It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Post subject: Re: Diff in progress
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:58 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok so new oil added - just got back from test ride - so far so good - I'm hold off there until I get a few days on a solid hold - but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:49 pm 
Noob

Nice!!

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 am 
Supporting Member

So looks like the seal is no good no leaks over night , drove to work and looks like I have a drip, will have to do it again , I am assuming I can reuse the oil ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am 
Supporting Member

Question? Do most people go complete around holes on diff cover with RTV or like the picture on my first attempt ? Maybe I didn't use enough , feeling a littler defeated

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 am 
Club Vice President

Sorry to hear that... I ran into the same issue once because of having to maneuver the cover onto the diff to clear the rear track bar on the Jeep & then readjusting the cover to align the holes.

And I apply the RTV, the same way as you did, just one continuous bead around - just like you did. The gear oil typically starts seeping out of small leaks only when it hot after running, unless of course there's a huge leak.

Just redo it & be super careful when installing the diff cover lining up the holes before placing the cover on the diff. I also find that cursing at the cover sometimes help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:14 am 
Supporting Member

DirtySocks wrote:
Sorry to hear that... I ran into the same issue once because of having to maneuver the cover onto the diff to clear the rear track bar on the Jeep & then readjusting the cover to align the holes.

And I apply the RTV, the same way as you did, just one continuous bead around - just like you did. The gear oil typically starts seeping out of small leaks only when it hot after running, unless of course there's a huge leak.

Just redo it & be super careful when installing the diff cover lining up the holes before placing the cover on the diff. I also find that cursing at the cover sometimes help.

Thanks bud practice makes perfect , right ? At least now I have the confidence I won't break anything - I'll have keep checking the level until Sunday unless I get dick again tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 am 
Supporting Member

Bear wrote:
DirtySocks wrote:

Thanks bud practice makes perfect , right ? At least now I have the confidence I won't break anything - I'll have keep checking the level until Sunday unless I get dick again tomorrow

Of course that's "sick". Too funny almost wet myself when I reread damn autocorrect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:13 pm 
Supporting Member

Not sure if itsbeen mentioned, but make sure not to over torque the bolts for the cover. Many, myself included have snapped bolts trying to torque them down to stock specs. Hand tight, plus a few turns should be sufficient.

sent from a crawlspace...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:29 pm 
Supporting Member

JeffPro4x wrote:
Not sure if itsbeen mentioned, but make sure not to over torque the bolts for the cover. Many, myself included have snapped bolts trying to torque them down to stock specs. Hand tight, plus a few turns should be sufficient.

Thanks Jeff believe me that crossed my mind , just went through broken bolts on my bump stops and brakes and it was not fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 pm 
Supporting Member

Bear wrote:
Ok cover off, old gasket scraped off with plastic putty knife ( pita) now the crucial bead of rtv - then wait 20....

Did you wait 20 minutes after applying the RTV before putting the cover on? If so, that could be the cause of your leak. The outer surface of the RTV will set up quickly and possibly cause gaps. A continuous 1/8" bead is all you need, and I usually go fully around the bolt holes. Use Gear Oil RTV, and put the cover on as soon as possible. If at all possible, let the RTV cure before filling with oil. For example, put the cover on then get up early the next morning to fill it.

Bear wrote:
.. I am assuming I can reuse the oil ?

I suppose you could it you are careful and keep everything clean, but IMO gear oil is cheap so just replace it with fresh oil.

Another option is to order a Lubelocker gasket and be done with the RTV.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:24 pm 
Supporting Member

Okay so latest update / well first thanks to everyone for the info & good juju so came home last night , topped of the oil, re torque the bolts , and drain plug and dare I say - maybe I shouldn't - but

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:47 am 
Noob

JeffPro4x wrote:

I'm replacing my cover with the ARB as soon as it comes in and opted for the Lubelocker gasket. I'm a novice when it comes to wrenching, I could really use a definitive point to tighten the bolts to. And, I just got a torque wrench to do the job and now you're saying I don't need one . . . :bang:

It's going to be an adventure when all my suspension parts come in . . . what have I gotten myself into . . . ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:59 am 
Supporting Member

Mc-Terra wrote:
JeffPro4x wrote:

I'm replacing my cover with the ARB as soon as it comes in and opted for the Lubelocker gasket. I'm a novice when it comes to wrenching, I could really use a definitive point to tighten the bolts to. And, I just got a torque wrench to do the job and now you're saying I don't need one . . . :bang:

It's going to be an adventure when all my suspension parts come in . . . what have I gotten myself into . . . ?

Good read on the [url="http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6951"]Diff Bolts[/url]

You'll definitely need your torque wrench for the suspension. Just remember to torque all the bolts while the truck is on the ground, not on stands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 pm 
Noob

JeffPro4x wrote:
Good read on the [url="http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6951"]Diff Bolts[/url]

You'll definitely need your torque wrench for the suspension. Just remember to torque all the bolts while the truck is on the ground, not on stands.

Thanks for the cautionary tail. I might be buying some new bolts for this bit of work. . .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:47 pm 
Supporting Member

Mc-Terra wrote:
JeffPro4x wrote:

Thanks for the cautionary tail. I might be buying some new bolts for this bit of work. . .

I did. After I snapped 2 and need a helicoil in 1