It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Post subject: New MA Inspection Rules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:21 pm 
Forum User

So my mechanic buddies (and now some dealership chain mails) are going on about the new cameras that every inspection station in MA will be required to have starting next year (or sooner). So far as I've read, no standards or charges are actually changing but the increased amount of equipment, especially the video recording of each and every inspection, will be affecting not only wait times (30 minutes for a non-commercial vehicle) but the stringence (stringentess?) of the inspectors. Since it's on video, they won't be able to "overlook" things, if you know what I'm saying. One email I got said that the "two-inch ride height" modification limit might be more strictly enforced, and that sucks. I guess I can lower my shackles and swap my coilovers every year (fortunately my stickers are due in the summer), although I'm also certain that there's actually a formula to determine the individualized limit of modification for a given vehicle. Maybe if I bolt my step rails back on I can give the appearance of a vehicle that's lower than it is, but it's likely that there could be fender measurements.

So, I guess be ready for some nanny state BS next time your sticker runs out. Fortunately I'm in good with my dealership (I kick 'em an oil change every so often and let them handle the things I can't) so if I ask for a pre-inspection they'll do one free of charge and render an opinion as to whether or not I'll pass.

On another note, I was informed of the possibility of some smaller shops simply ceasing to offer inspection due to the cost of the new equipment (which is completely on them).

»»»›‹«««

Post subject: Re: New MA Inspection Rules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm 
Club Secretary

I also hear that there will be no tolerance for exhaust that is louder than stock.

From liftlaws.com
‘In general, vehicles under 10,000 GVWR have a suspension lift limit of 2 inches in Massachusetts.

4x4 vehicles have a maximum suspension lift limit based on this equation:
Lift Limit = (wheelbase x wheel track) / 2200’

So will a calculator be required as a part of the additional equipment? I’m interested to see how this plays out.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 pm 
Forum User

I ran the 2gen X numbers off that formula once and came in just under 3", but who knows if they're going to bother running numbers.

Here's what I was sent by Muzi Chevy:
http://www.muzichevyma.com/details-abou ... eaid=63992

»»»›‹«««

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 pm 
Club Secretary

Track width x wheelbase / 2200 = max legal lift.

Stock 2015 X.
61.8 track width x 106.3 wheelbase = 6,569.34
6,569.34 / 2200 = 2.986063636363636 Inches of lift allowed according to their formula.

I have 1 1/4” wheel spacers. My track width would be 64.3”. Does this change my legal max lift? My tires are wider than stock. Does that increase my track width also? Add further to my max legal lift height?

Where are the measurements to? There is no law for max bumper height, or max frame height in Mass.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
Track width x wheelbase / 2200 = max legal lift.

Stock 2015 X.
61.8 track width x 106.3 wheelbase = 6,569.34
6,569.34 / 2200 = 2.986063636363636 Inches of lift allowed according to their formula.

I have 1 1/4” wheel spacers. My track width would be 64.3”. Does this change my legal max lift? My tires are wider than stock. Does that increase my track width also? Add further to my max legal lift height?

Where are the measurements to? There is no law for max bumper height, or max frame height in Mass.

I would think that they would assume factory specs for calculations.

»»»›‹«««

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm 
Club Secretary

I had my Mass inspection done today. The Frontier passed with no problem.

Fsm states 4wd short wheelbase with 265/75R16 tires ground to wheel arch is 35.08” front 36.14” rear. Yesterday evening my measurements were within 1/8” of 39” all the way around. Looks like approximately 4” front lift and a little under 3” rear.

This is including my 33/12.5-16 tires. Stock is roughly 31.7”. The inspector said Wheels/tires are no issue as long as they don’t stick past the fender more than 2.5”.

Also I have a Banks Monster Exhaust. It’s 2.5”-3” cat-back with a glasspack muffler. It’s slightly louder than stock at idle and much louder than stock under load. Exhaust is supposed to be comparable to stock.

I was also told by the inspector that lift is no issue as long as the ground to door sill measurements is less than 29”. If that’s true I have quite a bit further I can go. The sill height is at 24.5 now. Using the numbers from the FSM and my current numbers, stock should be at about 20.5”. Should I assume that 8.5” over stock on the Frontier is allowed? Should I assume the same heights and measurements apply to the Xterra? Either way, once it’s time, I will be taking the Xterra to the same shop. They are a small business. I do my modifications the right way. It seems like they get it.

Crappy photos from today for reference. The bottom bar of the T-square is 1.5” tall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm 
Supporting Member

I don't know jack squat about MA inspection rules but that's a really nice truck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm 
Club Secretary

Thanks bud! I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 pm 
Events Committee Member

Yeah measurements are to the lower door edge
it was bumpers for a bit years ago then everyone just put add on bumpers to cover measurements.
then it was headlights and people dropped the lights and used the factory as aux.

so bottom of door
no tire past fender
mud flaps can also be enforced if wanted.
exhaust and loudness
we had a db. meter and standards years ago just never enforced
now there is little to no wiggle room for inspectors.

sucks for mass. guys right now.
A lot has to do with how it looks too
if it looks proportional and not outrageous
it should be fine.
if it looks way out that its modified then the tape measure comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 am 
Club Secretary

My guess is most of the reason for the new equipment and monitoring is for the inspectors rather than the vehicles. It’s not only for them. It’s to hold both sides to the rules. It’s for cracking down on stations just passing out stickers to everyone. Or the vehicle owner slipping the inspector a $20 when something is blatant.

I used to go to the same Jiffy Lube for years because they would kinda check the truck. It made it through 3 years in a row with the same license plate light out. I know the light is something simple, and easy to miss. It sets a bar, a pretty low one.

When I was in line, the guy in front of me was back for a retest after being rejected. He told the inspector he did the ball joints, which was indicated in the initial inspection, but the mechanic said it was the steering rack that was causing the issue, not the suspension. The inspector didn’t even let him into the bay. The guy drove off pissed. There’s times to keep your mouth shut and roll the dice. I would have failed it just for being a Chrysler Pacifica.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm 
Global Moderator

murphy wrote:
My guess is most of the reason for the new equipment and monitoring is for the inspectors rather than the vehicles. It’s not only for them. It’s to hold both sides to the rules. It’s for cracking down on stations just passing out stickers to everyone. Or the vehicle owner slipping the inspector a $20 when something is blatant.

I used to go to the same Jiffy Lube for years because they would kinda check the truck. It made it through 3 years in a row with the same license plate light out. I know the light is something simple, and easy to miss. It sets a bar, a pretty low one.

When I was in line, the guy in front of me was back for a retest after being rejected. He told the inspector he did the ball joints, which was indicated in the initial inspection, but the mechanic said it was the steering rack that was causing the issue, not the suspension. The inspector didn’t even let him into the bay. The guy drove off pissed. There’s times to keep your mouth shut and roll the dice. I would have failed it just for being a Chrysler Pacifica.

Truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 pm 
Forum User

Yep. Rules haven't changed, but the watchmen are now being watched.

»»»›‹«««

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm 
Supporting Member

theplasticone wrote:
Yep. Rules haven't changed, but the watchmen are now being watched.

So, WHO exactly do I need to bribe so I can get a limo tint on my front windows? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm 
Forum User

I'd take that to Baker's office.

Now, one way around is to have a set of "inspection" windows that you can swap in and out when the time comes...

»»»›‹«««

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:14 pm 
Supporting Member

theplasticone wrote:
I'd take that to Baker's office.

Now, one way around is to have a set of "inspection" windows that you can swap in and out when the time comes...

:lol: :lol: :lol: