It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm

Post subject: Rear brakes for the '05
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:12 pm 
Dealership rear brake job=$265.00+tx New pads $40.89+tax=44.82 Less then an hour to complete=priceless
So as you read, my rear brakes are done. Very easy to do. God I love having pads on all 4's
A little write up for all who have 05's or newer.
* Lift truck and take tire off (duh) Use safety jacks.
* There are 2 14mm bolts holding on the caliper. if using hand tools, you will need to hold the back nut as well. (17mm or 18mm, i forget)(finger pointing in pic)
* Remove caliper by lifting away from rotor
* Squeeze in the caliper using a C-clamp or something similar. rest in a secure spot. Leaf spring is what I used. Don't hang by brake line!
* Remove old pads by sliding out and away from rotor. Compare old to new pads. WOW 31,942 miles on old.
(old on left in case you were wondering)
* Remove and replace shims on pads and on the caliper mount. be sure to do one at a time so you can keep track on what pad they go to..I reused mine as to save some $$ as they were in fine shape. just cleaned the mud off of everything before reassembly. lol
* I add a little no squeak to the spot where the caliper piston touches the shim and where ever the metal contacts metal.
* The pads slide in the same way they came out.
* Replace the caliper. It will slide right on unless the piston is not all the way in.
* Tighten to spec.
* Repeat on other side
* Put wheel back on
* Pump brake pressure back up.
* :cheers: You are done.
Hopefully I covered everything. All you guys with a older model, Its not so easy, Just ask Ken(01SALSA). Next time I'll take pics of that fun time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm 
Supporting Member

Nice write up!

Actually, the rear drums are not that bad. They take longer, but once you figure out all those springs, it's not too bad. The worst part, often is getting the drums off, but nothing that a fire wrench and a BFH can't solve.