helps me to get some things done, it's worth it.