It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: ECXC 2014
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm 
Forum User

Normally I would post this is the Events section, but I wanted everyone to see this and get their input.

Their used to be 2 main Xterra or Nissan Off-Road events in the country, but after their 3rd year, NXM is now the 3rd major contender for attention in the U.S., along with GONE Moab & ECXC.

ECXC is the longest running Nissan Xterra event in the country, but has been far from the strongest for quite a few years now. After seeing the success at NXM 3 a few weekends ago I was left wondering why ECXC has waned as of late. I always have a great time at ECXC, and this past year was no exception, but I always feel in the back of my mind that it could be better.

NXM drew over 70 Xterras the last day of their event, a task that ECXC used to do year after year consistently. ECXC has grown a bit stale, with less excitement and an on again off again challenge that always leaves everyone confused.

I want to see ECXC return triumphantly as the premiere Xterra event in the country. There is no reason that ECXC can not return to it's former glory with a little extra planning, thought, and effort.

I know NeXterra is running ECXC now and I think that is a great thing! I want to get the ball rolling with ideas for making 2014 an excellent ECXC that draws a lot of new attendees and encourages past attendees to return for wheeling, fun, friends, and maybe even some knowledge they didn't have before.

A lot of this starts with sponsors. And, no, I am not just talking about a great raffle or free swag for everyone, but sponsors that can help the logistics of the event and generate publicity as well as contribute to our community through new products, demos, or maintenance.

So, in a paraphrase of John F. Kennedy, I ask not what ECXC can do for you, but what can you do for ECXC?

Who is with? Who wants to get moving and approach this year's ECXC with a new vigor? I know I do!

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack

Post subject: Re: ECXC 2014
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm 
Supporting Member

You know im kinda new here, but whats NXM?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm 
Global Moderator

BKxterra718 wrote:

http://www.nationalxterrameet.org/Natio ... lcome.html

I'm just guessing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Global Moderator

BKxterra718 wrote:

Ha ha, Justin. You crack me up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 am 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
BKxterra718 wrote:

Ha ha, Justin. You crack me up.

Im here all night, be sure to tip your waitress! :guns:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 am 
Noob

I had every intention of going to ECXC this year, however my family planned a vacation during those dates so I was unable to make it. Next year I am going FOR SURE! I would like to help out if I could, but I am unsure how to go about it. Are you just trying to get more sponsors involved? Because it would be sweet to get say Nisstec and PRG (examples) to actually show up at the event! Maybe even shrockworks...we could have them come and each company could actually bring some product to sell. I think that would be a cool idea....especially if they brought like skid plates and stuff to sell I'm sure tons of people would buy them if they were already made and there for purchase. Obviously large items like bumpers wouldn't be doable. Idk this is just an idea I'm spitballing off the top of my head...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 am 
Supporting Member

Truthfully I think we can get more sponsor's out if we targeted a major offroading magazine and pitched them a story for ECXC. With the mag publicity im sure sponsor's will follow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:53 am 
Club President

All good points, Steve. And I appreciate the feedback. Yes, ECXC may have lost some of its original momentum, and we could probably go on and on about what has caused that.

This year was a transitional year for the event; as you previously stated, Nexterra is now running ECXC. Between Michael Girardo and Nexterra events committee members, we had several conference calls for planning and coordinating ECXC 2013. It was a learning experience for us. After talking with the committee throughout the planning stages, and then following up after the event took place, I feel that we are much better prepared for next year.

We are open to suggestions, and appreciate help as plans begin for ECXC 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm 
Global Moderator

BKxterra718 wrote:
Truthfully I think we can get more sponsor's out if we targeted a major offroading magazine and pitched them a story for ECXC. With the mag publicity im sure sponsor's will follow.

Hell of an idea there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:36 pm 
Global Moderator

So, Iā€™ve been thinking about expressing my thoughts about ECXC to the public for a while and figure this is as good a place to share them as any.
First off ECXC is the only event out of the three Stephen mentions as ā€œmainā€ events I ever plan to attend. 4 or 5 hours is about my limit to drive my junk heap to wheel it and Iā€™m not renting a trailer/truck to haul that bitch. Plus I cannot really justify the time off. Maybe after I retire or hit a big lotto prize. At his point in my ā€œwheeling lifeā€ I dislike large events. It is very rare I meet anyone new that I care for and Iā€™d rather the trails I run are void of all but the few folks I trust and like. My meager involvement with ECXC and B2SR is trying to help with this club (another topic all together) and the purely selfish reason of securing venues in which I can wheel my truck with other Xterra folk.

