It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

Post subject: New to the Xterra community
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:49 am 
Noob

12/23/23
About half way through 2023, I purchased our first Nissan Xterra for my wife, an 04, 3.3, 5 speed, 4X4. It was in need, and is still in need of some work, but I found the first generation Xterra to be a very capable machine. I've since purchased one for myself, an 02, 3.3, 5 speed, 4X4 and a third to be a family/trip/towing rig, an 03, 3.3, Auto, 4X4. The automatic transmission was only purchased to get its increase in towing capacity. I am now on the lookout for another two Xterras. One for my daughter and another, not in as good of a condition, to expose to the New England winter road conditions.
My experience and knowledge with the first generation Nissan Xterra is on an accelerated path for now.

I would like to thank everyone here for posting their previous and future experiences for the benefit of us all. I will also be happy to add my two cents, once my input has some value.

SPM

Post subject: Re: New to the Xterra community
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:00 am 
Global Moderator

Sorry for the lack of response, it's been kinda slow around here lately.
Welcome and thanks for finding your way onto this board! It looks like you're "all in" with this truck so you are among friends. I'm a big fan of 1st Gens.
You planning to take any of those trucks off road?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:11 pm 
Noob

There is quite a range of what some consider to be "off road".
We have actual roads here in my area that are considered to be "not town maintained", they often get washed out with heavy rain or become totally impassable from heavy snow fall. Many of the dirt roads around here, that are town maintained, get turned into up to a foot of muck once spring or "mud season" (as it is known here) rolls around.

I have taken my 04 X up some wooded mountain trails that have required the use of 4-low and quite a bit of sawing at the steering wheel. The trails have several off camber details not to mention small rocky stream beds with both loose rocks/boulders and smooth ledge obstacles. It was what I would consider to be at the limit of an unmodified truck that I would need to drive to work on Monday.
I also have several Suzuki Samurais that I have lifted and repowered with Volkswagen 1.6 diesel motors and a Chevy, K30, M1008 military CUCV. If I intended on going off roading, I would probably take one of my Suzukis, since I have more support for that platform and they have a significant size, not to mention a weight advantage in tight spots.

Thanks for the friendly greeting Bklyn.X.

SPM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:34 am 
Club Vice President

Welcome! Where in NE are you from & what do we call you? Post some pictures of rigs over in this section - viewforum.php?f=71

The Northern Exposure run is on Jan 13 in PA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:35 am 
Noob

Bklyn.X wrote:
You planning to take any of those trucks off road?

I've watched both the April Fools run video from 2014 and the October 2019 run video that you have listed on your profile page. I will say that I am duly impressed with all the vehicles featured.

I don't think that I will (for the time being) have the time or money necessary to replace what seems to be an endless pursuit of the next weakest and expensive component. My goal for the immediate future is obtaining a reliable, capable set of wheels that my whole family can take from our required point A to our required point B. I think the first generation Xterra will meet my family's needs and expectations.

At some point in the future, who knows. It does look like fun.

SPM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:29 pm 
Noob

DirtySocks wrote:
Welcome! Where in NE are you from & what do we call you? Post some pictures of rigs over in this section - http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=71

The Northern Exposure run is on Jan 13 in PA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the friendly welcome DirtySocks. Not sure what I would like to be called for now. I'll have to think about that.

I will be taking some pictures of my Xterras at some point but all my trucks are still bone stock.

I'm sorry to say, this year's Northern Exposure run is of somewhat short notice for my family and I. Perhaps we can attend another event in the near future.
With that in mind, would Nexterra have a group presence on Facebook? While I do have a Facebook account, I rarely use it and have not found it on my own. Would someone please direct me towards it?

SPM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 pm 
Club President

Ahoy and welcome aboard! pirate

From the mention of mud season, I'm guessing you're further up north in NH, VT or ME.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:16 pm 
Noob

MtDewMike wrote:
Ahoy and welcome aboard! pirate

From the mention of mud season, I'm guessing you're further up north in NH, VT or ME.

Yes, I'm in the middle of nowhere deep in the woods of New Hampshire. We have some different names all the seasons here in NH.
Winter is Frost Heave Season.
Spring is Black Fly Season or Mud Season.
Summer is Road Reconstruction Season.
Fall is Leaf Peeper Season.
Thanks
SPM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:39 am 
Club President

SPM wrote:
Winter is Frost Heave Season.
Spring is Black Fly Season or Mud Season.
Summer is Road Reconstruction Season.
Fall is Leaf Peeper Season.
Thanks
SPM

:lol: