It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm

Post subject: B2SR ?10 Carnage?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 am 
Global Moderator

I pushed in the passenger side front fender running up ?Dragon?s Gorge? so badly that the door on that side would not open all the way. Jim, who was riding shotgun, had to squeeze out of the truck to exit. I lost my passenger side mirror while not paying attention on the flattest section of trail I was on all day. I must have hit a root on the driver?s side and it threw the mirror into the one tree on the opposite side.
While Dave was stuck on a stump I decided to take off the mirror, with Jims help, so it wouldn?t be flopping around the rest of the day. To get the door to open I used a small shovel that I wrapped with a shop towel. I stuck the shovel in the space between the door and the fender and pushed the fender out using the door as the fulcrum, it worked pretty well. We then took the door panel off and took off the mirror. We did this because I thought there was a clip that could be undone to separate the base of the mirror that attaches to the door and the mirror itself. This however is not the case. The base and the mirror are ?one piece? and the only ?clip? is a quarter way down the door. If you snap your mirror off do not bother to take it off at the base, just cut the wires taking care to cut them one at a time so as not to short out the line and pop the fuse. Dennis told me that that circuit also runs other things (I think the brake lights or something). Then wait until you have a replacement before taking the door panel off.
Mike (svendog) gave me the mirror of his truck since he does not use it (trailer). Thanks Mike!
This is only one of the reasons I love being a member and wheeling with folks from this club. Most of the folks here know something about my Xterra and how it works. They are able and willing to help me fix what I break or at the very least share their knowledge.

What, if anything, did you break?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm 
Supporting Member

For me, just a few more minor dents and scratches and the loss of both plastic pieces/mud guards on the passengers side. That was done going up that gorge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
Forum User

The jeep "should have" had a mangled passenger side quarter panel since I kept tagging the SAME TREE repeatedly due to lack of traction..
But thanks to the wonders of plastic and tires that stick out way past the body of the truck, it acquired no new dents or scratches and I was able to self-recover.

Just scratched up the plastic trim a bit.. meh..

Oh, and the loud, rattling tire carrier got louder..
I might have to tighten it down a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm 
Forum User

Well if you didn't know already... I had sheared a major bolt on my center link that connected the center link to my idle arm. We were able to drill thru the center link and put a long bolt thru and attach it to the idle arm temporarily until i could get back to Robby's house. Then Jesse towed my truck to Scott's place where Scott had a space center link.

I much appreciate everyone's who had helped me on and off the trail fix my rig! Thanks again Scott for the spare center link! :thumbup:

So i just ordered essentially whole new steering components as well as additional parts that seem to be warn out and/or broken:

Tie Rod Ends
Idle arm brace
Idle Arm with Bandit bushings
Billstein Steering Stabilizer Package
Upper Control Arm ball Joint
Blower Fan Resistor (fan speeds broke on drive back...)

So i got some work ahead of me... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm 
Forum User

I got a small dent in my passenger side rear fender flare from a tree and a small ding in the hatch from the cb antenna mount that also met a tree. Going to find another location for the antenna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 am 
Forum User

I kissed a tree with my right rear quarter panel and gave myself a little wave in the sheetmetal, but that panel's messed up anyway, so no biggie.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:15 pm 
Forum User

Well... few scratches & a few bumps - nothing to be concerned about....
I think Romeo centerlink bolt carnage & Jesse's trailer's flat tire with no matching spare incident were the "worst" that happened!

BL, SL, Diff drop, Steering system, Shrockworks front with Warn, Megawarrior, 33'' MTs on Cragar 15X10, Gobi & Raingler nets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 pm 
Forum User

I dont think I got any new damage other than more pinstriping...

Pic of me and the X in action <-- click me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:20 pm 
Forum User

Avast me hardies, ye sure are a tough bunch of pirates!! Congrats....enjoyed the pix! Dagger you looked great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm 
Forum User

pinstriping is all i got and good memories :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
Noob

Shifted Winch Bumper and Missing a bolt of the skid Plate. Other than that everything else good! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 am 
Club President

conman wrote:
Shifted Winch Bumper and Missing a bolt of the skid Plate. Other than that everything else good! 8)

Were you able to fix the bumper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:52 am 
Noob

I'll be taking it ti OK4WD to have them adjust the bumper. All it needs is an re-alignment and 5 new bolts. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:53 pm 
Supporting Member

I shifted my front bumper and it's pointing down a bit now... not sure if it was because of the winching that I did (likely) or because I used a tree to help me make a turn (accidentally as I thought that I would swing my back end more than I actually did).

Oh, and a broken passenger mirror.. well, not mine... mine works, but it's in Brooklyn now. (you're welcome Tom, I'm glad that I had the part that I could give you)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
Noob

I am just a newbie here and glad to found this kind of forum. last month i just purchased my first car but yesterday, i saw my passenger side mirror with a crack. Now i am planning to buy a new one but im not sure what brand to consider.

Last edited by clarkandrew45 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.