That said;

In my view the ā€œsuccessā€ of NXM is due to one manā€™s tireless and relentless yearlong promotion of the event, himself and his business (B&M Lightbars). He engages folks in a very welcoming, non-threatening and friendly manner that endears him to the masses. I do not believe there is a day of the year that he is not posting something on one of the boards and there is not a week that goes by that there was not a post on several boards mentioning NXM. There is an active Facebook page and Iā€™d be willing to bet it is supported with tweets, a blog, instagram, etc. although I wouldnā€™t know ā€˜cause I donā€™t do that crap. He has surrounded himself with a core of handpicked enthusiastic Xterra folk that do the same.

IMHO activity on the boards and social networks is the only way to get the masses excited and willing to participate. The more active we are the more folks we will attract.

ECXC has, well, Mike G. on the ECXC and NOR board. I try to get threads going on the other boards but letā€™s be realistic; a sarcastic, somewhat threatening, complaining, eye-rolling, suffer no fools PITA from Brooklyn ainā€™t going to bring 'em running..

Is there anyone here that can fill the ā€œdrbandkgbā€ role? Not me, shit, I declined his generous offer to join his team back when he started XN in the fear I would turn folks off.

As Mike said; this was the first year of a new group running ECXCā€¦there have been three since its inception (NXM has had the same one guy). NEXterra needed to get its sea legs leading up to this year and I feel confident an event that IMHO went well will be even better next year.

I agree with the point about sponsors for the event. Last year there was an effort to solicit them via committee. This did not work and one guy ended up doing most of the work at a late date. That guy has now been put in charge and Iā€™m confident the whole deal will go much better.

As far as the ā€œchallengeā€ or ā€œcompā€ Iā€™m done with thatā€¦Bklyn.X is retired from competitionā€¦so I donā€™t care or have an opinion.

There has been talk of inviting other makes and models. I reject this. I go to ECXC to see and wheel with Xterraā€™sā€¦thatā€™s it. I can wheel with (and do wheel with) other types of trucks any other weekend of the year when the park will be less crowded.

There has been talk of changing the dates because of the hot weather. I think that would be a mistake. ECXC has drawn large participation in the past (as you have said) so I doubt thatā€™s the problem.

I have never understood why the dates are not announced ASAP. I know itā€™s the same weekend every year but why not say so?

I agree with Stephen, letā€™s start talking about ECXC now! Start soliciting sponsors now. Put up the 2014 dates on the ECXC board now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:18 pm 
Forum User

As someone who has been to all of them and ran it for 3 years, let me say its a lot more work to pull off than most people know.

I agree with Tom that only Xterra's be allowed to attend.

The magazine angle I have tried for many years. I did get a blurb and some photos in Nissan Sport a few years ago.

In my opinion, the biggest difference between the years when we had a large attendance and now is the camping. In years past we all camped together in one big group. We had a large campfire, everyone hung out as a group. It was great. I really miss that.

I tried every year to find a area or campground where we could do that again but have not had any luck.

Sponsors are getting harder and harder to find. As the economy continues to stagnate, people are less willing to donate merchandise.

As far as the challenge, I always enjoyed it and would like to see it come back in a similar form that I did it in last year. 2 separate challenges so the stock class does not tear up their trucks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:52 am 
Supporting Member

I think Tom nailed it. It needs more of a public face to compete with the others. The separate ecxc forum is only a good idea if people post in it. Otherwise the info gets spread thin. I don't know if it is just me but in the last year we seem to have lost some east coast enthusiasm in general. Not necissarly nexterra but gpax, mdxc, glxc have all been quieter on the boards. I am not sure why...

I think if we cater to fresh blood we can get some more excitement. Green rides can be fun. As someone said in my group yesterday, "any day in the woods is a good day." She was driving a built rubicon trying to lead my wife on her first green run...

I like the idea of everyone camping and partying together but that is mostly for selfish reasons. The bar atmosphere doesn't work great for the kids.... Is there enough space somewhere right on the rausch property? I am not sure that will draw more crowds though. It might just keep people coming back...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 am 
Forum User

Rausch has gotten bigger in there "camping " area but the FJ's and Toyota groups I go wheeling with all stay down the road at the twin grove KOA. Very kid friendly and it's just a cleaner area. I may never go to one of these events but I just wanted to share what other groups do for ideas.

tlca # 22282
proud FJ owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 am 
Forum User

ECXC has been utilizing the Twin Grove Camp Ground (No longer KOA Affiliated) for 4 years now.

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 am 
Forum User

Does TG have a place for a larger bonfire? I know the cabins have the fire pits, but is there anyplace where the whole group can mingle and drink, rather than clique in their cabins?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next