It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 am

Post subject: Totally new guy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:31 am 
HEY GUYs!

man am i pumped to be here. well i got my Xterra about a year ago and finally have had some free time and some new found passion for my truck.

its a Silver '02 SE 4wd 5-spd.

got it used and never really was a truck guy. my project honda civic was and always has been my first love (dont think fast and furious, think Watkins Glen 140 MPH track day events)

anywho, its absolutely bone stock right now, but id like to do some nice budget modifications to the truck. im a recent College grad so money is still kinda tight, but anything i can do to hop it up a little would be great. first off, the stock GENERAL tires need to go. im looking for a nice modestly priced M/T tire. Dayton makes a nice one i saw, the timberline MT (figured it was ok as a sister company to Bridgestone/firestone)

also going to do the "poor mans lift" (removal of step sides and mud flaps)

throw on some lights up top with some might mounts. any other basic mods i should look into?

any help would be great and im glad to be aboard! cant wait to attend my first MEET and get some Offroad experience! ive never been!

regards,
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 am 
Forum User

Welcome Tim! Glad you found your way here!

You should do a real "poor mans lift" and add the shackles to the rear leaf springs and crank the t-bars. Shackles are about $50 so it's one of the cheapest mods you can do, very easy and makes a huge difference!

Again..welcome and hope to see you at a run sometime soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:27 am 
Forum User

Hey Tim!
Welcome to the crew!

Don't worry about being stock, the only thing on my truck that isn't stock is....

okay, so the whole thing is stock!

We are doing a run in PA at the end of the month, check out this [url=http://www.mellander.com/UNYX/forum/viewthread.php?tid=72]link.[/url]

Anyways, welcome aboard!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:33 am 
Supporting Member

Tim, Welcome.:)

What Micah said, get the shackes and crank up the T-bars. You may have to reindex them first. If you have quesitions, we can help.

The first thing I would buy, IMHO, would be sliders.

Again, welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:34 pm 
Welcome to the club and the world of trucks!

I heard the Firestone Destination M/Ts were an awesome tire for the price but I don't think they are for the budget minded. The Dayton Timberline MT may be the way for you to go. Firestone makes a budget A/T called LeMans. For the price you can't beat them. I've used them for 100,000 miles on my Toyota 4 x 4. They are good in snow and mud, and last 60,000 miles. I've never gotten stuck with them or punctured one; the Firestone in Albany has always throwed in free rotations for the life of the tire, and I have the lifetime allignment deal with them, which is basically as many allignments as you'll need for as long as you have the vehicle for the price of 2. You'll need an allignment after you do the lift, so you may want to think about getting the Lifetime deal, especially since you want to wheel your X. Its a no-brainer.

Alas -- I still have the Generals on my X but after I get new rubber in about a year I am probably going to replace the stock shocks with Billsteins. You might want to think about that. The lights you want will look cool but the Billsteins will improve your truck's handling.

Keep on truckin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:39 pm 
Hi Tim, hello and welcome. These guy's on this board are a great bunch of guy's and are always willing to help. Don't know how I can help since I own a pathy but they seem to be pretty close to an X since I've been messing around with Greg's X (wilsonx).

As far as what you want to do with tires first, I like the BFG MT's, IMO I think they are really good on the trail and road wear is great. My first set I ran for 3yrs on road and off and never had any troubles. I think but not sure they make a 31" . So you wouldn't have to do a lift or any body mods to make them work.

Good luck and have fun
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:44 pm 
Forum User

G'Day and welcome my X is stock and does pretty good on the trails,but it doesn't float very well.hope ya have a lot of fun with your X!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:57 am 
what kind of shackles do you guys recommend?

i was looking at a few brands. Calmani? HD? might be off on the spelling.

also is there an install right up anywhere on how to put them in and how to crank down the T-bars?

secondly, anyone have any good sites for M/T tire pricing? gotta pick some up before the snow flys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:54 pm 
Hey Tim....Welcome aboard. I'm in Rochester, too, so if you're looking to do a Mod-Day, or need a hand wrenching, or feel like goin wheeling, just drop me a line!:sup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:41 am 
Forum User

I have the Calmini shackles. You can pick them up at [url]http://www.xterraparts.com[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:44 am 
Supporting Member

The Calmini are fine. The powder coat comes off, but other than that they are great. Any shackles will do, remember to get 3" shackles which will yield a little more than an inch and a half of lift in the rear.