It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Post subject: ECXC Xterra only rules discussion;
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm 
Global Moderator

This thread is so I can explain the Xterra only Rules at ECXC as I understand them, to give you my opinion of them and give you a place to voice yours.

I am not in charge of ECXC or NEXTerra. I do not make the ECXC rules or any rules. I am one voice among an appointed few that have the ear of those who have been elected (more than once) to run NEXTerra and in turn ECXC.

I understand the desire to open up ECXC to other makes and models of truck especially those of you that are not driving an Xterra.

I'd rather not.

The only reason I spend my free time going to and helping run ECXC is because it is an Xterra event. It is the only Xterra event anywhere at any time. It is the event I attend.

The East Coast Xterra Challenge is the only event that guarantees my ability to see other modified Xterra. It is the event where I can interact with the folk that build up and wheel a truck like mine with parts and skill I can use. It has a raffle that is geared toward my truck and my style of off-roading. It has organizers, volunteers and attendees that are willing to teach me something new help me if I get in trouble and make an effort making sure I have a good time.

I can go wheeling with my truck at Rausch and other venues with other makes any weekend of the year. Why deal with the crowds of people who don't know about my truck and, for the most part, frown upon it?

I'd prefer the event (The East Coast Xterra Challenge) dwindles down to three or four Xterra, no raffle, different venue, different time of year, etc. than open it up. But alas it is not up to me…I am but a lone voice from a bygone era when we all went wheeling for wheeling’s sake without dinners or sponsors…

NEXTerra is host to more off-road events and runs that any other Xterra group I know of. Any and all NEXTerra events and runs besides ECXC are open to any make and model vehicle. There was one at Rausch and one up in MA this past January. Did you go? Did you go to any NEXTerra event in 2016?

NEXTerra was asked to be “keeper of the ECXC flame” by its originator Mike G. (swamp wrecker).

Since the inception of ECXC Mike G made exemptions to the Xterra only rule to allow members of the host club (at the time it was the Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club; MAXC) and ECXC sponsors. As it has been since NEXTerra has become the host club The “Xterra only” rules he started still apply;
Quote:
ECXC17 is an Xterra only event.

Exemptions to the Xterra only rule are Supporting Members of The North East Xterra Club (NEXTerra) used as "ECXC17 Staff" and ECXC17 Sponsors.

Post subject: Re: ECXC Xterra only rules discussion;
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:54 pm 
Noob

I agree. There's plenty of other events for other males and models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:30 pm 
Global Moderator

jg8992 wrote:

Males? ECXC ain't no sausage fest bro, the ladies are more than welcome...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:09 pm 
Club Vice President

Bklyn.X wrote:
jg8992 wrote:

Males? ECXC ain't no sausage fest bro, the ladies are more than welcome...

haha...I bet he was a victim of autocorrect. 'Makes' switched to 'males'. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm 
Noob

Stupid auto correct lol MAKES

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm 
Supporting Member

I fully agree with xterra only. It's one event. Personally, I'd prefer no exceptions, but I understand why there are.

sent from a crawlspace...

Post subject: ECXC Xterra only rules discussion;
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:40 am 
Forum User

Second the xterra only and agree. I love this event and everything that goes with it. I've been to other big events and their great. But to me, this is the event of the year, every year. It's when all the xterra people can have something of their own and I get to see friends I keep in contact with but only get to actually see here. I have no qualms with the rule and enjoy it.

The few exceptions I get and understand. For the others, as stated; plenty of other events.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:14 pm 
Forum User

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what's being said, but it sounds like y'all don't want people like Suresh and Ernie there at ecxc because they aren't driving X's regardless of their position in the club?

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" - Phil. 4:13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 pm 
Club Vice President

Scratch wrote:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what's being said, but it sounds like y'all don't want people like Suresh and Ernie there at ecxc because they aren't driving X's regardless of their position in the club?
The rule is Xterra's only. The only time an exception is made is if you are ECXC17 Staff or an ECXC17 Sponsors.

---------------------------------------------
ECXC17 is an Xterra only event.

Exemptions to the Xterra only rule are Supporting Members of The North East Xterra Club (NEXTerra) used as "ECXC17 Staff" and ECXC17 Sponsors.
---------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm 
Club Vice President

This is a long standing rule that is being clarified to avoid any confusion when folks see a few non-Xterra's at ECXC while their non-Xterra friends are denied attendance. All our other NEXterra events are open to all makes/models.

We want to keep the exclusivity of ECXC while being practical to the demands of organizing & running an event of this magnitude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 pm 
Club President

Thank you, Tom, for posting this.

As Tom and Suresh have already stated, this is an Xterra-only event. Yes, there is an exception to the rule, since the beginning of this event - event organizers who help plan & run this event and event sponsors are allowed to bring their vehicle, regardless if it's not an Xterra.

If anyone has an issue with this rule, please feel free to contact me via PM or email.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:42 pm 
Forum User

I have no problems with a singular Xterra-only event. It's in the name. Auto dealerships and manufacturers deal with this, in a way. You can drive anything you want/need to work, but if it's not a trademarked company product, it gets parked in the back/offsite lot where customers can't see it.

We could add a caveat where if an invitee (not staff/sponsor) shows up in anything but a Nissan Xterra, they are allowed to enjoy the trails but can't have any part in official event records, raffles, housing, etc. and cannot directly contribute to wheeling (i.e., trail leading, recovery). Obviously we'd want to try not to deliberately invite non-Xterra people but sometimes things happen (for example, Justin suddenly losing his X and winding up in a Frontier).

If it were that the case that we cut out everyone not in an Xterra, including staff, for example, Suresh and half of the executive committee couldn't (or shouldn't) trail lead, recover, et cetera and would wind up just taking care of back end logistical stuff.

The thing is that as a club, we are not exclusively Xterra anymore (if we ever were). Therefore, to host an Xterra-only event means that we have to exclude our non-Xterra regular members, to the point where we have to turn down Frontiers and Pathfinders too (if there are absolutely no exceptions besides organizers/sponsors). On one hand, it's unfair to non-Xterra people who pay money to be a part of our group. On the other hand, there are so many class-specific race events that you could never enter a different vehicle into. I wouldn't put an Xterra into a Rallycross event, and they probably wouldn't let me in if I did. But maybe I could hang out, watch and support, and negotiate for a solo run on the track after the trophies are handed out and people are cleaning up.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
Forum User

:thumbup:

I have no issues with it being an X only event (with the exception as it stands). I may have misread or misinterpreted how Tom originally wrote it, which is why I had asked about E and S (how could we have an event like that without them?! haha).

I do agree though that its good to have the clarification for those who do have friends wishing to attend who are not X owners.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" - Phil. 4:13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm 
Club Vice President

To put things in perspective - in the calendar year 2016, NEXterra organized or had access to a total of 18 events. All those events, except one (ECXC), were open to all makes & models.

11 - Club events open to all makes & models
    6 - NEA events that our club member had access to, open to all makes/models
    1 - ECXC, exclusive to Xterra's w/ exceptions for staff/sponsors

And there were a few more regional & member organized events that were not included in that list. We are first & foremost a wheeling club, with lots of wheeling opportunities for all makes/models, even if you can't attend ECXC in PA & are not staff/sponsor.

This year, we are seeing new properties open up. Many of these new runs will be open to NEXterra supporting members. Stay tuned to the Club Events & the Supporting Members sections.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:07 pm 
Events Committee Member

8)

Last edited by Bass4Runner on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.