It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 am

Post subject: Re: Hi! 2011 MT Pro4X in E.Granby, CT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:48 am 
Forum User

Ricel wrote:
Welcome from RI! Been busy lately, but I host Mod Dayse once in a while here in RI. Maybe something to check out.

I went with the Cobra wx75. Great compact radio and super easy install. Check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the same CB, super easy install, and, takes up less space than any other option.

The "no ground plane" antenna are not needed unless you have no metal to mount to...and, the X has metal to mount to, as that's what its mostly made of, etc.

Truckers with fiberglass shells, etc, need that type of antenna.

As long as you get some antenna height over the roof, the roof will act as a good ground plane for the signal.

Post subject: Hi! 2011 MT Pro4X in E.Granby, CT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:53 am 
Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:44 pm 
Forum User

Thanks for the additional greetings and the replies on the radio questions. Curt, after 3 yrs @ NewX.org I'm well aware of the RI Monday Mod. nights, just can't see the 1.5 to 2 hr drive on a work night. I don't have the energy anymore if I ever did. I'd say don't get old but the alternative is a lot worse.

With respect to CB's, I think it will only be used for Wheeling so I'd like to keep it as unobtrusive as possible. I have been entertaining getting a Midland 75-822 for it's flexibility and installing an antenna lead from center console to the roof rack. Then fabricate/buy a tube mount for the rack that would be relatively quick to remove. I thought that a no-ground plane antenna would simply utilize a single wire that could be left wire tied to the rack or drawn back into the rear hatch until needed. The radio would plug into both power and antenna at the console for wheeling adventures and take a battery pack and stubby antenna for the out of X experiences.

Am I crazy? Probably but is the concept practical?

Scott

ps: hey c3PO "Mr Farris", not sure if I should be insulted or not, let's just stick w/ Scott :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:11 pm 
Forum User

Ok cool, didn't mean to offend.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:23 pm 
Forum User

If its only for trail use, just get the handheld CB of choice and call it a day.

Mostly, you're just yakking with the other rigs in your group, and you're rarely more than 1/2 mile apart or so, well within range for a HH with rubber stubby antenna.

That way, you don't even need to waste time/$ on an antenna mount, etc.

If you ALSO want it to work on the highway, add a mag mount steel whip and do the ant connection in place of the rubber stubby, and toss the ant on the roof...and have ~ 3-10 miles of range instead of the 1 - 2 miles for the stubby alone.

Use the mag mount when out of the woods, as they tend to get knocked off by low hanging stuff otherwise.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:12 am 
Forum User

Thanks TJ,

This is why I was looking for experienced trail CB guys to talk with. I had heard that handhelds and xterras don't work well together due to the Faraday effect of being inside the metal shell. Not true within trail range? I guess I could start with the hand held and add the antenna if I'm not satisfied.

Again, thanks!
Scott