It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

Post subject: Coil Swap Problems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:54 pm 
Supporting Member

Hi guys. Hoping you can help. I'm really stumped.

I'm trying to removed a pair of 650 lb springs and swap the 600 lb springs. Here are the problems:

1) coil compression: with enough BFH action, I can get the coil compressor in between the rings of the coil and compress. This is fine to remove, but I have no idea how Im going to do that in reverse when installing the new spring. The "C clamps" on either end of the spring compressor are just too fat to fit.

2) separating the retaining nut from the shock shaft. using an impact wrench, i can get both the shaft and nut to break free from the upper bushing retainer but I could not separate them. eventually they got the ol' dremel treatment since all i wanted was the coils anyway. (I tried soaking the nut in PB Blaster every day for 3 or 4 days. no luck) Also, I think they're nylock, if that matters. All of this is compounded with the fact that the studs in the shock mount are about an inch longer than usual (Nisstec did that for me so I could install spacers later) but this greatly inhibits free movement of a wrench and i can't use a ratchet since I need to hold the shaft still.

So how do I safely install the springs on struts without using a spring compressor (since I'd have no way to remove it) and how do I separate the retaining nut from the shock shaft? (Is heat OK to use or too dangerous near the compressed gas of the shock?)

Guess I'm not getting this done by Halloween Run...

Post subject: Re: Coil Swap Problems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:34 pm 
Club Secretary

I’m wondering what style compressor you’re using. I usually get the one they loan out at Autozone.

This one.
https://m.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loa ... 7_0_0?aqs=

As a matter of fact, I get two sets of them. Coils make me very nervous. I think I could only get 3 of the 4 compressors on the OME HD’s. I also think I had to partially disassemble them to remove them once the coilovers were assembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:38 pm 
Supporting Member

I'd love to know how you got that to fit between the coils

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 pm 
Supporting Member

The compressor and coilImage

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 am 
Club Secretary

If I remember right, the threaded hook spun off the end of the rod. When the compressor is new the last thread or two are modified so that hook won’t thread off. Before I received the tool, the threads at the very end may or may not have been ground down to allow the hook to spin off. Then the hook that is not threaded just slides off. It’s much easier to hook them on when they’re loose. Then run the rod through the hooks.

I’m pretty sure this is what I needed to do for both the OME’s and TJM’s for the Frontier.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:06 am 
Supporting Member

Thanks John. I'll try that. I also went on Amazon and bought two different styles of spring compressor. Including the loaner from O'Reilly's, that's three. One of them is going to work....and the rest go back!

I was eyeing a manual standalone spring compressor for only $100 but I don't think I'd get enough use out of it to justify the aggravation of my wife telling me I'm cluttering the garage.