It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BTSR - Prep
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:55 am 
Forum User

So I'll be the dumb one and ask what should I bring and what should I take off of the X?

Sarah said she's going to take off her spare...?

Right now everything is attached to the X, I have not changed anything on it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:19 am 
Forum User

First thing..take off your step rails and your mud flaps. Both come off very easily and you can put them both back on when your done if you wish.

Also, I'm not sure if the 2005's still have them, but take off the center caps from your wheels. They have a tendency to pop off while on the trail, and you'd hate to loose one.

You should be okay with the spare left where it is....a judgement call there I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:00 am 
Noob

Yeah pretty much what Micah said..We can take them off at Scott's if ya want or you can take them off ahead of time..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:25 am 
Forum User

I'll probably take them off ahead of time, just so I'm not lugging around the stuff.

Good idea or bad idea about taking off the spare and putting it in the back of the X? That way if I need it, I'm not going to be trying to get it off during the worst time possible?

Can I just tell you how excited I am! whoohoo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:31 am 
Forum User

Yeah..that's probably the one advantage of taking of the spare..easier to get to..especially if you in some mud or a puddle. Plus, I think it's a pain in the ass to lower the spare on the X, so having it on the roof or in the back would make it easy to grab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:46 am 
Forum User

I don't have anything to put it on up top. So I'll probably just toss it in the back.

Should I bring a tools or anything?

NEWBIE ALERT! :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 pm 
Forum User

oh.. i wasn't gonna take off my spare just for wheeling.. i just want it off, period. my winch key thing broke and i figured there's gotta be SOMEONE with a key i could borrow for a minute to drop it off. That's why i said the botl cutters will be used if i cant find a friggan key.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:16 pm 
You should at least keep it with you at all times.

As luck would have it, as soon as you leave it off, you're going to get a flat.

When I go on a 4wheeling/camping weekend trip, this is an abbreviated list of what I bring:

Tent
Sleeping bag
cooler
food
drinks
First Aid Kit (always in truck)
Fire Extinguisher (always in truck)
Jack (or hi-lift once I get it...hopefully it arrives before B2S)
spare tire
2 tow straps
Clevis'
piece of plywood (you will not believe how useful this is!)
Shovel
come-along (if not riding with a winch equipped vehicle)
Tool box
WATER
5 Gal extra gas
extra fluids (motor oil, tranny oil, gear oil, PS, brakes, coolant, etc)
Extra CV
Extra belts
duct tape
WD40
And more odds and ends...

Yes, it's a long list, but I have never once been stranded on a trail. *Knock on wood*

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:56 pm 
Forum User

heya..Dan? you can be my trail leader anytime!
i always have a pack stuffed with tow straps, axe, flashlights.. the little stuff. never thought to throw some major replacement parts back there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:38 pm 
Supporting Member

I can't fit my spare under the truck anymore because it is too big. I can't put it on top because it is too friggin' heavy and I always have bikes and or kayaks up there. Most of the time it stays at home, I have a tire repair kit as well as a compressor and CO2. When I wheel, it goes in the back of the truck. Even with the lift, I hit my hitch on rocks a lot, I would hate to tear my spare apart.

Tools are good to bring, but there should be plenty there. I bring along air tools and every tool I think I may need.

Dan's list is good, but I don't have all the spare parts. I'm trying to aquire them cheaply, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:33 pm 
I have seen one too many CVs snap off-road. It would be a royal PITA to have to find a way to get the truck off the trail with a shattered CV and then figure out where to get a replacement at 9:PM on a Saturday in Oneonta.

I generally always carry a spare with me, but I think I left it in my garage back home in VA with a lot of other necessary stuff.

Though, if there's a CarQuest near you, they sell Remanufactured ones for ~$60 plus core. I've never had a problem returning the core even 6-8 months after buying the axle...just tell them you haven't had a chance to replace it yet...hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:34 pm 
Supporting Member

I'll have to try that. I was quoted $106 plus core so I was going to look into getting one from a junk yard, but I just havn't had the time to call around during the day. I may just spring for it.

Similar situation for the alternator. $185 plus $100 core charge. I think I may spring for a Mean Green alternator and keep my stock for a spare.

I also talked to my Nissan service department to see if they had anything lying around, but they send all their cores in. They don't recommend the rebuilt alternators or starters and won't install them because they have had too much trouble with them failing and then they have to eat the install costs. The half-shafts, however, they do recommend. Cost for just one CV joint is over $300 plus installation.

They have been very good to me and said that if they get a core for either soon, they'll see if they can give it to me.

For those of you anywhere near Oneonta, the service department at Flagpole Nissan is great. Very honest and helpful. They don't complain about all the mods I have done to my truck. I kinda enjoy going there to show them what I have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:04 pm 
Good to know about Flagpole Scott...

For those of you in Rochester, I'm sure you already know this, but Dorschel Nissan sucks the big one. They tried to tell me they were denying my warranty claim on something I didn't even bring my truck in for....when my truck has been out of warranty for in excess of 50,000 miles....because of the mods I did to it....RIIIGHT.

Also, I had them do an oil change once....hey, shut up, I was new in Rochester, and didn't know any better, and it was February...Anyways...I go to do my next oil change, only to find that the beanhead that had done it before apparently used an IMPACT WRENCH to tighten my drain plug and had stripped the threads out. Meaning, the whole oil pan had to be replaced. I was in Florida at the time, so I couldn't just bring it in and have them do it. So, I brought it to the good Nissan dealer there, had them do it and send the bill to Dorschel. Total cost for that oil change: $2,384. DUMBASSES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:09 pm 
Forum User

Welp it's about as ready as I can get...

I've taken off the step rails, mud flaps, spare tire, and spare tire contraption.

I put the spare in the back laying down though, so I'll still have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:43 pm 
Noob

[quote][i]Originally posted by vengeful[/i]
You should at least keep it with you at all times.

As luck would have it, as soon as you leave it off, you're going to get a flat.

When I go on a 4wheeling/camping weekend trip, this is an abbreviated list of what I bring:

Tent
Sleeping bag
cooler
food
drinks
First Aid Kit
Fire Extinguisher
Jack (or hi-lift once I get it...hopefully it arrives before B2S)
spare tire
2 tow straps
Clevis'
piece of plywood (you will not believe how useful this is!)
Shovel
come-along (if not riding with a winch equipped vehicle)
Tool box
WATER
5 Gal extra gas
extra fluids (motor oil, tranny oil, gear oil, PS, brakes, coolant, etc)
Extra CV
Extra belts
duct tape
WD40
And more odds and ends...

Yes, it's a long list, but I have never once been stranded on a trail. *Knock on wood*

:cool: [/quote]That's a good list..Here's what I have from that list..

Tent (nope)
Sleeping bag (nope)
cooler (yup)
food (yup)
drinks (yup)
First Aid Kit (It's in the buldge)
Fire Extinguisher (nope :( )
Jack (got one)
spare tire (check)
2 tow straps (check)
Clevis' (check)
piece of plywood (Check)
Shovel (check)
come-along (Have a winch ;) )
Tool box (check)
WATER (check)
5 Gal extra gas (nope)
extra fluids (check)
Extra CV (nope)
Extra belts (nope)
duct tape (don't leave home without it ;) )
WD40 (PB Blaster - check)
And more odds and ends... (some of them too)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next