It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

Who would be interested in AOAA for 2019?
I love Rausch Creek, no need to drive further. 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
I'm interested in having runs at both locations each day. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
I'd like 1 day to be exclusively at AOAA. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
I'd like the entire event to take place at AOAA. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: AOAA for 2019?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm 
Noob

Anyone interested in expanding to or switching to Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area next year? It's outside Shamokin.

http://www.aoaatrails.com/

Back in the day when it was possible we had ECXC at both Rausch and Paragon, that was the great.

If we were to do both, either have the option to go to either park each day, or maybe just set aside 1 day, maybe Friday, to take place there.

Rausch is currently $50/vehicle w/ driver + $10/passenger with a $20 base membership.
Current rates at AOAA for single-day are $30/vehicle w/ driver + $15/passenger , no base membership. They also have 2 and 3 day passes for $45 and $55 (passengers $20 and $25) respectively.

I've not been to AOAA yet, at least not as an official park, but I've been there way back about 15 years ago. AOAA is about 45 minutes away from Twin Grove, not too bad a haul for some fresh trails and variety. Anyone been there recently and can comment on how it compares to Rausch? Worth considering given the extra travel?

Post subject: Re: AOAA for 2019?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:13 pm 
Noob

Definitely a place worth wheeling. Trails are nice and tight and very challenging. Plus they got a big asphalt lot with compressors for airing up and lots for catering events. I thumbs up 5 out of 5

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm 
Events Committee Member

we were just there for our fools run
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9523

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 pm 
Club Vice President

Are you volunteering to host & lead runs at AOAA? If you are that's awesome & you could always do that without limiting yourself to the days around ECXC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 pm 
Noob

DirtySocks wrote:
Are you volunteering to host & lead runs at AOAA? If you are that's awesome & you could always do that without limiting yourself to the days around ECXC.

I'm not planning on hosting or leading any proper event there but might try and recruit a handful of folks to trek up to check it out some time.

The purpose of this post is to just put the idea out there of expanding ECXC to AOAA in some capacity, add some variety to the event.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 am 
Club Vice President

Ok, got it. A privately organized trip to AOAA would work.

Any expansion of ECXC officially to a dual location event is exponentially more complicated to organize & plan (organizers availability at both locations, groups planning, trail leaders, etc etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm 
Supporting Member

Was just at AOAA again this weekend. It's a great park. The staff is amazing, there's a food vendor onsite and the asphalt parking lot is a plus.

The green trails are green. The blues are mostly purplish. The blacks are black and reds, red. They're all TIGHT. Many multi point turns are required. Body damage is probable in an Xterra.

My biggest gripe with the place is the lack of decent trail markers. They're working on it, but it's a project.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:36 pm 
Global Moderator

Sorry for the long post. :roll:

I attended the ECXC that offered both parks, wheeled them both that year and have fond memories of the event.

I’ve helped organize and lead runs at both Rausch and AOAA.
I would like to visit AOAA again.
I have volunteered to help organize ECXC for a few years now and have run the morning line up of the event a few times including last year.
I am NOT in charge of the ECXC event in any way; I share my opinion and help when asked by the folks in charge. I bow to their will in how the event is run, when and where it takes place.

That said; every time I have helped organize ECXC it has been a PITA.

You would think that organizing an event for likeminded, self-sufficient mf’ers driving the same make and model vehicle would a relatively simple task.
As far as I can tell it has never been…simple.

It has to date been an exercise akin to herding stray cats.

Everyone has a complaint; it’s too hot, no water provided, no lunch, why no breakfast, no coffee, no vegan option, I want to run with this person, I’m not going to lead that guy, I’m going to run Greens instead of the Blues I signed up for…I could go on and on.

There are sometimes conflicts with other events, someone else already booked the pavilion, the restaurant for Friday night closed or is on vacation.

I’m not even going to get into soliciting sponsors and the fucking raffle.

There always seems to a better way, a preferred date, different food, another campsite, maybe to include different makes, different models, changing the venue…adding another.

I’m sure some things will change over time.

The folks that run the event have had to deal with this stuff year after year so for me the familiarity of Rausch and Twin Grove easies some of the pain of any unforeseen monkey wrench that inevitably gets thrown their way. At least that’s how I see it.

I believe you mean well and want ECXC to thrive. I know that the folks in charge of ECXC welcome all suggestions.

IMHO if you would like to lead a splinter group up to AOAA on Friday I don’t see a problem with it. Kind of defeats the spirt of the whole “ECXC idea” as I see it but then who the f@ck am I.

I know that Gotham Cruisers did something similar a couple years ago during their “Coal Mine Run”.

I believe it would need to be separate from the ECXC groups. NEXTerra/ECXC19 would not provide any organization of it and therefore be exempt from any liability. You’d be on your own so to speak.

As Ernie has pointed out, there was an event at AOAA last April. There is one in November that Stephen is running with GPAX open to all makes and models!

Again, it’s not my call but for me when it comes to ECXC19;

I love Rausch Creek, no need to drive further.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 am 
Noob

Im not suggesting anyone trek to AOAA during ECXC without it being an official ECXC run. Merely throwing out the idea that the planners consider expanding there if there were sufficient interest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 am 
Global Moderator

Despite my initial reservations the NEXterra Officers and Event Committee is looking into this. Stay tuned.